Should Union Boss 'solely'make A Decision For All?

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
"The decision to negotiate or not with a particular company should never be up to the Representative, but rather the decision should always lay with the democratic and collective voice of those who are represented."

I believe in democracy. But having a union boss call the shots for you without letting you have a voice to direct the union is not only undemocratic but unthinkable in this situation. Especially if you are an IAM member, Canale is the Boss. It appears that he is taking sole authority. Did you know that he isn't even a US AIRWAYS employee, and the last I checked I believe I saw his name on the United Airline board of directors? Does this mean anything to you? I definately wouldn't want some United Airline person making a decision for me and my family. It is unacceptable.

Hey, don't get me wrong, IMO, further negotiations for fleet service will not be useful because of 3 things. But ALL fleet service should have a collective vote in deteriming if your union should enter negotiations. It shouldn't be up to 1 or a couple of 'good ole boys' who won't lose their salaries. Something this crucial should at minimum contain a collective vote of confidence by the membership.
In short, the membership should be able to tell the union Boss what to do, not the union Boss telling you what he 'is' going to do.

Also, just because the Union Bosses may say they don't want to negotiate doesn't mean the company won't have a chance to present you a contract proposal. Haven't we seen this before? I believe it would be profane and unaccountable if a Union Boss steps aside and allows your company to present a
contract proposal , signed only by the company, directly to you for a vote without first recognizing your representative choice.

And I would be careful not to let these Union Bosses make unclear claims just to stir up emotions and hard feelings. Claims of major disputes so far have been unfounded and only juvenile in nature.

At any rate, as for your company, I'm not sure they made a convincing case that they are capable or serious of running this airline. Mine would be a vote to keep the concession stand closed!

Regards,

Tim Nelson
[email protected]

well there are other ways they have determined how to save the airline dough:

1: turned a few cities into the mainline express circus
2: cut those affected employees down to 13.01 an hr
3: those affected didnt even vote because it most likely went to protect the ones in the big hub cities and themselves
4: cut out a few thousand employees
5: lose quite a bit of the pension and retirement plan

as far as i'm concerned i aint voting for this round of concession when mgmt just got a 4% pay raise! probably to keep themselves from jumping ship

Tim Nelson said:
"The decision to negotiate or not with a particular company should never be up to the Representative, but rather the decision should always lay with the democratic and collective voice of those who are represented."
i believe if the membership wants to open the contract they'd be obligated to have some type of vote.

When in bankrupcy, The IAM, which publicly stated that they did not recommend either a YES or NO vote at Usairways, made it abudantly clear that they wanted a YES vote due to the fact that they held ANOTHER vote after the first one came back NO.....This is the same union that recommended a YES vote at United that included farming out 100% of their Heavy Maintence. { Right before they were voted out }

insp89 said:
When in bankrupcy, The IAM, which publicly stated that they did not recommend either a YES or NO vote at Usairways, made it abudantly clear that they wanted a YES vote due to the fact that they held ANOTHER vote after the first one came back NO.....This is the same union that recommended a YES vote at United that included farming out 100% of their Heavy Maintence. { Right before they were voted out }
SO BECOME AN AGENCY FEE PAYOR IF YOU DISAGREE.

robbedagain said:
well there are other ways they have determined how to save the airline dough:

1: turned a few cities into the mainline express circus
2: cut those affected employees down to 13.01 an hr
3: those affected didnt even vote because it most likely went to protect the ones in the big hub cities and themselves
4: cut out a few thousand employees
5: lose quite a bit of the pension and retirement plan

as far as i'm concerned i aint voting for this round of concession when mgmt just got a 4% pay raise! probably to keep themselves from jumping ship
Im a supervisor for Piedmont and I didnt see that raise!