shuttle?

legacy-to-LCC

Veteran
Feb 20, 2004
just trying to get a creative sense of what the bos-lga-dca shuttle would look like with a carrier that cared about the material product offered. perhaps, if continental owned the shuttle, what would the material product look like? perhaps, american? perhaps, united?
as a point of comparison: usair offers a bag of granola and fruit on the am flights, and, free beer and wine (like their club). also, the whole can of soda.

just trying to get a creative sense of what the bos-lga-dca shuttle would look like with a carrier that cared about the material product offered. perhaps, if continental owned the shuttle, what would the material product look like? perhaps, american? perhaps, united?
as a point of comparison: usair offers a bag of granola and fruit on the am flights, and, free beer and wine (like their club). also, the whole can of soda.

Geez, have you ever worked the dca-lga shuttle, or bos-lga? I suppose if you did, you would realize that in a 20 minute service window, we can't provide a hot meal!!!! But I'd love to see what the other carriers would do in the same time frame.

Geez, have you ever worked the dca-lga shuttle, or bos-lga? I suppose if you did, you would realize that in a 20 minute service window, we can't provide a hot meal!!!! But I'd love to see what the other carriers would do in the same time frame.
well, golly geez, i have! :blink: there was a time when the airline recognized that, and allowd customers to pick up a bagel (with various condiments) as they were boarding. so, allow me to revise the question assuming there is some level of customore service
innovation.

just trying to get a creative sense of what the bos-lga-dca shuttle would look like with a carrier that cared about the material product offered.

This is what DL advertises:

On the ground:
* Complimentary newspapers and magazines
* Complimentary morning coffee and juices
* PowerStop at La Guardia's Marine Air Terminal. Powerstop is brought to you by American Express® and Delta Shuttle and features:
* Wireless connectivity from anywhere in the gate area at the Marine Air Terminal at New York's La Guardia Airport and in Terminal A at Boston's Logan Airport
* Fresh bagels with jam and cream cheese available for pickup at the jetway

In-flight:
* Complimentary cocktails for our First Class fliers
* Broadband and WiFi access available on-board in spring, 2009
* Fresh snacks on all weekday flights
* Complimentary wine and beer, including Samuel Adams and Amstel Light
* Complimentary coffee—Fresh Brew's hand-roasted Delta Shuttle Blend
* Complimentary soft drinks, teas, and juices

Jim

10 years ago the US shuttle was great! Better than the DL Product.

Since class of service. A snack box, and free Beer & Wine. Including Sam Adams.

Well today ......

I am lucky, when I do fly the shuttle I am up-graded, so you know the service.

All I need to say 'bring back the good ole days!"

Pay less, get less. Everyone wants lower fares, but expects the perks to continue all the same.
What are the fares on the Shuttle today compared to what they were 10 years ago? What are they offering on the rail service?

What are they offering on the rail service?

Here's the Acela which is the rail equivalent of US Airways Shuttle and Delta Shuttle.

Acela

Real glass served by someone wearing a tie! :shock: Obviously an airplane is not going to have a Cafe Car, but small snacks retrieved on the jetway are appreciated by business travelers who may not have had a chance to grab something.

The real competitive advantage to the air shuttles over rail is time. Security throws a wrench in that, so separate security entrances and boarding lounges are a really important part of it.

Generally the crews that work the Shuttle seem to do a very good job, hopefully the transfer of a lot of that flying to PHL crews won't change that. The single class Shuttle subfleet was a much better product and much more consistent.

I don't think there would still be a Shuttle if it didn't still command a higher premium. US should at least keep up with Delta, but that is difficult to do since it shares the mainline fleet and it's bare bones cabins. Delta also now uses mainline aircraft but obviously Delta's mainline amenities are far above US. Tempe seems to despise having to have premium products, but hopefully someone out there realizes that this operation is really an airline within itself with an entirely different clientele, pace and service expectation. It would be interesting indeed to see what it would look like if it were operated by one of the other majors.

well, golly geez, i have! :blink: there was a time when the airline recognized that, and allowd customers to pick up a bagel (with various condiments) as they were boarding. so, allow me to revise the question assuming there is some level of customore service
innovation.
Ok... yes it was nice when we offered it at the door upon boarding, but how many actually accepted the bagel???? LOL not many...
just like the ones who dont take the granola... remember the apple???? the Pax would hand it to you teeth marks and all...
how much can you do in thirty minutes??? We are still the better shuttle... why is DAL failing at it???

We are still the better shuttle... why is DAL failing at it???

Or more appropriately, DL has the proper plane (E75s) that matches capacity to demand and is still competitive with US thanks to a F cabin. According to recent articles, both Shuttle operations see average LDFs in the low to mid 50s.

Note: I realize that DL still primarily uses M80s on the BOS-LGA sector, but they now operate E75s for all their DCA-LGA flights. If US hadn't sold 10 of the E90s, it would've made sense (from a capacity perspective) to put them on the DCA-LGA and DCA-BOS sectors as well.

I would tend to agree with you but on a 38 minute flight from FRA to MUC in November we had a light meal and two passes at full beverage service on Lufthansa in C class--12 passengers up front.....just saying...it IS possible.