Service to Georgia

ICUNMCO

Aug 29, 2002
Been buzzing around the system lately, heard it from 3 seperate pilots and a trainer in Dallas that SWA has been in Macon GA looking at the airport. Been hearing in the rumor mill that the State of GA is mad at the way the City of Atlanta is running ATL and has been looking at the choices for an alternate.[BR][BR]Anybody else heard anything about that? Would Macon be a good choice to start service to Georgia. With DL planning on taking on SWA with the new LLC, would SWA stir up the pot by starting service to GA?[BR][BR]

The only thing SWA would stir up in Macon would be a load of tumbleweeds. Not much going on there, and I seriously doubt there is any such credibility to such a rumor.

The only thing SWA would stir up in Macon would be a load of tumbleweeds. Not much going on there, and I seriously doubt there is any such credibility to such a rumor.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 7:18:16 AM luv2fly wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Make that kudzu in Macon

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 7:18:16 AM luv2fly wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Make that kudzu in Macon

Delta used to fly ATL-MCN with DC-9s. They stopped during the PATCO strike. They now use ASA for the route. Total flight time is about 20 minutes. ASA has a maintenance base there. I just don't know how much traffice Southwest would generate with high frequency service. I can see maybe running 3 flights a day into the place but not any more than that unless the fares were low enough to pull people from the Atlanta metro area.

Delta used to fly ATL-MCN with DC-9s. They stopped during the PATCO strike. They now use ASA for the route. Total flight time is about 20 minutes. ASA has a maintenance base there. I just don't know how much traffice Southwest would generate with high frequency service. I can see maybe running 3 flights a day into the place but not any more than that unless the fares were low enough to pull people from the Atlanta metro area.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/6/2002 7:57:34 AM fastbreak wrote:
[P]I can see maybe running 3 flights a day into the place but not any more than that unless the fares were low enough to pull people from the Atlanta metro area.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Thats part of the point. You place an airport in close proximity to a fortress hub and run a few flights - enough to trash the CRS such that the low fares junk yields out of the fortress hub.[/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/6/2002 7:57:34 AM fastbreak wrote:
[P]I can see maybe running 3 flights a day into the place but not any more than that unless the fares were low enough to pull people from the Atlanta metro area.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Thats part of the point. You place an airport in close proximity to a fortress hub and run a few flights - enough to trash the CRS such that the low fares junk yields out of the fortress hub.[/P]

Macon really isn't all that close to the Atlanta metro area, though. You might get a rare few pax from the southern end of town, but don't count on many, particularly with Airtran in town at Hartsfield (why drive that far when you don't have to and can still get the same fare?). service to GA may be a good idea, but I don't think Macon is the place to start.

Macon really isn't all that close to the Atlanta metro area, though. You might get a rare few pax from the southern end of town, but don't count on many, particularly with Airtran in town at Hartsfield (why drive that far when you don't have to and can still get the same fare?). service to GA may be a good idea, but I don't think Macon is the place to start.

Macon might not be such a bad idea. There are lots of business travellers that drive to Atlanta from 2, 3, or even 4 hours south of there as well. So, if they can drive half the distance, and get a better fare to where they are going, there might be some attraction there as well. If SWA was going to fly to GA, and not ATL, Macon is a very logical choice I would think. Macon is not much more than an hour from ATL by car is it? I know that lots of the major manufacturers in GA are looking to cut costs wherever, and travel expense is definitely one of them. I am not saying it will or won't work, but it is not as far fetched as one might think.

On a side note, is there any chance that LUV might come to SC anytime soon? I grew up in GA, but live in Columbia now. Would be nice to be able to get some SWA flights.

Macon might not be such a bad idea. There are lots of business travellers that drive to Atlanta from 2, 3, or even 4 hours south of there as well. So, if they can drive half the distance, and get a better fare to where they are going, there might be some attraction there as well. If SWA was going to fly to GA, and not ATL, Macon is a very logical choice I would think. Macon is not much more than an hour from ATL by car is it? I know that lots of the major manufacturers in GA are looking to cut costs wherever, and travel expense is definitely one of them. I am not saying it will or won't work, but it is not as far fetched as one might think.

On a side note, is there any chance that LUV might come to SC anytime soon? I grew up in GA, but live in Columbia now. Would be nice to be able to get some SWA flights.

I don't think Southwest will add a city unless it can support 8 to 12 round trips a day to at least 2 destinations. Can Macon really do that? And traffic getting out of ATL (heck any traffic on I-75 from ATL to Florida) can be a bear.

I don't think Southwest will add a city unless it can support 8 to 12 round trips a day to at least 2 destinations. Can Macon really do that? And traffic getting out of ATL (heck any traffic on I-75 from ATL to Florida) can be a bear.