Should American Eagle EMB-175s to go Piedmont

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
American Eagle is now likely to be "Comair'ed". Should Doug Parker now consider placing those 60+ EMB-175s at Piedmont. A decision needs to be made about Piedmont's aging fleet of dash-8. How quickly can a turboprop transition to a EMB-175 type rating or does it really matter? The new Piedmont could hire already type rated EMB-175 pilots.

Reactions: 1 person
I say just add the 175s to the mainline fleet, after all we did have aircraft of similar size in past..ie F28s and BAe 146s . 
Piedmont does need new aircraft some new ATRs would be great but is there really need for props, the only city that US/AA flies to that requires Piedmont's Dash-8s is HHH, so park  the Dash-8s and have Piedmont take over the American Eagle CRJ700s and as for HHH they can join the list of many other disc service cities in the system...

Reactions: 2 people
More than likely a deal will be made with Republic or Mesa to operate them.
They already operate the aircraft, so training programs, manuals, etc. are already in place.
BTW, where do you hire already type-rated emb pilots from?

I'm probably the only one to think this, but I see Piedmont and PSA being merged into one regional AA owned carrier.  Because of that I doubt this would happen.

I also doubt that a -175 will go mainline; it's below the scope requirement for the pilots, so why would the company give that up?

PullUp said:
More than likely a deal will be made with Republic or Mesa to operate them.
They already operate the aircraft, so training programs, manuals, etc. are already in place.
BTW, where do you hire already type-rated emb pilots from?
Not sure MESA flies EMB's, thought they parked the 145's a while ago.  Obviously RJET has 175's 

Maybe this is where another position for the A319 would fit nicely. PAX hate flying on friggin RJ's so now AA can slip in some 319's.

Sure Piedmont can have them, if they agree to the same POS contract Eagle told Doug to put where the sun doesn't shine,twice. Although PSA stood right up with a smile and shanked Eagle for some nebulous flow through promises and the promise of maybe some new jets.

The company can threaten to "Comair" Eagle, but the fact is it took two years to wind Comair down.Can any of the current WO or contract lift providers step in and cover all of the flying currently done by Eagle in a short time frame? No, of course not.

Maybe PSA will agree to cap F/O pay at two years when Doug comes a calling offering even shinier jets...

1AA said:
Maybe this is where another position for the A319 would fit nicely. PAX hate flying on friggin RJ's so now AA can slip in some 319's.
Not gonna happen, an A319 is too big of an airplane to replace the 175 on routes and it costs more to use a A319 than an E175.