So Long Usairways, Hello Southwest!

Chuck

Oct 26, 2002
After 25 plus years as a loyal USAir customer, they finally did it today and lost all of my future business. While trying check in for an Express flight out of DCA to SDF, I was directed to the self service kiosk. After waiting in that line the machine told me it could not complete my check-in and I needed to speak with an agent.
Fine, no problem, or so I thought. An agent working the floor in front of the kiosk told me to get in a line and speak with another agent. Still no problem I thought. After waiting in the second line I was told that I had to get in yet another line which was by then getting rather long. After waiting in two lines as directed by ticket agents who English is obviously their second language, I decided that the next ticket agent I was going to speak with would be a Southwest agent. Simply put, their business model works. It couldn't be any easier. Cheap fares and a great website which allows me to print my "A" boarding pass makes the process very smooth and effortless. The little interface needed between the customer and the agent is made easy by a very professional staff. The caliber of employee at Southwest is far superior to the "gansta' wanna be's" at USAirways. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way! I wish it wasn't true but I'm one customer that is "outta here"!

Chuck

You may also check in online at usairways.com up to 24 hours prior to your flight and receive your confirmed seat assignment. Southwest also uses kiosks which aren't problem-free and standing in some of Southwest's ticket counter lines is not pretty either.

We'd love to have you back as a customer.

Best wishes.

Sounds like a customer for Cockroach Air, right l4pi? ;)

I know l4pi feels your pain, Chuck, as what happened to you has been one of his big gripes.

The first TA should have helped you on the spot... not put you into queue after queue. That sounds like a bad operating system. Any time I've ever had that happen, the first individual I saw has been able to help. Then again, isn't DCA really a mini-PHL? :down:

Chuck said:
While trying check in for an Express flight out of DCA to SDF, I was directed to the self service kiosk.

I wish it wasn't true but I'm one customer that is "outta here"!
[post="278498"][/post]​

Sorry you had a problem. However, you are going to have a very long wait if you are expecting to fly from DCA to SDF on Southwest.

Chuck said:
After 25 plus years as a loyal USAir customer, they finally did it today and lost all of my future business.  While trying check in for an Express flight out of DCA to SDF, I was directed to the self service kiosk.  After waiting in that line the machine told me it could not complete my check-in and I needed to speak with an agent.
Fine, no problem, or so I thought.  An agent working the floor in front of the kiosk told me to get in a line and speak with another agent.  Still no problem I thought.  After waiting in the second line I was told that I had to get in yet another line which was by then getting rather long.  After waiting in two lines as directed by ticket agents who English is obviously their second language, I decided that the next ticket agent I was going to speak with would be a Southwest agent.  Simply put, their business model works.  It couldn't be any easier.  Cheap fares and a  great website which allows me to print my "A" boarding pass makes the process very smooth and effortless.  The little interface needed between the customer and the agent is made easy by a very professional staff.  The caliber of employee at Southwest is far superior to the "gansta' wanna be's" at USAirways.  Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!  I wish it wasn't true but I'm one customer that is "outta here"!

Chuck
[post="278498"][/post]​

Welcome to the club! Unfortunately, USAirways still has a stranglehold on much of the Eastern U.S. I too would rather fly Southwest than US Airways, but that will be a while, considering the nearest Southwest airport from my house is RDU, 240 miles away.

However, I will say that I think your expectations are too high. You shouldn't dump an airline just because you had to wait in two lines. Dump an airline when they screw you over and over and over, making you spend hours on a plane going nowhere, sleep in the airport overnight, refuse to refund travel not delivered, or give you a useless voucher.

Hmmmmm.....

You would rather be herded down the cattle chute than have a seat assignment? Fly with a cabin staff that acts like a Comedy Central act? Go for it, Buddy! Enjoy! :D

littlefatstomach said:
Hmmmmm.....

You would rather be herded down the cattle chute than have a seat assignment? Fly with a cabin staff that acts like a Comedy Central act? Go for it, Buddy! Enjoy! :D
[post="278557"][/post]​

Thank you for fly US sir...you're in seat 15B sir...center seat, in front of the exit row. It was assigned to you. Enjoy your flight. Moo baby.

I have had it with the whinny US "customer". No offense to SWA, but they are all ABOUT lines. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG lines to check in AND to board!!. Bash me ALL you want. I could give a damn!! PLEASE don't let the JETWAY door hit you as you leave!! Oh, I know, FA is horrible and doesn't reflect US. Get a life!! Stand in your lines. You will have more than your share of center seats when your use to be entitled ASS shows up at the last minute and gets a C card. I am over the whining!! Bash away!! :down: :down: :down: :down: :angry: :angry:

Probably a lowly US4 but will lie and say a US1. Everyone's a US1 when they have a complaint. BELIEVE me, when they WHINE on the plane, 99% of the time they are a lowly US4.

It's amazing how 25 years of "loyalty," one bad experience leads to such a decision. Doesn't sound very loyal to me.

Fly ANY airline regularly for 25 years, and things will go wrong at some point. Even Southwest.

Bear96 said:
It's amazing how 25 years of "loyalty," one bad experience leads to such a decision. Doesn't sound very loyal to me.

Fly ANY airline regularly for 25 years, and things will go wrong at some point. Even Southwest.
[post="278573"][/post]​

THANK YOU, Bear!!

THAT is why I am pissed off!! The arrogance of those that claim to be such FF!! Sorry, I DO NOT believe this person....period!!!

littlefatstomach said:
Hmmmmm.....

[post="278557"][/post]​

SpinDco replies:

What's with this superiority complex that
everyone seems to have here? WN has a right
to exist just as much as any other airline that
is certificated by the FAA and DOT.

WN, plain and simple, under promises and
over delivers. When was the last time a
legacy carrier did somthing like that?

Everyone has a right to fly on whomever
they please. It's a free country after all.
Some prefer basic service and a reasonable
price, while others, like the extra service
provided by a legacy carrier. But they only
want to pay for the basic service. So how
is WN equated with being something bad
when they actually do what they say they
will most of the time?

Get over it people. Fly on the carrier that
gives you what you expect, and don't trash
WN and the other LCC's just because they
get it right most of the time.

firstamendment said:
THANK YOU, Bear!!

THAT is why I am pissed off!! The arrogance of those that claim to be such FF!! Sorry, I DO NOT believe this person....period!!!
[post="278575"][/post]​
Whoa there just a minute. If you go back and read the EXACT quote the OP says "After 25 plus years as a loyal USAir customer, they finally did it today and lost all of my future business" What do you not understand. The OP has simply grown tired of the crap one has to put up with on US that one simply does not have to endure on any other carrier.

I've been a CP for many years and Gold before that. I've flown this airline for almost 25 years as well, but at some point in the early spring I decided that the filthy planes, the lack of staff, lack of ice on plane, etc, was simply not going to happen any more. The last week I flew US my ticket was over $1,800. The straw that broke the camel's back.....three straight days of utter chaos at the counter at BWI (with kiosks that did not work) and the absolute filth called PHL. You have no idea how hard that decison to leave was.

So before you go off half cocked on a customer who has had enough, try looking at why after 25 years they have decided to leave. Maybe, just maybe your attitude is/was a contributing factor. Could it be?

Latest posts