Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This press release came out late Thursday

=====
Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Announces New Executive Responsibilities
Thursday May 13, 5:59 pm ET

CHICAGO, May 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) today announced a realignment of responsibilities among its senior management team. Peter D. McDonald is being named executive vice president and chief operating officer, having previously served as executive vice president - Operations. John Tague is being named executive vice president - Marketing, Sales and Revenue, having previously been executive vice president-Customer.
Douglas Hacker, executive vice president-Strategy, will focus exclusively on corporate strategy development and competitive positioning. Jake Brace, executive vice president and chief financial officer, will continue to serve in that role and as chief restructuring officer, leading the company's efforts to emerge from bankruptcy. The new roles are effective immediately.

"With the momentum we've built over the past 12 months, now is the right time to ensure that our leadership team and responsibilities are aligned most effectively to take us forward and compete successfully in an increasingly competitive marketplace," said Glenn F. Tilton, United chairman, president and chief executive officer. "We have made tremendous progress in reducing our costs, and more recently in revenue improvement. We know there is more opportunity and work to do."

As chief operating officer, McDonald has responsibility for all airport, maintenance, onboard, flight and system operations, as well as cargo, Ted, strategic sourcing, cost-savings initiatives and safety and security.

"Pete is leading an operational team that has delivered extraordinary performance during the most challenging of circumstances, including record on- time performance and customer service metrics," Tilton said. "The continuous delivery of operational excellence and the added focus on achieving best-in- class costs will enable United to be in the strongest competitive position going forward."

Tague's expanded role gives him responsibility for all revenue-generating activities, adding planning, scheduling and revenue management to sales and marketing activities.

"John's work in re-engaging our customers and reinvigorating our brand has been critical in driving revenues and keeping our performance on plan," Tilton said. "Now all revenue-generating activities will be aligned under his leadership, enabling us to more effectively meet customer needs and drive revenue performance."

Brace continues to oversee all the company's financial and restructuring efforts and its work in the Chapter 11 process.

"Jake is doing a tremendous job leading our restructuring effort, systematically working through the remaining issues we face, and establishing the platform we will need as we move beyond Chapter 11 to compete for the long-term," said Tilton.

As executive vice president-Strategy, Hacker will focus on forward-looking strategy and opportunities for United as the company prepares to exit bankruptcy, including transforming capabilities that touch all aspects of the business such as the company's information technology systems.

"We are at a point in our progress where we need Doug to apply his exceptional analytical skills and intellectual rigor to key company initiatives -- to our future," Tilton said.

United, United Express and Ted operate more than 3,500 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United may be found at the company's Web site at www.united.com .

Worldwide Communications:
Media Relations Office: 847.700.5538
Evenings/Weekends: 847.700.4088

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: United Airlines

================

On first read I though "so what." On a second read, reading between the lines, etc. I think this is quite significant. This looks like a signal that Hacker and Brace are beginning the ease out (their scope of work was focused) while McDonald and Tague get promoted. I'll be interested in the view within UA on this but my sense is that McDonald has done a good job getting better operational performance out of the system -- no mean feat, and driving improvement in customer service etc. Also, despite what you may think about the ad campaign, new livery etc, Tague has definitely shaken up marketing (especially the promotions like Fly 3 Fly Free) and has made UA a leader rather than a follower. They key thing about his move is that it appears that effectively Greg Taylor, SVP planning, is demoted -- now reporting through Tague rather than direct to Tilton. I may be hoping for too much, but I think this could see more new ideas and new thinking go into the planning, revenue management/pricing, scheduling side of things than has been seen so far.

Anyone else care to peruse the tea leaves?

As reported in the Wall Street Journal, United Airlines' unsecured creditors committee is seeking court permission to hire an outside consulting firm to evaluate the company's board of directors. The review is necessary given the increasing competitive and economic pressures UAL will face once it emerges from bankruptcy. The creditor's committee has asked Judge Eugene Wedoff for permission to hire Heidrick & Struggles International, Inc. to aid in the review. The firm will research whether UAL Board of Directors "possesses the characteristics necessary for governing a publicly owned airline." The matter has been slated for the airline's May 21 court hearing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they sh!$$ing me?!? They pay those ridiculous salaries and now I find out they aren't even sure if they know how to run a public company? Yipes! If this "research" was available, wouldn't it make sense to administer the test BEFORE they hire them? But, hey, I'm only a flight attendant, what do I know? :( Here's my suggestion....hire me to run the company. :up: Give me a year or so, then administer the review. If I'm no good, I'll leave (with my golden parachute) and you can look for my replacement. (don't forget, hire him first, with a great salary and parachute, and administer the review later.

Reminds me of a couple of Dilbert cartoons a few years back where Dogbert makes the claim that executives responsible for the biggest screw-ups are promoted because they "have experience."

I'm not passing judgement on UA's management or directors with this statement. However, I suspect this is similar to the yearly review any management employee receives, just a little more "intense" due to these people's positions.