Shop Stewards new athority

proAMT

Advanced
Dec 3, 2005
SEA
Where I work the Shop Stewards have been given the authority to tell people to get back to work if he feels they are spending too much time away from the work area. The shop stewards that are supposed to defend us from the company are now expected to inform supervision as to who is not returning to work on time after break or lunch.
I consider such behavior as being an assistant supervisor rather than a defender of the worker. If the guy wants to be the boss GO MANAGEMENT!
So far the one steward who has attempted to use his new authority has had his butt chewed everytime he attempted to use it.
Using union brothers to rat each other out?
Not really sure they know what union is all about.

Let supervisors worry about supervising we need to worry about fixing the plane rather than ratting each other out.

Where I work the Shop Stewards have been given the authority to tell people to get back to work if he feels they are spending too much time away from the work area. The shop stewards that are supposed to defend us from the company are now expected to inform supervision as to who is not returning to work on time after break or lunch.
I consider such behavior as being an assistant supervisor rather than a defender of the worker. If the guy wants to be the boss GO MANAGEMENT!
So far the one steward who has attempted to use his new authority has had his butt chewed everytime he attempted to use it.

Let supervisors worry about supervising we need to worry about fixing the plane rather than ratting each other out.

What is burchette's stance on this?

What is burchette's stance on this?

As if there is ANY stance a union person could take on this, that would make it right.

The individual stewards should be brought up on charges, if this was done with the consent of the union leadership then they too should be brought up on charges, and be removed/recalled.

There is no excuse for this, period.

As if there is ANY stance a union person could take on this, that would make it right.

The individual stewards should be brought up on charges, if this was done with the consent of the union leadership then they too should be brought up on charges, and be removed/recalled.

There is no excuse for this, period.

This kind of action is sanctioned by the top dog in the union, a six year manAAgement employee himself. With the twu, union charges are only reserved for AMFA shirts. Heck, we just had a shop steward testify against a member in a termination arbitration and the union refuses to remove him from that position. We have no union, just a dues collection agency that polices the workforce on behalf of the company. :down:

This kind of action is sanctioned by the top dog in the union, a six year manAAgement employee himself. With the twu, union charges are only reserved for AMFA shirts. Heck, we just had a shop steward testify against a member in a termination arbitration and the union refuses to remove him from that position. We have no union, just a dues collection agency that polices the workforce on behalf of the company. :down:

I sure hope you guys are still collecting cards.

I guess the folks in TULSA are still happy with the TWU..

After all, like Burchette said on the CNN special, he's going to put his hands DEEP into the company's pockets come contract time. The problem is, his hands are only going in Carmine's pockets for a little self gratification!

What he meant by getting in the companys pockets and retrieving money only applied for himself. As usual the membership will not get anything but lint.

Where I work the Shop Stewards have been given the authority to tell people to get back to work if he feels they are spending too much time away from the work area.

So who tells the Shop Steward they are spending too much time away from their work area playing Hall Monitor?

That'd never work here,we've got Stewards who always seem to be on 'UB' whenever the sky is cloudy. :lol:

How is a shop steward telling someone to get back to work any different from a crew chief doing the same thing?

How is a shop steward telling someone to get back to work any different from a crew chief doing the same thing?

Good point!

Remember, the union is obligated to defend the do-nothing chocks as well as those who carry their own and those deadbeats' weight!

From the original post:

"The shop stewards that are supposed to defend us from the company are now expected to inform supervision as to who is not returning to work on time after break or lunch."

There is a difference between your example and informing. A very big difference.

Are you serious? Or are you simply ignorant?

A Crew Chief is responsible for the completion of work assigned to his/her shift. Knowing where your crew is sort of helps in accomplishing this task. It is the AMT's responsibility to inform the Crew Chief where they are/will be if out of the break room area.

The Shop Stewards should take care of union business to protect the union member. Let management roam the halls if need be.

Informing management is clearly a conflict of interest.

But that said, I see a lot of value in fixing problems on a peer to peer basis before they get noticed by management. At the very least, if it's a steward or crew chief calling the ee on it, it's not documented, it can't be used against the member in a grievance, and doesn't give management anything with which to start a witch hunt.

Let a manager or supervisor do that for you, and it's just as likely to be documented in a CR-1 for use in the future, since CR-1's persist for the life of the employee.

I sure hope you guys are still collecting cards.

No to be perfectly honest we are not collecting cards in Tulsa. 99.9% in Tulsa realize there is a real problem with the union here but after AMFA's performance at NWA AMFA is a hard sell. Most members here a scared to death of a union that will lead them off a cliff. The majority of the people here reject the current union and AMFA. Burchette admits he cannot go out on the floor without getting his butt chewed everytime he steps out on the floor. AMFA, TWU, who cares what the label is there is a leadership vacuum in Tulsa and until a real union man is willing to step up and demonstrate what real unionism is we will have to put up with this kind of sell out bs in which the union represents the company more than its membership. The next union elections will tell me whether or not I will be leaving the field.

Tulsa TWU members never forget which flag flys subservently underneath the AA flag at the main gate.
Are you really happy with this arrangement?