Shuttle Crew Pairing Changes

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to talk with the person in charge of improving flight crew trip pairings by optimizing productivity to reduce unit costs. The current project is the Shuttle where ALPA and the Company are trying to reduce sit around time, lower unit expense, and improve performance.

In the past the Trump Shuttle used to keep the same aircraft and crew matched throughout the day, each crew would fly four flights per day, and there were no RON’s. This system provided great operational performance and eliminated hotel/per diem expense, but had unproductive claim time for flight crew pay.

The paring construction team is close to completing a scheduling plan that will not only provide improved operational performance, match crews and airplanes together more than today, but it will eliminate RON’s without crews obtaining claim time by only flying four flights per day.

Apparently the trip sheet will have some pairings with 6 legs and 7 hours of block time and some pairings with four flights that could include 2 BOS-DCA or DCA-BOS legs to increase block time over 5 hours per day. To accomplish this there must be one segment flown by a mainline pairing.

They believe this change will reduce the company’s Shuttle expense by over $2 million per year with no hotel per diem expense and eliminate unproductive claim time with virtually all trips paid "hard time". He is in the final stages of the project and he hopes to have this change in place for the November schedule, but it may not occur until December.

In my opinion, LGA flight crews will see many of their multiple day trips become 1-day trips because of their bi-directional Shuttle O&D flights and the ability to easily fly the BOS-DCA market. This will cause the base to become more junior with less mainline flying, which will be less desirable to commuters because these pilots and flight attendants will have less per diem and hotel's provided by the company for over nights. Thus, the pilot and flight attendant seniority will become even more junior, similar in scope to last year, when most of the flying was 1-day trips.

The least expensive LGA hotel is the Ramada Airport at $139 per night (unless an on-line service like Priceline.com can be used to obtain a lower rate) and “crashpadâ€￾ availability is poor. Moreover, many crashpads are intolerable because of 10 to 20 occupants, hot beds, and high rent for what many consider a suitable apartment.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

are they still flying the A-319s or the A-320s on the shuttle? also, USA320: what is your take on this new change with the shuttle? will it help to improve the company's overall financial ability?

If I read this correctly, this will increase the practice of keeping the same crews with the same aircraft--am I right?

American had made some moves in this direction on main line a while ago. In addition, they had dedicated a subfleet of MD-80's I think to operate only in and out of ORD. That way, if ORD went down, other hubs and cities would not be affected.

It seems to me that keeping the same crew on the same a/c for a day or more and having a subfleet dedicated to one airport hub would improve productivity and reduce expenses by reducing the side effects of delays in one place or another.

I am no expert, but it just seems to make sense.

My best to you all....

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, LGA flight crews will see many of their multiple day trips become 1-day trips because of their bi-directional Shuttle O&D flights and the ability to easily fly the BOS-DCA market. This will cause the base to become more junior with less mainline flying, which will be less desirable to commuters because these pilots and flight attendants will have less per diem and hotel's provided by the company for over nights. Thus, the pilot and flight attendant seniority will become even more junior, similar in scope to last year, when most of the flying was 1-day trips.

The least expensive LGA hotel is the Ramada Airport at $139 per night (unless an on-line service like Priceline.com can be used to obtain a lower rate) and “crashpadâ€￾ availability is poor. Moreover, many crashpads are intolerable because of 10 to 20 occupants, hot beds, and high rent for what many consider a suitable apartment.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="282246"][/post]​

Let me see...you are in danger of losing your block, the Pittsburgh crew base is being downsized and a new bid is around the bend. Any chance the reason for posting the above is to keep your block?

With the changes going on - downsizing PIT and reducing airplanes - it appears that just the opposite will happen in the next bid. LGA (and probably every base) will become more senior in the left seat. What's happened so far this year?

Feb 05 bid:
Junior LGA captain blockholder - 1723
Junior LGA captain - 2155

Sep 05 bid:
Junior LGA captain blockholder - 1592
Junior LGA captain - 2069

LGA is already the junior base for pilots, so anyone trying to hold onto either a captain position or a captain blockholder position will gravitate there as their other choices become unavailable due to their seniority.

The prognosis for LGA? While it will remain the junior base for the reasons USA320Pilot gave, the seniority needed to hold a captain bid or captain blockholder slot there will increase.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
The prognosis for LGA? While it will remain the junior base for the reasons USA320Pilot gave, the seniority needed to hold a captain bid or captain blockholder slot there will increase.

Jim
[post="282294"][/post]​

Exactly what I thought. My guess is that the good captain is trying to discourage anyone senior to him bidding into the base.

BoeingBoy said:
With the changes going on - downsizing PIT and reducing airplanes - it appears that just the opposite will happen in the next bid. LGA (and probably every base) will become more senior in the left seat. What's happened so far this year?

Feb 05 bid:
Junior LGA captain blockholder - 1723
Junior LGA captain - 2155

Sep 05 bid:
Junior LGA captain blockholder - 1592
Junior LGA captain - 2069

LGA is already the junior base for pilots, so anyone trying to hold onto either a captain position or a captain blockholder position will gravitate there as their other choices become unavailable due to their seniority.

Jim
[post="282294"][/post]​

Getting very close to Captain 1536 then, aren't they?

The company should be ashamed of the pairings/blocks for September. On all fleet types in all bases. The B757/B767 Domestic trips are particularly egregious.

BB, do you think the PIT crew base will be closed by year's end, or will it struggle along until the merger "synergies" transpire?

N924PS said:
BB, do you think the PIT crew base will be closed by year's end, or will it struggle along until the merger "synergies" transpire?
[post="282298"][/post]​

Purely a guess, but no - although as Parker & crew have more & more influence anything could happen.

Based strictly on US history, the tendency is to let the bases fade away over time and not displace large numbers of people at once - or even over a few months. Given that, there's too many pilots still based in PIT (on the Sep bid) for it to close by year end.

Jim

The point of this post was to provide non-public information about Shuttle changes that will boost productivity and lower unit costs.

If history repeats itself, LGA will get more junior for piltos and F/A's when openings occur in other bases because most people do not want to fly Shuttle one-day trips, which I enjoy. History will eventually repeat itself.

My personal options are to hold out for a B757 Captain bid probably next year, since I am about 165 numbers away from the position. This would boost my hourly pay and cut the days I work by about 50%. Another great option is to bid the A330. This would permit me to have a great schedule, no commuting expenses, long European layovers, and with the international pay, I would not see much of a a net pay loss when you subtact commuting expenses.

In fact, I'm considering bidding the A330 regardless of what happens in LGA. Nonetheless, I appreciate all of the personal interest...

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
My personal options are to .....
[post="282360"][/post]​

Glad to hear someone is still doing well.
I'm still waiting for all that magical overtime to appear that someone seemed to think was flowing freely last year. :down:

Back to the topic at hand. Do we really need a crew base in LGA? Couldnt DC or PHL or BOS handle the LGA trips? Seems like another waste of money and resources to have a base where you keep bumping the junior people all the time. Also, with a base in LGA, how many of the flights have crews not based there that overnight there anyway?

tadjr said:
Back to the topic at hand. Do we really need a crew base in LGA? Couldnt DC or PHL or BOS handle the LGA trips? Seems like another waste of money and resources to have a base where you keep bumping the junior people all the time. Also, with a base in LGA, how many of the flights have crews not based there that overnight there anyway?
[post="282369"][/post]​

With even the cheapest, sleazebag hotel rooms in NYC going for well north of $100/night, it probably is cost effective to base crews in LGA. True, there are lots of crews laying over in NYC anyway, but there are lots of crews laying over in PHL, BOS, DCA, CLT, and PIT. We can't close down ALL of the crew bases to save money.

nycbusdriver said:
With even the cheapest, sleazebag hotel rooms in NYC going for well north of $100/night, it probably is cost effective to base crews in LGA.
[post="282392"][/post]​

If thats the case then do as Air Midwest did. You are based everywhere. Everyone who lives in MIA would pick up a MIA trip. Everyone in Houston would pick up a Houston trip. You start in your base and end in your base (with a very few exceptions mainly on the weekend schedules.) I know everyone would love that one! Just think of scheduling that though! :shock:

tadjr said:
If thats the case then do as Air Midwest did. You are based everywhere. Everyone who lives in MIA would pick up a MIA trip. Everyone in Houston would pick up a Houston trip. You start in your base and end in your base (with a very few exceptions mainly on the weekend schedules.) I know everyone would love that one! Just think of scheduling that though! :shock:
[post="282427"][/post]​

Colgan does that now. They've got about two dozen bases for their ~200 flight operation.

http://www.colganair.com/bases.htm

Latest posts