SO, Conservatives want to overturn Roe v Wade. Interesting !!!

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
You really are quick off the blocks, Bears. Conservatives have wanted to overturn Roe for 49 years....

Legislating from the bench always has the risk of being struck down.

Even RBG criticized Roe and how it was both far reaching and how its logic was shaky ground.... ( https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/j...s-critique-roe-v-wade-during-law-school-visit )

Peril? Take your peril and shove it up your bung hole. The only people who are up in arms about this already vote Blue (or don't vote at all) and are from whacko-liberal districts. It won't sway a single suburban mom vote.

Things like 8% inflation, baby formula shortages, and gas at over $5/gallon? That's gonna be ugly and cause a bunch of soccer mom's to stay home or (gasp) vote GOP.

Keep desecrating churches and carrying on like petulant children, and that's going to alienate even more of the moderates...

The irony of all this... it's the Democrats' fault for nominating Hillary. If it had been Biden in 2016, it's likely you would have had a 5-4 majority on the bench after the deaths of Scalia and RBG plus the retirement of Kennedy (although it's possible he might have stuck around).

But no. Y'all had to chase identity politics and go after the magic of a glass ceiling being shattered.

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
You know....abortion was THE issue for "one issue voters" for decades. My ex wifes aunt was a devout Catholic. As a general rule, Catholics are pretty liberal - except for abortion. Her aunt couldn't stomach the Republican policies (aside from abortion) but she still voted Republican in a presidential election. Now that it's about to be overturned one has to wonder - what will be the next one issue these voters focus on? If they are truly "pro life" they might focus their efforts on gun control to save the lives that are already born. Wouldn't it be a hoot if that happened? Especially if the loss of a "hot button" issue costs them votes.

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
You know....abortion was THE issue for "one issue voters" for decades.

For Democrats it was THE issue because they are used to fear mongering.... and they also knew Roe was decided on shaky ground to begin with and ripe for being overturned.

From what I've seen, the only people that abortion fear mongering whipped up is white liberals... It's not a very popular topic with Hispanics who are mostly Catholic, nor in the Black churches which lean mostly Baptist. Spare me all the rape/incest and saving the mother's life arguments -- I've seen claims where those are supposedly only about 1% or less of the total procedures.

All you have to do is look at who's the loudest at the protests. You might find a few non-white women who are maybe in their 20's, but the majority of those screaming and losing their heads are white liberals of every age, clearly channeling their inner Margaret Sanger...

If Congress really wanted to "do something" in the wake of a RvW Overturn, they could push to allow abortifacients to be classified as over the counter.

Given "morning after" treatments are only effective before 10 weeks of gestation, it takes away any need to travel to a clinic and the need for an invasive procedure which might scare some women into delaying until it's now a full D&C.... That's something I'd think most liberals would support and enough moderates could sign onto in good conscience.

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
For Democrats it was THE issue because they are used to fear mongering.... and they also knew Roe was decided on shaky ground to begin with and ripe for being overturned.

From what I've seen, the only people that abortion fear mongering whipped up is white liberals... It's not a very popular topic with Hispanics who are mostly Catholic, nor in the Black churches which lean mostly Baptist. Spare me all the rape/incest and saving the mother's life arguments -- I've seen claims where those are supposedly only about 1% or less of the total procedures.

All you have to do is look at who's the loudest at the protests. You might find a few non-white women who are maybe in their 20's, but the majority of those screaming and losing their heads are white liberals of every age, clearly channeling their inner Margaret Sanger...

If Congress really wanted to "do something" in the wake of a RvW Overturn, they could push to allow abortifacients to be classified as over the counter.

Given "morning after" treatments are only effective before 10 weeks of gestation, it takes away any need to travel to a clinic and the need for an invasive procedure which might scare some women into delaying until it's now a full D&C.... That's something I'd think most liberals would support and enough moderates could sign onto in good conscience.
That's a nice reply, but what I am saying that a lot of GOP voters were voting on ONE issue. If you take away that issue - will they continue to vote GOP. My exes aunt was one of them - hated Republican policies, but voted GOP in presidential elections for the SC choices. Now that it looks like it's Mission Accomplished - will they continue to vote for GOP? Especially when their other social views were more on the liberal side. It will be interesting to see if overturning Roe V Wade ends up hurting the GOP in the long run. It's kind of like Obamacare....if they would have overturned Obamacare, they wouldn't have had much to run on for the past 13 years.

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
what I am saying that a lot of GOP voters were voting on ONE issue. If you take away that issue - will they continue to vote GOP. My exes aunt was one of them - hated Republican policies, but voted GOP in presidential elections for the SC choices. Now that it looks like it's Mission Accomplished - will they continue to vote for GOP?

You as a liberal seem to think there were/are "a lot" of one-issue voters in the GOP.

My experience as a conservative has been the opposite. The bulk of GOP voters are aligned on things like controlling the border, eliminating government interference, lowering taxes, lowering wasteful spending, and protecting personal and religious freedoms.

What I'll concede is that maybe those "one-issue" topics are what initially brings people into the GOP. It's the rest of the platform that makes them stay there...

La Li Lu Le Lo

Veteran
May 29, 2010
Today the population is an estimated 334,651,303.

We have had an estimated 63,000,000 abortions since 1973.

That is representative of 18.8255654% percent of our total population as it stands today.

It took thousands of years (estimated) for the United States population to reach 334,651,303 and only 49 years to abort an equivalent of almost 19 percent of our current total. That's WITH immigration (people that were not born on US soil). Eliminate those from the equation and the aborted percentage is even higher.

Does aborting an equivalent of 19 percent of our total population really sound reasonable to you Bears?

How about you KCFlyer?

Go ahead. Defend the indefensible.

Last edited:

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
You as a liberal seem to think there were/are "a lot" of one-issue voters in the GOP.

My experience as a conservative has been the opposite. The bulk of GOP voters are aligned on things like controlling the border, eliminating government interference, lowering taxes, lowering wasteful spending, and protecting personal and religious freedoms.

What I'll concede is that maybe those "one-issue" topics are what initially brings people into the GOP. It's the rest of the platform that makes them stay there...

The Catholic Church was very much against abortion, but the social stance of the Church is rather liberal. They are pro life - which means that once RvW is overturned, they might just turn their attention to saving the lives of school children, moviegoers, disco dancers, and shoppers and make a push that goes against the God given "right to bear arms"

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Today the population is an estimated 334,651,303.

We have had an estimated 63,000,000 abortions since 1973.

That is representative of 18.8255654% percent of our total population as it stands today.

It took thousands of years (estimated) for the United States population to reach 334,651,303 and only 49 years to abort an equivalent of almost 19 percent of our current total. That's WITH immigration (people that were not born on US soil). Eliminate those from the equation and the aborted percentage is even higher.

Does aborting an equivalent of 19 percent of our total population really sound reasonable to you Bears?

How about you KCFlyer?

Go ahead. Defend the indefensible.

I've always said that I don't support abortion as a form of birth control...the the crazy pro lifers consider a woman who got pregnant by a guy holding a gun to her head as he raped her to be carrying a precious life. They consider a woman whose life is at risk to be part of "God's will". They think that nature should take its course if the fetus will never be viable outside the womb.

Have you ever had to face the decision with your wife/partner? I have. And the LAST thing I want is for some legislator to try to identify the exceptions. Because they never get them all. So - to keep it available for people who have a very legitimate reason, we also should keep it available for those who want to use it for birth control. Besides...if you believe in heaven and hell, then the ultimate judge should be God. And my stance really isn't much different from your stance on guns....while you acknowledge that some people misuse guns....we don't want any restrictions on them because that's punishing everybody.

And if we are worried because the American population is declining...there is an easy fix for that - it can be found down around our southern border.

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
KFC wants to keep abortion around to the 99% using it as a substitute for contraception because of the 1% justifiable cases....

And yet he'll outlaw the 100% of the legal guns when less than 1% are ever used for a crime...

Never mind that there are countless laws on the books already banning the use of guns in the context of crime...

Democrats want zero restrictions on abortion.... that's what the legislation that just failed in the Senate states. No more "safe but rare" common sense. They want abortion all the way up to the point of birth.

Republicans already support reasonable controls like background checks and age limits, limits on where guns can be carried and bans on automatic weapons. But those aren't enough for Liberals.

The leaked opinion leaves the door wide open for "safe but rare" abortion laws determined by legislation.

This is exactly where it belonged - let each state determine thru its elected reps what's reasonable and what's not, just as they do on just about every other aspect of daily life, commerce and morality...

The Catholic Church has come out multiple times and stated that self-defense is consistent with its protection of life positions. Taking the life of someone who is threatening your life or others is a morally correct decision in the Church's opinion. Catechism 2264-2265.

“Let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one” (Luke 22:36).

Last edited:

KCFlyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
KFC wants to keep abortion around to the 99% using it as a substitute for contraception because of the 1% justifiable cases....

And yet he'll outlaw the 100% of the legal guns when less than 1% are ever used for a crime...

Never mind that there are countless laws on the books already banning the use of guns in the context of crime...

Democrats want zero restrictions on abortion.... that's what the legislation that just failed in the Senate states. No more "safe but rare" common sense. They want abortion all the way up to the point of birth.

Republicans already support reasonable controls like background checks and age limits, limits on where guns can be carried and bans on automatic weapons. But those aren't enough for Liberals.

The leaked opinion leaves the door wide open for "safe but rare" abortion laws determined by legislation.

This is exactly where it belonged - let each state determine thru its elected reps what's reasonable and what's not, just as they do on just about every other aspect of daily life, commerce and morality...

The Catholic Church has come out multiple times and stated that self-defense is consistent with its protection of life positions. Taking the life of someone who is threatening your life or others is a morally correct decision in the Church's opinion. Catechism 2264-2265.

“Let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one” (Luke 22:36).
Wrong o wise one. Where have I ever said ban ALL guns? But to the right guns are sacred and the lawmakers best not make any law that might prevent already living men, women and children from being gunned down. But you want to ban all abortions. Or...leave it up to the government to determine the exceptions...and they will never cover them all. And abortion is kind of a religious issue....and if that's the case, they why not let GOD decide if the woman was right or not. IF God really is judgemental and places conditions on his love, then yes...these women will rot and burn in hell. But if you get to heaven and find that God's love really WAS unconditional...will you be pissed off at God?

FWIW - the Catholic church said in 2004 that a good Catholic could only vote for the prolife candidate. So I took that to heart. Neither of them met the 3 requirements for pro life. But one of the candidates met 2 of the 3, so that's the one I voted for. Turns out...I was wrong.

Latest posts