Sick call Discipline

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
US Airways Inflight Services Supervisors are issuing discipline to flight attendants who utilize sick leave and call in sick within 4 days prior, the day of, and 4 days following a company recognized holiday including Martin Luther King Day, July 4, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Alleging a demonstrated pattern of calling in sick during a holiday period, Inflight Supervisors have reached back more than the customary and standard twelve month window to capture more than 2 instances of a sick call during these 9 day stretches and have included these holiday sick calls on discipline documentation.

AFA-CWA has filed a MEC Grievance over this matter, and will pursue this issue vigorously. Flight Attendant's should submit information to AFA via email at [email protected] if involved in any discipline meetings with the company involving this issue.

only stating opinions

Wait, the company recognizes those holidays? I dont believe we get any sort of holiday pay for alot of them so they are just another day then.

And do they really think anyone cares anymore? Call in sick, enjoy a holiday here and there like a normal person. Your family is what is most important, you are not important to US Airways.

call in sick, I wouldn't hear of it.......I have Missionary work to do! Not to mention I heard nectarines were on "special" at Trader Joe's. :p

I believe that this is a "West" practice and is in THEIR contract NOT in our contract on the "East".

However, if a supervisor feels their is misuse of sick time they can require a dr. note.

H.2. Nothwithstanding the above, the Company may require a physician's written confirmation of illness or injury or make personal inquiries of the type or nature of such illness or injury when a supervisor can demonstrate he/she has reasonable cause to believe that an individual flight attendant's use of sick leave may have been for other than legitimate reasons.........

i.e. Holiday sick call abuse would contstitute reasonable cause as it can be proven.

i personally think sick FA's should work. that way they can get the passenger sick, who will in turn sue USAirways.

Then comes the trial.

Lawyer puts FA that was sick up on the stand

"why did you not call in sick, Ms. Flight Attendant?"

'cause i would have faced disciplinary actions'

I only hope this happens in front of a trial by jury!

Wait, the company recognizes those holidays? I dont believe we get any sort of holiday pay for alot of them so they are just another day then.

And do they really think anyone cares anymore? Call in sick, enjoy a holiday here and there like a normal person. Your family is what is most important, you are not important to US Airways.

Actually, I believe they had this problem at AA as well, they dont get holiday pay so people will pick up trips off the trade board for 100 bucks or so and then call in sick... Apparently AA had a fit but, the union stepped in... Quite frankly the company cant do sh@t about it.. What if you dont believe in christmas??? Then that is discrimination against you.. I would love to see the company write me up for being sick... I would claim discrimination and harrassement so fast it would make their head spin, and if i dont get extra pay for holidays then i do not work.. I have gave enough to the airlines not to spend time with my family on holidays, I would feel foolish if my family werent here next year and i gave up spending thanksgiving with them b/c of a damn airline..

If all the airlines would offer time and a half for the entire trip..no extra pay for sick call...I would bet my life there would NEVER be a shortage of stews. The airlines are cheap and greedy. They get what they pay for. I have no pitty for them.

If the airline paid time-and-a-half for holidays, even the PHL-PBI turns would get flown by 40 year F/As.

That is not an excuse! You are required to work a holiday....you work a holiday...PERIOD

Why do we all have this sense of entitlement?????

I don't want to work holidays either, but........

That is not an excuse! You are required to work a holiday....you work a holiday...PERIOD

Why do we all have this sense of entitlement?????

I don't want to work holidays either, but........

Its not what you know its what you can prove...funny wabbit... :up:

Ask yourself THIS question. You have a loved one or a really dear friend who you know is not going to be here next year. Do you call off to spend time with them one last time over that holiday or get abused like any other day on that UNPAID holiday? We get beaten down enough that as a reserve you have to DO IT ALL on a holiday so others can have off? Huhhh uhh not gonna happen. Sure you agreed to work holidays, relocate and whatever but not for your whole damn career. Nobody gives a $h!t.

Everyone needs to be very careful about their attitude and actions in this area. I don't think the company is talking about flight attendants calling in sick one time for a holiday. I bet they are talking about those f/as who are not senior enough to hold off on the "important" holidays; so, they just call in sick.

There is an established legal precedent in labor law which refers to "patterns of behavior." You are never going to convince any court in the land that you just "happened" to be sick every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's for the last 5 years. And, it doesn't even have to be every holiday--just frequently enough that the Laws of Probability suggest that you are abusing your sick leave. Particularly, if you have not spent the money to see a physician any of those times. Always remember, that sick leave is not earned, it is granted. A lot of companies in this day and age don't even have paid sick leave. It is also established in labor law that sick leave is not "yours" to take whenever you want for whatever reason you want--it is not supplemental vacation time.

Same thing when "office workers" frequently call in sick on Mondays and Fridays. Trust me, if the company decides to spend the money to fight the issue, and you have been calling in sick every holiday, you will lose.

Besides, if you are a flight attendant, you are showing total selfishness and disregard for your fellow f/as. Because you decide that you deserve the holiday off, one of your co-workers who was scheduled to be off gets reassigned at the end of their trip to fly your trip.