Should us airways attempt another hostile acquisition of Delta ?

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
Delta airlines , ripe for the plucking ?

Incompetent management , bad business fundamentals, no unions ? Sounds like delta to me , and I’m betting right now that the investors over at delta are wishing they had accepted the offer made by us airways way back when .

Now the times have changed , oils higher and the united states economy is falling , yet delta still can’t compete in the airline industry , why ? Inept management that has no future vision and responds to current events too slowly or is still using 1970 play books . Fuel prices going too high ? Park planes and offer buyouts !

When delta exited bankruptcy on April 30 , 2007 their stock was valued at 20.00 dollars a share , now just look at them , a 50% percent fall in share price in not even a year’s time ! Even after delta’s management finally realized that airline consolidation wasn’t just their answer it was going to be their only salvation , they can’t make it work with northwest because their too timid and unimaginative ,Not to mention that the two airlines route structure was going to be a poor match to begin with .

Us airways should now consider another hostile takeover of delta , and this time we will secure them for pennies on the dollar compared to what we offered before .The stock holders of the new company having been assured by Gerald Grinstein that the future would be bright are now left holding half of what they had previously invested , and where is MR Grinstein ? Nowhere to be found .

With deltas non unionized work force , serious cost savings can be made in any future merger as far as consolidation goes . Two work forces at one airport when only one is needed ? bye bye see ya ! Painless and cost effective , too many flight attendants in a world of shrinking routes ? Not anymore , enjoy your new non airline career ! Ruthless , maybe , but will such actions ensure the survival AND success of the new airlines ? Absolutely !

Got bored and decided to write this

No they should go after Northwest strike another deal with Airbus to upgrade their fleet which will bring commonality

While their might be more fleet commonality , I think our combined route structure would out way that benefit , also if you consider that with increasing fuel prices it might be more effective to utilize different types of aircraft in those markets where their strengths might more come into play . Not to mention deltas international routes could be of value to us .

Delta had US Airways handed to them on a silver platter and they were to stupid to see it. They should have jumped all over Parker's deal ..... But they had their noises to high in the air to see the cracked earth beneath their feet.

For 15 years they have been trying to get rid of US Air, Parker's deal would have done just that.

I don't know . . . . I think that Aeroflot would make a more appropriate partner for US. It's a drinking man's airline & Mr. P would fit right in.

I can't envision US as a partner for anyone at the moment. I do however suspect that Parker et. al. would not be adverse to being acquired so that they could exercise their parachute clauses and get out of Dodge. This fuel crunch is not going away any time soon and I'm not so sure that US has the cash ( or especially ) the brains to ride bad times out if they get as bad as it possibly looks at the moment.

Today's WSJ has this article about just how bad things are looking in aviation with high fuel costs and (potentially ) fleeing pax if the economy continues to tank. The article suggests that the domestic side will suffer greatly. Sounds as if those carriers with more emphasis upon international flights might fare better. Guess which major airline has one of the lowest percentage of flights dedicated to international markets?

Barry

While the fact that the work force is mostly non-unioned, I belive that DL employee's would quickly join or start one and it would out number usair. By the way, shouldn't the current attempt at a merger be completed before attempting another one?

When you say international, are you including Mexico, Canada, and Hawaii? :blink:

Well yeah :huh: . . . I mean destinations that aren't in the United States that the competition is targetting because that's where potential higher revenues are. At least that's the business plan the competition has followed as they focus their growth/expansion. They're also the airlines whose ops put enough functional livery on the routes to be able to fly them through the high season to generate those revenue flows without too many pax disruptions save the usual weather/ATC issues . . . you know . . . the guys who know how run an airline & keep pax happy & employees assuaged if not content . . . oh wait . . . that's not US, is it? :unsure:

Barry

It's hard to agree with anyone saying that the airline industry is in trouble. I tried nonrevving out of ICT this past weekend, bumped for two days. The agents at some airlines said people were walking up to the counter and buying tickets. No seats until MON.
I finally got out on MON and flew into ATL. The place was packed.
Yeah, fuel is expensive but people will continue to fly, pay whatever surcharge you hit them with, sit down and have a half a can of soda and damn well like it. The media makes everything worse than it actually is.
I think Delta is ripe for the taking and we should go get them. I'm tired of bad publicity.