Smithsonian Air & Space Museum

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
Greetings all. I wish to tell you that the AMTA is officially starting our donation campaign to raise funds to purchase a second bronze bust of Charles E. Taylor to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center! With all the historic aircraft in this world renowned museum people do not think about the men and women who were responsible for maintaining these wonderful machines. What would have happened if there were no AMTs who possessed the knowledge, skill & integrity to keep these aircraft airworthy in aviation's past? Who maintained the ENOLA GAY? The CONCORDE? The Space Shuttle ENTERPRISE? The BELL X-15? The DC-3? How would aviation's history have been written if not for Charles E. Taylor's contributions to the Wright Flyer which kicked open the door to mankind's ability to conquer controlled, powered flight?
The AMTA web site, WWW.AMTAUSA.COM, has two new pages, "Smithsonian Museum Charles E. Taylor Bust Information" and "Smithsonian Donation Page". Like the AMTA's previous bust donation to the San Diego Aerospace Museum we will show those who have made donations for the Smithsonian fund campaign. Once the AMTA achieves our goal of $6000.00 we will coordinate with Dr. Tom Crouch with the Smithsonian Institute and choose a date and time where we will donate and unveil this beautiful bronze bust created by Virginia Hess. Those who made donations will be honored at the presentation and I am told the Smithsonian will have a plaque with the names of these individuals/organizations. I hope that you can all attend when the time comes and help support and enjoy the AMTAs efforts in educating the public about Charles E. Taylor and those who have followed in his footsteps.
Donations can be made from the PayPal link on the AMTA Membership link or mailed to AMTA, Chula Vista CA 91921. I thank you all for your continued support. Below is a sample of the web site's link. Sincerely, Kenneth MacTiernan Director AMTA

The AMTA is proud to announce that we are able to start taking donations for our second Charles E. Taylor Bust purchase from Artist Virginia Hess. This second bust will be donated to the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is the annex of the NASM and houses 120 aircraft with 140 space-exploration exhibits. This is where the Enola Gay, the Space Shuttle Enterprise, the Gemini VII capsule, the SR-71 Blackbird and Concorde, as well as other famous aircraft are housed. But among all these historic aircraft where is the Aircraft Maintenance Technician?

If not for the contributions of Charles E. Taylor how would aviation's history have played out? How would the rapid advance in engines and airframe technology been if not for the skilled AMTs who followed in Charlie's footsteps? History should think about and remember these two questions and with your donations the AMTA will be able to show the public the answers.

Once our donation goal is met the AMTA will purchase the bust and coordinate with Dr. Tom D. Crouch, Senior Curator, Aeronautics of the Smithsonian Institution a date and time where we will donate and unveil the bust of Charles E.Taylor so the millions of visitors to this world class museum can see and read about aviation's "Unsung Hero" and "Father of Aircraft Maintenance".

If you have any questions about this donation campaign or about the AMTA please contact the Kenneth MacTiernan, AMTA Director at [email protected] or at (619) 395-6681. The AMTA thanks you for your support!

I wish to inform everyone that the Aircraft Maintenance Technicians Association has achieved our goal of raising the funds necessary to purchase a bronze bust of Charles E. Taylor which we will be donating to the Smithsonian Institute's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center! I am happy and amazed at the speed at which we were able to achieve our donation goal. This was done due to the generosity and support of those who contacted the AMTA with their donations. (A list of donors can be seen on the AMTA web site's Smithsonian Museum Donation Progress" page at WWW.AMTAUSA.COM. The AMTA is grateful for this strong show of support in helping to educate the public about a man history ALMOST forgot.
Due to the rapid response of donations the AMTA is aware that other donations will still wish to be made. The AMTA will be happy to accept future contributions which we will place towards our third purchase of a bronze bust of "Charlie" which we plan on donating to the Wright State University. Donations may also be made to the AMTA to be used for other events other than bust purchases/donations.
The AMTA is now in the process of coordinating with Dr. Tom Crouch, Senior Curator, Aeronautics and Linda Hicks, Special Events Coordinator of the Smithsonian Institute regarding a time and date in which we can donate and unveil the bust of Charles E. Taylor. I will pass along information and details as they are finalized so you may make plans to attend this event. If you do wish to attend please notify me as soon as possible. I hope that everyone can attend and help the AMTA celebrate the contributions that Charles E. Taylor has made to aviation and the world. If there are any questions you might have please contact me at (619) 395-6681. As always, thank you for your support. Sincerely, Kenneth MacTiernan Director AMTA