Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
Attrition for the month of Sept was 40. The breakdown is as follows:

Deceased - 1
Ground Job - 1
Resigned - 11
released - 5
Retired - 27

I know that adds up to 45, but 5 returned to the line from ground jobs. I have no word on retirements from the furloughed side, but the latest figures are that 379 of 460 accepted recall, which is 82.4%. 209 of the first 260 (80.4%) and 170 of the second 200 (85%).

The first four classes are booked as follows:

9/24 - 49
10/1 - 46
10/8 - 52
10/15 - 54

The next three:

11/5 - 55
11/12 - 55
11/19 - 46

MK, live from DFW

MK,

Which class are you in?
The first, 9/24. More than half the training is now behind me.

Let me add that I'm very impressed with everything I've seen so far. People couldn't be nicer, the food at FU is wonderful, the hotel excellent, and we had the tour of AFW on Friday and it is an awesome facility.

I'm really beginning to feel good about being a part of all this, and I can't wait to start flying.

MK (live from DFW)

Let me add that I'm very impressed with everything I've seen so far. People couldn't be nicer, the food at FU is wonderful, the hotel excellent, and we had the tour of AFW on Friday and it is an awesome facility.

I'm really beginning to feel good about being a part of all this, and I can't wait to start flying.

MK (live from DFW)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And a LOT of us also can't wait for you to get airborne as well.
I'm really happy for you.

Also(MK), care to wager a guess as to when you think you might be able to "hold a bid" in LGA ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also(MK), care to wager a guess as to when you think you might be able to "hold a bid" in LGA ?
The rotating reserve policy will ensure I hold three months then one month on reserve. I believe reserve runs about 12 years now at LGA, and of course those of us coming online will push seniors off. 119 of us come to LGA on 11/13, and more will come from the second group on 12/18.

Progress will be better is there is expansion, and when the base manager met with us the first week he seemed confident there would be international expansion out of JFK in 2009.

MK (in DFW)

MK (live from DFW)
MK:
Very cool..welcome back to you all!

Peace,
Art Tang
IMA

MK (live from DFW)

Ok, now I'm jealous. I never got a tour of AFW. :angry:

MK (live from DFW)

EXCELLENT !!

welcome back..its great to hear that all is going well.
I am sure the folks on the line will welcome you back with open arms..
I know I will

hope to fly with you soon
AC

The rotating reserve policy will ensure I hold three months then one month on reserve. I believe reserve runs about 12 years now at LGA, and of course those of us coming online will push seniors off. 119 of us come to LGA on 11/13, and more will come from the second group on 12/18.

Progress will be better is there is expansion, and when the base manager met with us the first week he seemed confident there would be international expansion out of JFK in 2009.

MK (in DFW)

Mark,

Good news about the expansion. Glad to see you are excited to get back to work.

When do you start?

I heard a rumor on the line about the returning foruloughs. I heard that the call backs who start in november will do availability for November and then a full month of reserve in December. I heard those who start in December will serve reserve for the remainder of the month and NOT availability. I was wondering if you had heard anything about that?

Traditionally, it has always been that you do availability when you start and then the next month you do a full month of reserve. Have they said anything to you guys about the avbl/rsv thing when you finish your training? If so, those on reserve instead of avbl for dec are getting hosed and those who served a whole month of reserve vs. 1/2 are also getting hosed.

There was something put out by the Blessed Order of the Perpetually Trip-Removed the other day. IIRC, they have signed another side LOA with the company to allow this.

you're f'ing kidding me? WTH are we getting out of this to sign off on a LOA?

Nothing. There was something weird about the December people that they would be on reserve for part of December and part of January. I'll see if I can find it again.

10/26/07, 2317 CDT

Found it. There wasn't an LOA, but there was some kind of agreement between AA and BOPTR. Here's the text of the APFA Hotline for 10/20 that applied to what we are talking about... (bolding is mine)

"With the recent furlough recall announcement, increased headcount and base transfers come into play. With that comes an unprecedented challenge for APFA and AA regarding base assignments for our recalled members reporting to base on either November 13th or December 18, 2007. APFA has worked with AA to ensure that seniority prevails when our recalls receive their base assignments. This solution was reached following extensive discussions between various departments at AA, the APFA Contract and Scheduling Departments and the Base Chairs and Vice Chairs of the base representing the FAs while on furlough and the bases representing the FAs upon their return.

The following will apply to a small number of recalled FAs reporting to LGA or DCA on December 18, 2007: A limited number of bid lines will be included on the December bid sheet that contain Reserve days from December 18th through January 16th and days available for the remainder of January. The FAs holding these special selections will be a small number of those recalled FAs reporting to base on December 18th. This process will allow for a greater number of FAs from the first wave of recalls to be able to report to their first or second base choice in seniority order, as well as allow for efficient coverage of Open Time for AA during the critical manning period in the last two weeks of December. Further details will be posted on APFA’s Recall page at www.apfa.org. While this has been a challenging issue for APFA, we are pleased that the challenge is due to our finally having some recalls returning to the line! Thanks to all parties involved in finding a resolution to this unique situation."

(I'm not sure how being on reserve or not has a thing to do with seniority order of base assignments, but the APFA and the company found a way for it to relate.)

A little more background: They announced base assignments for the first 260 (193 actually went through or are still in training) and said the next 200 would be assigned bases according to what was available at the time. This means someone junior could get ORD (very popular since many of us are from STL and the surrounding area) when our senior group was denied. The company took the stand that it was two recalls, the union pointed out that all letters went out on the same day and had to be returned the same day.

This compromise allowed 70 of the senior group to go to ORD on 11/13 but threw off the company's manpower distribution. The LOA is an attempt to make things right while preserving the company's manpower needs. It's a one-time thing, not a change in the contractual way of handling things. It's supposed to affect about twenty people.

MK

A little more background: They announced base assignments for the first 260 (193 actually went through or are still in training) and said the next 200 would be assigned bases according to what was available at the time. This means someone junior could get ORD (very popular since many of us are from STL and the surrounding area) when our senior group was denied. The company took the stand that it was two recalls, the union pointed out that all letters went out on the same day and had to be returned the same day.

This compromise allowed 70 of the senior group to go to ORD on 11/13 but threw off the company's manpower distribution. The LOA is an attempt to make things right while preserving the company's manpower needs. It's a one-time thing, not a change in the contractual way of handling things. It's supposed to affect about twenty people.

MK

Thanks for the clarification. I still think the union should have told them to go blow. The company knew how the base trade thing was supposed to contractually go and they also knew they would be calling people back. They should have announced ' we will be sending out recall letters and these bases will be the ones they go to unless those already on company property decide to transfer by 00/00/00' or they simply should not have announced where the recalls were going to be based until they got to training and they realized where they were needed.

It just kills me that the union is always so willing to help the company clean up the mess they made by making agreements outside the contract.