Shares vs. Sabre

legacy-to-LCC

Veteran
Feb 20, 2004
knowing that the res migration was (and continues to be) a complete disaster, i think it would be helpful to have a better sense of how shares continues to fail, preferably in a comparative example.
i have deep respect for our agents who find themselves strangled by this system, but i don't have a layman's appreciation for what exactly your struggles are.
what are some of the deficiencies? why is it a "pig"?
can anybody articulate the new system in a way that those of us who do not use it can understand?
many thanks!

Tadjr constantly hits the nail on the head. There is so much that requires update to bring at least, east, back to what is functionable.
Reasearch his threads, and you will find a vast amount of information.
The personal beef that comes to mind, (I'm admitantly spent) is flight availibility in the event of rerouting. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not eevery once in a while, but EVERY DAY!! Ask shares for availibility at 10:00 AM and it will give you a limited amount of flights (not nessesarily on US) starting at 6am.
If it is 9:00 in the morning, why would I want to look at flights at 6am, they are gone already. The constant f2,f2,f2,f2 just to get you to the time of day that you need, and it doesnt matter if you put a time of day in there.
Half the time, I still think it isn't set up for US flights. You request a routing that should be compliant with US and it gives you other airlines including WN first.
Alas, this is but a small percentage of what is wrong with shares.
It is just that bad.

If it is 9:00 in the morning, why would I want to look at flights at 6am, they are gone already. The constant f2,f2,f2,f2 just to get you to the time of day that you need, and it doesnt matter if you put a time of day in there.
It may be the Philly Factor, the 6:00am flight may still be at the gate at 9:00am. Now seriously, the system, from using the web, should put flights that are nonstop first then direct flights, and finally the connections. OK, even a direct flight appears in the schedule screen as a connection. It can be easily missed, even by a regular user. And can they do away with those icons for each express carrier, including HP. The direct flights should be listed easier.

Half the time, I still think it isn't set up for US flights. You request a routing that should be compliant with US and it gives you other airlines including WN first.
Alas, this is but a small percentage of what is wrong with shares.
It is just that bad.
Maybe that's telling something, fly Southwest

:lol: You would think, wouldn't ya.
They are good at selling something. The flights are full and there's no where to put reroutes. :down:

Shares does not inhibit check-in on delayed or canceled flights. There are many times a customer will arrive at the gate to find out the flight has been cxld, after just checking in at the kiosk. Also, flifo does not give you access to upline flight info. What inbound flight# makes up my outbound flight? Ummm...let me check infax...

INTERNATIONAL REISSUES?? Against a PAPER TICKET?? Do you have an hour or 2 to spare? Absolutely friggin' ridiculous! :angry: An international reissue in Sabre, if not too complex, would take me maybe 5 minutes to complete...especially the Dividend Miles award tickets were very simple...now it's like an act of congress to get this stuff done, not to mention the wait time on hold to rates. So in that sense...YES, QIk on SHARES is a "PIG". The TIPS reissue mask, ctrl alt R is hit or miss, sometimes it works, but most of the time it DOESN'T! So how are we supposed to add collect the funds that are due to US Airways??

Shall I continue.....???

How about trying to do tickets with a multiple form of payment... you have to handwrite a credit card form, I called the help desk and you put in the cash and then the credit card info with the credit card approval, by the way you have to get prior to trying to ticket .. I told the help desk flat out that you 've got to be kidding, this is 2007 and I have to handwrite a cc form, then I said SABER didn't make you do that!!!! and god forbid to have more than one person in the record with different forms of payment, been there done that one, This is ten steps backwards and I mean way back... Hey Tempe .... Do You want to get up to speed with this program
A very tired and pissed off agent....
Ps... I am fairly competent to this system so far, and when my wrists and fingers are twisted in pain from sooooooo many key strokes for one entry,,, I guess that would be considered an on the job injury... :down:

The standby list at the gate is horrible - too much info and no way to clear people further down the list. If you only have one seat and the first on the list is a party of two that won't split you have to have a supervisor redo the list in order to clear the next in line. But the worst thing is availability - I asked for a flight on a Friday and it gave me a nonstop flight on Saturday then went to the connecting flights on Friday. Now I understand how people show up expecting to fly and be booked for the wrong day. I no longer even try to collect the change fee - just invol with res error. The best thing that could happen to this system is to put it on the ramp and let a jet run over it.

Here's another (of many) major annoyances (deficiencies) of this system: Example: Party of five, same last name, in same PNR. They are confirmed on later flight but want to standby for your earlier flight.
First you have to add a PD segment to the PNR for the flight they want to standby for. (Ctrl G, F3 doesn'nt work here - you get response - "multi party exists - divide record"). That's right, you now must divide EACH psg out of the PNR, and then proceed to check EACH psg in using the "W" for waitlist, just to get them on the standby list.
This used to take about 6 seconds in SABRE - now takes multiple minutes while your line continues to get longer. Then you say "NEXT", and move on to the next extremely time consuming transaction. Gee, and I thought corporate technology was supposed to move forward toward the purpose of speed and efficiency. That rule does not apply here. Sad but true.

Here's another (of many) major annoyances (deficiencies) of this system: Example: Party of five, same last name, in same PNR. They are confirmed on later flight but want to standby for your earlier flight.
First you have to add a PD segment to the PNR for the flight they want to standby for. (Ctrl G, F3 doesn'nt work here - you get response - "multi party exists - divide record"). That's right, you now must divide EACH psg out of the PNR, and then proceed to check EACH psg in using the "W" for waitlist, just to get them on the standby list.
This used to take about 6 seconds in SABRE - now takes multiple minutes while your line continues to get longer. Then you say "NEXT", and move on to the next extremely time consuming transaction. Gee, and I thought corporate technology was supposed to move forward toward the purpose of speed and efficiency. That rule does not apply here. Sad but true.
All of this can be done easer and faster in native SHARES

Let me put it to you this way: With Sabre I can work a A321 or 757 BY MYSELF, put parents and children together that had seats all over the cabin, upgrade our Elites in proper order, issue RTFC's rebook the VOL's and get the plane out 15 minutes early. Oh, and the flight would be closed out ready for departure before the plane pushes back from the gate. ALL are happy. Need I say more.........

Let me put it to you this way: With Sabre I can work a A321 or 757 BY MYSELF, put parents and children together that had seats all over the cabin, upgrade our Elites in proper order, issue RTFC's rebook the VOL's and get the plane out 15 minutes early. Oh, and the flight would be closed out ready for departure before the plane pushes back from the gate. ALL are happy. Need I say more.........
NOPE wish I had it ever single day. Still dreaming the day I walk in and the company switch back.
Saber is a grrrrrrreeeeeat system. Still use it regularly to track flights on/off time a/c routings wex etc.

Shares does not inhibit check-in on delayed or canceled flights. There are many times a customer will arrive at the gate to find out the flight has been cxld, after just checking in at the kiosk.
Shall I continue.....???
This is a MAJOR PROBLEM this is why the hubs and focus cities get dump on…and the baggage system gets so back up

The standby list at the gate is horrible - too much info and no way to clear people further down the list. If you only have one seat and the first on the list is a party of two that won't split you have to have a supervisor redo the list in order to clear the next in line.
It's not that hard to reorder the standby list and you don't need a supervisor to do it...BUT it is time consuming, especially when the flight leaving in 10 minutes. When clearing a nearly full flight with only a couple of seats left, I always use option 5, clear individual coach. Reorder standby list is Ctrl X f5 I think...I've had to do it a couple of times.

It's not that hard to reorder the standby list and you don't need a supervisor to do it...BUT it is time consuming, especially when the flight leaving in 10 minutes. When clearing a nearly full flight with only a couple of seats left, I always use option 5, clear individual coach. Reorder standby list is Ctrl X f5 I think...I've had to do it a couple of times.
How many more keystrokes is this vs saber. 10 maybe

Latest posts