Siegel: Pittsburgh hub ''marginal''

Non-stops, while nice, are a non-starter.

Cities and business all over the country survive without them every day. In many cases, the fare differential for not being at the receiving end of the fortress-hub-airfare BOHICA is more than worth the tradeoff.

The papers always seem to drag up the guy who sells insurance to rock stars and lives in PIT and claims he''d move without all the nonstops. He is the exception.

Besides, the nonstops out of PIT have already dwindled. Try to get to the west coast anytime in the afternoon PST/PDT. You can''t (on a lot of days) ex-PIT, without a connection on OA, anyway.

You ask any big business what drives them to move their HDQ to a specific city and having a hub is a big factor. CLT has landed numerous companies because of the hub, CLT is now the second largest banking center in the world, Goodrich Aerospace moved here and numerous other companies, Johnson and Wales Culinary College is building here now. There was as study done recently and having an hub in the city is in the top five factors in relocating.

----------------
On 5/1/2003 5:08:24 PM LavMan wrote:

You ask any big business what drives them to move their HDQ to a specific city and having a hub is a big factor.  CLT has landed numerous companies because of the hub, CLT is now the second largest banking center in the world, Goodrich Aerospace moved here and numerous other companies, Johnson and Wales Culinary College is building here now.  There was as study done recently and having an hub in the city is in the top five factors in relocating.

----------------​
LavMan,
You are right on. A city with a major airline hub is a magnet for business. Pit would survive without U, but would be more likely to thrive if the airline keeps a hub here. The entire industry need to rationalize fares, and this may well happen in the near future, but without a doubt having U remain in Pit is a big bonus for the area.

Lavman,

I freely admit we don''t usually see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but you are right on the money with this. There are places that have hubs, and those that want them. If you look at any company that relocates to a major hub city, the hub is always listed as a primary reason. I have yet to hear of a company moving from somwhere like Charlotte to somewhere like Raleigh and saying they moved to get cheaper airfares.

That is because Major Corporations all have travel deals and dont pay full fare.

628AU are you in CLT now? Planner or MCU?

----------------
On 5/1/2003 5:02:26 PM ClueByFour wrote:

Besides, the nonstops out of PIT have already dwindled. Try to get to the west coast anytime in the afternoon PST/PDT. You can''t (on a lot of days) ex-PIT, without a connection on OA, anyway.

----------------​

This is a good move, IMHO. Having flights that arrive late afternoon/early evening out west means those planes sit there until the red eyes. Then, the planes that arrive later in the evening sit there until the following morning. So, unless US had ops among cities out west, those flights you speak of would be money losers due to aircraft utilization inefficiencies.

Just like PIT did not suffer when the Steel Mills closed down.

Can PIT Say this?

Workforce!
Charlotte offers a highly productive work force for companies concerned about the quality of their products or services. Studies show that North Carolina workers are more productive than their counterparts nationally. Studies of companies relocating rank the availability of a competent work force high in importance and Charlotte addresses this need.
The draw of this quality work force is evident in the number of firms locating to Charlotte in the last ten years. During this period, 8,395 firms have selected Charlotte-Mecklenburg for new or relocated operations, representing $5.5 billion in investments.
Training and Retraining Needs
Education in Charlotte is a top priority for business, the community, and educators themselves. In addition to job training at local community colleges, the Charlotte area's 23 colleges and universities offer degrees in 150 different subjects, with over 50 different graduate programs that include Ph.D degrees in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and mathematics.
For more information, visit www.charlottechamber.com

----------------
On 5/1/2003 5:57:27 PM N628AU wrote:

Lavman,

I freely admit we don''t usually see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but you are right on the money with this.  There are places that have hubs, and those that want them.  If you look at any company that relocates to a major hub city, the hub is always listed as a primary reason.  I have yet to hear of a company moving from somwhere like Charlotte to somewhere like Raleigh and saying they moved to get cheaper airfares.

----------------​

I think that if you asked the folks at Cisco, SAS, or any of those "nobodies" over in RDU, one of the answers they would have is "airfare."

If you don''t believe that, take a look at the amount of businesses springing up or moving operations to places in/around GSP/GSO/AVL/FAY. It due to the cost of operations, and airfare is indeed a large consideration.

Reliance on the hubs and "plentiful nonstops" has been decimated thanks to the videoconference and network based meetings.

And, as an aside, banks are also the last fools who pay full freight to sit FC. The operational spending habits of a bank are not reflective of even a fortune 500 corporation (non-banking) anymore.

PIT will not lose business opprotunities without the hub. US will lose pricing power without the hub. Then that "meager" o/d traffic will suddenly generate much lower yields. Gonna pick that up out of.......???? IND? (LUV is in there). STL??? (Same thing).

If I were the Mayor of PIT I would tell the ungrateful leaches to pay the $#%(* rent or get the &$#$*# out.

Then I would call Herb and offer him a blue light special on a beautiful facility.

If I lost my job as mayor... so what? I''ve been looking for an excuse to move to Florida.

Charlotte offers a highly productive work force for companies concerned about the quality of their products or services. Studies show that North Carolina workers are more productive than their counterparts nationally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh is where very hard working families lived and died in the mills and that work ethic was pasted along. Proof in point, PITTSBURGH HVY Maintenance always did and will continue to blow Charlotte Hvy Mtc out of the water. It’s FACT. Pittsburgh has some of the BEST colleges in the country, and is world renowned for it''s medical centers. One reason Charotte is growing is because companies know full well how a southern boy will work for nothing and hates unions. Yes, I think the southern boys are all mostly friendly and I actually enjoy the drawl, but they work just as slow as they talk.

PHX, call Herb all you want, Herb has not run WN in over year!

And at $8 a pax, you won''t see WN running to PIT.

COLLEEN C. BARRETT
President and Chief Operating Officer
Southwest Airlines Co.,
Dallas, Texas

JAMES F. PARKER
Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
of Southwest Airlines Co.,
Dallas, Texas

Cavalier you are high? CLT has been consistantly beating PIT in numbers in heavy, when they closed INT had 10 tracks in a 5 track hangar, what did you expect then?

You really need to learn your labor history!

Historical Event >> Trolley Strike August 25, 1919
Five men are killed and several more are wounded by police protecting Charlotte's streetcar barns against trolley workers who have walked off the job in a labor dispute, called a "strike." Two weeks earlier streetcar operators demanded higher wages and group representation by a union. When the Southern Public Utilities Company hired replacement workers, called "strikebreakers," violence began. The trolley strike is the worst violence in Charlotte's labor history.

ROANOKE RAPIDS, North Carolina (AP) -- A textile mill where labor organizers claimed the first major union victory in the South, an effort that inspired the 1979 movie "Norma Rae," is closing this summer.
WestPoint Stevens Inc. said Friday that to stay efficient in a global economy, it would have to close its towel-making complex in Roanoke Rapids and lay off 320 workers.
"If there was ever an icon of that industry, this was it," said Harris Raynor of the Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Technical Employees.
At least 150 such textile plants have closed in the Carolinas in the last five years, ending thousands of jobs.
In 1974, the Roanoke Rapids factory, which had 3,100 workers, became the site of the first big win for labor in the South after an 11-year organizing effort. The union and textiles giant J.P. Stevens & Co. Inc., WestPoint's predecessor, agreed on a contract six years later.
The union victory became the basis for the movie "Norma Rae," in which Sally Field portrays a minimum-wage textile worker-turned-union organizer.

History of the IAM
1888: 19 machinists meeting in locomotive pit at Atlanta, GA, vote to form a trade union. Machinists earn 20 to 25 cents an hour for 10-hour day.
1889: 34 locals represented at the first Machinists convention, held in Georgia State Senate Chamber, elect Tom Talbot as Grand Master Machinist. A monthly journal is started.
1890: First Canadian local chartered at Stratford, Ont. Union is named International Association of Machinists. Headquarters set up in Richmond, VA. Membership at 4,000.