Severe Irregular Ops

MarkMyWords

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
In another thread, my pal PA18 had some constructive and creative suggestions for Severe Irregular Ops situations.

"Provide some type of on site link between the hub stations and Crew Scheduling to facilitate rescheduling crews."

I know that a huge downfall for this past weekends event was trying to stop people from getting to the airport. Had we had a better system for contacting customers - BEFORE they left for the airport - it would have gone a long way to eliminating the lines at the airport.

I am curious about other ideas people have.

Also, I have read over and over how once people were in line at the airport, "No one gave us any information." This always perplex's me. Let's say I am in CLT. We have had 12 International Diversions with an average of 200 customer on each flight. 2400 Customers are in line to be rebooked. How, as a station employee, do I effectively communicate to 2400 people? What information are they looking for? It would be impossible for someone to stand up and make an announcement regarding flights, because not everyone is bound for the same destination. I can't walk through the line without getting questions like, When is the next flight to BOS? Are there seats available? etc. People were handed hotel letters to assist them in making overnight arrangements and were told to contact reservations to assist in rebooking. Yet 90% of those same people would take the hotel sheet and res number and stand in line at the Airport while on hold with reservations. Once they rebooked with reservations they would remain in line and tell the agent, "Res rebooked me for Sunday, isn't there anything better that you can do?"

My point is, people expect immediate information about their situation. Rightfully so. But how can you realy information to a crowd of several thousand people that all have different problems, destination, concerns?

I am looking for constructive ideas and suggestions on how to handle situations like this....not more complaining.

Best of luck to you Bob.

Now, anyone with suggestions, ideas, recommedations on how to handle airport issues during severe irregular ops?

I know that a huge downfall for this past weekends event was trying to stop people from getting to the airport. Had we had a better system for contacting customers - BEFORE they left for the airport - it would have gone a long way to eliminating the lines at the airport.

Mark my friend. US called my cell phone at 3am Monday morning to inform me they canceled my 7am flight. Now some people will say that a 4 hour time window is fair enough to let you know about your canceled flight.

Unfortunately, US canceled my flight and the canned message told me to call another 1-800# to rebook. Now what I want to know is at what time did US actually know that the flight I was scheduled on was going to be canceled. Calling me at 3am was asinine if US knew well before that. And why should I have to hear a canned message instead of an actual reservation agent? US knows my elite status. I'm not flying for pleasure at 7am I'm flying for work.

So I call the CP line and I get another canned message that the time for being on hold is 20 minutes. 20 fracking minutes at 3 in the fracking morning!?!? WTF !?! And this was the CP desk. That is inexcusable.

So I remain on hold with US and call AMEX corporate travel. AMEX manages to answer my call within 2 minutes. So while on hold with US I try to figure out how I can get my a$$ to work. I'm checking the US website, the AMEX agent is checking every airline they have access to and I'm looking at the SOUTHWEST website as well. Still holding for US, and talking with AMEX, I pick up my home office phone and call SOUTHWEST. Amazingly a REAL LIVE PERSON answers the phone on the 2nd or 3rd ring!! WOW !! I about fell off my chair.

By now I've hung up on US. Still talking with AMEX. I decide to remain flying on US on Monday and have AMEX reschedule my entire trip which will now require me to drive another 2 hours to get to my final destination for work on Monday morning.

Now let's go back to "the OLD US". Had this scenario happened a few years ago, I would have been able to call the CP desk and get a resolution within a matter of minutes. Even UA, with all the problems they have with weather have managed to make my travel plans with them a heck of a lot easier than this current incarnation of "LCC".

I don't know if I want US or LCC or whatever you want to call yourselves to be flying anymore. Maybe it would have been better for US to shutter it's doors and taken it's last flight 2 years ago. Since HP started running the show it simply SUCKS.

Be proactive instead of reactive....

Everyone here knows that it only takes some rain for PHL to turn into a quagmire (no pun intended). Regardless of the forecast for PHL itself, it was pretty obvious that the NE was going to have a major storm on Friday, and that storm would impact PHL significantly.

- Allow change of travel plans without fees/penalties a day or two in advance. For every person that rebooks their Friday travel to another day, you've helped 2 people - the person changing and the person that now has another empty seat to be rebooked in on storm day.

- Pre-cancel some flights. Better to have the planes/crews where you want them when it's time to recover than to have them where Mother Nature or FAA duty limits put them.

- Think about using some pre-planned overflights of PHL (or whichever hub the bad weather is going to affect. In conjunction with #1, that could save a lot of passengers and front-line employees grief.

- Based on comments by agents here, either get QIK/Shares brought up to the 21st century or toss it out. Apparently rerouting passengers is a nightmare in QIK, taking far too long which leads to passengers waiting hours in line.

- As a corollary to that, if the airline is going to staff based on technology working 100% of the time, make damn sure that it works 100% of the time or fire the people responsible (and that might start with Kirby/Parker based on what was reportedly said). Otherwise, change the staffing.

In short, don't be stuck in the mind-set that the schedule has to be flown as published until the whole operation is a shambles and it takes a week to recover. (Actually, Parker said "by Monday" - the 10th day after the storm). You can run a decent airline or you can run a cheap airline, but it's nearly impossible to run a decent cheap airline.

Be proactive instead of reactive....

Everyone here knows that it only takes some rain for PHL to turn into a quagmire (no pun intended). Regardless of the forecast for PHL itself, it was pretty obvious that the NE was going to have a major storm on Friday, and that storm would impact PHL significantly.

- Allow change of travel plans without fees/penalties a day or two in advance. For every person that rebooks their Friday travel to another day, you've helped 2 people - the person changing and the person that now has another empty seat to be rebooked in on storm day.

- Pre-cancel some flights. Better to have the planes/crews where you want them when it's time to recover than to have them where Mother Nature or FAA duty limits put them.

- Think about using some pre-planned overflights of PHL (or whichever hub the bad weather is going to affect. In conjunction with #1, that could save a lot of passengers and front-line employees grief.

- Based on comments by agents here, either get QIK/Shares brought up to the 21st century or toss it out. Apparently rerouting passengers is a nightmare in QIK, taking far too long which leads to passengers waiting hours in line.
As a corollary to that, if the airline is going to staff based on technology working 100% of the time, make damn sure that it works 100% of the time or fire the people responsible (and that might start with Kirby/Parker based on what was reportedly said). Otherwise, change the staffing.

In short, don't be stuck in the mind-set that the schedule has to be flown as published until the whole operation is a shambles and it takes a week to recover. (Actually, Parker said "by Monday" - the 10th day after the storm). You can run a decent airline or you can run a cheap airline, but it's nearly impossible to run a decent cheap airline.

Jim,
Truer words were never spoken. Your advice is just what this airline needs to listen to.

How about having the web site show the Saturday morining flights canceled. THey all showed "On TIme" US was the only airline at NE station that had customers show up. Everyone else canceled.

Never thought I would say this but I can't imagine this occuring when A.C was in charge of OPS

How about researching decisions before making them? History does repeat itself. Or better yet, do a poll. On this site. It could save millions.