Slooooooooow Taxi

oldiebutgoody

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 5:25:36 PM Hope777 wrote:

Chip or any other US pilot, what's with the slow taxi. Trying to make extra money?
----------------
[/blockquote]
Could it be because of wet or icy conditions?

We like to taxi slow because of the ice !!!!!

I wish I could write this one off, but I have often wondered the same. Heck, compared to Sothwest and Delta, US mainline flights feel like they have the parking brake on!

I wish I could say we had hazardous conditions but fact is, the ramp and taxiway were DRY and CLEAR. I asked the pilot on the flight and he laughed, and replied I might not get alot back but I'm going to get something. Also three flights took over 20 minutes of inbound taxi time and were cleared to cross the actice once they landed. They just Taxied slow and madetwo of the flights over 15minutes late which also effects our OT percentage with the DOT.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 5:30:05 PM oldiebutgoody wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/2/2003 5:25:36 PM Hope777 wrote:

Chip or any other US pilot, what's with the slow taxi. Trying to make extra money?
----------------
[/blockquote]
Could it be because of wet or icy conditions?
----------------
[/blockquote]
lets say icy conditions regarding pension fix

IAM destroys aircraft,AFA practices KAOS, ALPA does a slow taxi. Which is worst?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 12:24:41 PM retread wrote:

IAM destroys aircraft,AFA practices KAOS, ALPA does a slow taxi. Which is worst?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Your spelling of chaos!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 12:24:41 PM retread wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Having to read your post!

I noticed that last Wednesday - I was flying out of MCI on Southwest. We were on the inner taxiway and we passed a US jet on the outer taxiway like he was standing still...and we weren't taxiing all that fast. Conditions were dry, BTW.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 4:46:40 PM ONTHESTREET wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 2:31:43 PM KCFlyer wrote:

I noticed that last Wednesday - I was flying out of MCI on Southwest. We were on the inner taxiway and we passed a US jet on the outer taxiway like he was standing still...and we weren't taxiing all that fast. Conditions were dry, BTW.
----------------
[/blockquote]

About a year and a half ago I saw the opposite. We landed in BWI and taxied by a Southwest like he was standing still........only problem was he was standing still because he had overshot the turn of a taxiway due to his high speed taxi, and slid that puppy right in the ditch!!! When we came by they had the slides deployed and were trying to figure out how to get out of the ditch....and, I imagine, how to explain it to the FAA!!!!!

An airplane is not a car, It is not designed to go fast on the ground unless its in a straight line (runway). I have seen many many incidents and damage to aircraft caused by excessivly fast taxi speeds. Not to mention brake fade, and high brake temperatures. If you cook your brakes in the taxi out, they may not be there when you really need them. (ie. rejected takeoff)

Excessivly slow taxis are one thing, but in general Southwest is VERY well known for their cowboy attitude toward taxi speeds....and it has bitten them from time to time.
----------------
[/blockquote]

As I said - we were not taxiing all that fast. But the US plane was barely moving. As for "cowboy attitudes" on our return Friday evening, the conditions were 32 degrees and snowing. The aircraft was "planted" on the runway, the aircraft was almost completely stopped before turning off, and the taxi back to the gate was "cautious".

Well I'm not Chip but here's my opinion?

US flights leave the gate before getting the final aircraft/flight specific performance data. This required data is sent via ACARS to the aircraft as it taxi's to the runway. The problem is that sometimes the aircraft reaches the runway before getting the required data. In an effort to avoid aircraft getting BACKED UP at the runway ATC will ask the US crews if they have the "NUMBERS". If YES, then good. If NO, other aircraft are taxied around the US aircraft or the US aircraft are taxied out of the way.
The condition of the taxiways (dry, wet, ice or snow covered) does require speed adjustment. However, it only takes ONE nose wheel steering malfunction to teach a valuable lesson about taxi speed! Fortunately most of use have learned from others. I also respect my cabin crew. I have been on a flight or two as a pax that for what ever reason brakes were applied instantly and aggressively and a FA or two while conducting the Cabin Brief did an uncontrollable dance around the cabin! One aquired a nice shiner on the knee! Mach 2 taxi speed and turns on three wheels do not impress me. The extra minute for safety really does'nt add up to much considering the alternative.
We actually take many things into consideration and try to give the best service we can. Yeah, this job requires alot of button pushing but it still takes some thought and planning ahead.
I would guess that there are a few percent that are out to get something but again only a percent.
Work slow down? There are far more ways to accomplish that than TAXI SPEED.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 2:31:43 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

About a year and a half ago I saw the opposite. We landed in BWI and taxied by a Southwest like he was standing still........only problem was he was standing still because he had overshot the turn of a taxiway due to his high speed taxi, and slid that puppy right in the ditch!!! When we came by they had the slides deployed and were trying to figure out how to get out of the ditch....and, I imagine, how to explain it to the FAA!!!!!

An airplane is not a car, It is not designed to go fast on the ground unless its in a straight line (runway). I have seen many many incidents and damage to aircraft caused by excessivly fast taxi speeds. Not to mention brake fade, and high brake temperatures. If you cook your brakes in the taxi out, they may not be there when you really need them. (ie. rejected takeoff)

Excessivly slow taxis are one thing, but in general Southwest is VERY well known for their cowboy attitude toward taxi speeds....and it has bitten them from time to time.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/3/2003 4:37:38 PM Stick-n-Rudder wrote:

Well I'm not Chip but here's my opinion?

US flights leave the gate before getting the final aircraft/flight specific performance data. This required data is sent via ACARS to the aircraft as it taxi's to the runway. The problem is that sometimes the aircraft reaches the runway before getting the required data. In an effort to avoid aircraft getting BACKED UP at the runway ATC will ask the US crews if they have the "NUMBERS". If YES, then good. If NO, other aircraft are taxied around the US aircraft or the US aircraft are taxied out of the way.
The condition of the taxiways (dry, wet, ice or snow covered) does require speed adjustment. However, it only takes ONE nose wheel steering malfunction to teach a valuable lesson about taxi speed! Fortunately most of use have learned from others. I also respect my cabin crew. I have been on a flight or two as a pax that for what ever reason brakes were applied instantly and aggressively and a FA or two while conducting the Cabin Brief did an uncontrollable dance around the cabin! One aquired a nice shiner on the knee! Mach 2 taxi speed and turns on three wheels do not impress me. The extra minute for safety really does'nt add up to much considering the alternative.
We actually take many things into consideration and try to give the best service we can. Yeah, this job requires alot of button pushing but it still takes some thought and planning ahead.
I would guess that there are a few percent that are out to get something but again only a percent.
Work slow down? There are far more ways to accomplish that than TAXI SPEED.

----------------
[/blockquote]
dude all you hyperbolic boosheet cum up wun thingy...and thatfer sure ALPO generals order slow down...i think we gotta slow dow,,,,,,,wake up! s