Small dog diverts US Airways flight

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I am laughing... the crew couldn't get a little dog under control?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10340/1108725-147.stm

Small dog diverts big plane
Monday, December 06, 2010
By Torsten Ove, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
A USAirways flight from Newark to Phoenix was diverted to Pittsburgh this morning after a passenger's small dog got loose and bit a flight attendant and another passenger.

Flight 522 from Newark carrying 122 passengers landed at Pittsburgh International Airport, where medical personnel treated the two people who were bitten.

USAirways said the passenger with the dog was supposed to keep it in its cage under her seat, which is the airline's policy. But she took it out and the animal ran loose.

Although the dog is small and the injuries minor, the captain felt it was best to divert the plane.

USAirways was working this morning to find other flights for the passengers headed to Phoenix.

Torsten Ove: [email protected] or 412-263-1510.

First published on December 6, 2010 at 10:41 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10340/1108725-147.stm#ixzz17MAwioe9

Check out the NY POST headline...you have to love this!

dogs132721--480x180.jpg

Apparently it was a little rat dog (12-pound Manchester terrier named Mandy).

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/plane_lands_in_pittsburgh_after_2crSCHL94SOQ35WLBrt3BJ

Reactions: 1 person
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40532237/?gt1=43001

According to this article, the passenger sitting next to the dog owner tried to calm the dog, but it broke out of the carrier. If this is true, then the carrier could not have been properly secured. I have had to struggle to properly secure dog carriers, and I'm a very agile person. I can easily see how an 89-year-old might not realize that the carrier was not secure.

What many people do not realize is that you should never reach your hands into a cage or carrier of any sort to pet or otherwise reach out to an animal.

Of course, we all know that we cannot believe most of what is reported in the news, so who knows what really happened.

According to this article, the passenger sitting next to the dog owner tried to calm the dog, but it broke out of the carrier. If this is true, then the carrier could not have been properly secured. I have had to struggle to properly secure dog carriers, and I'm a very agile person. I can easily see how an 89-year-old might not realize that the carrier was not secure.

What many people do not realize is that you should never reach your hands into a cage or carrier of any sort to pet or otherwise reach out to an animal.

Of course, we all know that we cannot believe most of what is reported in the news, so who knows what really happened.

I would not be at all surprised if she took it (the carrier) out after take-off and put it on her lap, or the center seat (if it was available). We see it every day and we tell them every day "you need to keep the animal in its container". But they think they're so slick and sneaky and wait till we walk away.

It's so funny when an animal bites someone. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, it's hilarious. What's even more laughable is the wussy crew couldn't get a 12-pound dog under control and had to divert the plane. IT WAS A 12-POUND DOG! What did that little stunt cost US Airways -- about $10K or more?? Cripe, the 200-pound pig in first class acted better than this yippie mongrel.

Later,
Eye

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, it's hilarious. What's even more laughable is the wussy crew couldn't get a 12-pound dog under control and had to divert the plane. IT WAS A 12-POUND DOG! What did that little stunt cost US Airways -- about $10K or more?? Cripe, the 200-pound pig in first class acted better than this yippie mongrel.

Later,
Eye

The little ones can be the most vicious ankle-biters.

I'm pretty experienced at wrangling terrified ankle-biting lapdogs, but I don't think I could get the dog under control if it were baring its teeth unless I had leash that I could loop around its neck. Even then, I don't think I would be able to get the dog back into its carrier unless I were allowed to lead the dog into a quiet area and get it to calm down and trust me. You really do need someone who has a lot of experience handling dogs, and flight crews should not be expected to be animal behavioral experts.

Where is Cesar Millan when you need him??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person

I'm pretty experienced at wrangling terrified ankle-biting lapdogs, but I don't think I could get the dog under control if it were baring its teeth unless I had leash that I could loop around its neck. Even then, I don't think I would be able to get the dog back into its carrier unless I were allowed to lead the dog into a quiet area and get it to calm down and trust me. You really do need someone who has a lot of experience handling dogs, and flight crews should not be expected to be animal behavioral experts.

Well said! Where is Cesar Millan??????

Crew should have taken crash axe to dog -- dog gone it. (it's a joke people!!)

Later,
Eye