So, what happened to here, flt 1411 Syracuse-DTW

slothman2000

Jul 27, 2006
Seattle
The part i like the best is how the 12 inch gash showed up after the pilots walk-around....

NTSB to investigate Northwest Airlines Flight 1411
5/25/2007 5:52 PM
By: Bill Carey

It was the normal routine. Passengers checked in at Hancock Airport and were cleared to board Northwest Airlines Flight 1411 to Detroit. In all, there would be 95 passengers and four crew members aboard the DC-9.

That normal routine a week ago would have included an inspection by the flight crew to detect any signs of problems with the plane. Also routine would have been the work by crews for Air Wisconsin, which is contracted to handle loading of baggage aboard the flight. All would have been routine, until just after takeoff.

That aircraft never made it to Detroit. Shortly after leaving Hancock Airport, a declaration of an emergency. There'd been decompression. There was the smell of smoke.

Less than an hour after leaving Syracuse, Flight 1411 was back on the ground at an airport in Buffalo.

“We were probably in the air for 20 minutes and they said we lost cabin pressure. All the masks dropped down and everything,â€￾ said passenger Aaron Griffin.

It could be months before a final report is issued, but the National Transportation Safety Board is taking a closer look at an incident involving a Northwest Airlines flight from Syracuse to Detroit, a week ago. A flight cut short by an emergency.

“I was sleeping and heard a pop. So, I just kind of glanced over and it sounded like there was, you know, air swishing,â€￾ said passenger Wade Cornette.

“You could tell everybody was nervous, you know,â€￾ said Griffin.

Most troubling of all was the discovery of a 12-inch gash in the fuselage of the jetliner. Now, the National Transportation Safety Board is looking into what caused that hole to appear.

Among the possibilities is that some type of damage was inflicted to the aircraft after the flight crew's inspection, but before the jet taxied for takeoff. The NTSB is looking at, among other things, the work by the ground work. FAA regulations demand immediate reporting of any damage.

In addition to the NTSB investigation, Northwest Airlines says it is conducting its own internal review, but says there is still no clear understanding of what happened.

The part i like the best is how the 12 inch gash showed up after the pilots walk-around....

NTSB to investigate Northwest Airlines Flight 1411
5/25/2007 5:52 PM
By: Bill Carey

It was the normal routine. Passengers checked in at Hancock Airport and were cleared to board Northwest Airlines Flight 1411 to Detroit. In all, there would be 95 passengers and four crew members aboard the DC-9.

That normal routine a week ago would have included an inspection by the flight crew to detect any signs of problems with the plane. Also routine would have been the work by crews for Air Wisconsin, which is contracted to handle loading of baggage aboard the flight. All would have been routine, until just after takeoff.

That aircraft never made it to Detroit. Shortly after leaving Hancock Airport, a declaration of an emergency. There'd been decompression. There was the smell of smoke.

Less than an hour after leaving Syracuse, Flight 1411 was back on the ground at an airport in Buffalo.

“We were probably in the air for 20 minutes and they said we lost cabin pressure. All the masks dropped down and everything,â€￾ said passenger Aaron Griffin.

It could be months before a final report is issued, but the National Transportation Safety Board is taking a closer look at an incident involving a Northwest Airlines flight from Syracuse to Detroit, a week ago. A flight cut short by an emergency.

“I was sleeping and heard a pop. So, I just kind of glanced over and it sounded like there was, you know, air swishing,â€￾ said passenger Wade Cornette.

“You could tell everybody was nervous, you know,â€￾ said Griffin.

Most troubling of all was the discovery of a 12-inch gash in the fuselage of the jetliner. Now, the National Transportation Safety Board is looking into what caused that hole to appear.

Among the possibilities is that some type of damage was inflicted to the aircraft after the flight crew's inspection, but before the jet taxied for takeoff. The NTSB is looking at, among other things, the work by the ground work. FAA regulations demand immediate reporting of any damage.

In addition to the NTSB investigation, Northwest Airlines says it is conducting its own internal review, but says there is still no clear understanding of what happened.

After seeing a picture of the damge:

The damage appears to be on the right side of the aircraft just below the cusp line and fwd/above the fwd cargo door at the edge of a repair doubler from a previous repair.

Maybe a friend who visits this site will post the picture of it.

Hopefully your friend will post a pic...I'd like to see it.

As for what could have caused this, I can't imagine any ground equipment doing it, unless SYR has catering and it was hit by the truck.

Only other theory would be that they weren't using a belt loader to load, and pulled the carts up real close and damaged it that way (I haven't seen how high up the gash is, though.).

Hopefully your friend will post a pic...I'd like to see it.

As for what could have caused this, I can't imagine any ground equipment doing it, unless SYR has catering and it was hit by the truck.

Only other theory would be that they weren't using a belt loader to load, and pulled the carts up real close and damaged it that way (I haven't seen how high up the gash is, though.).
Best I could find.
View attachment 6036

Just an FYI...

A/C 9936 was returned to revenue service on roughly the 24th.

Also, not for nothing, but a guy that used to work for ZW in my city is now a station trainer for them out of IAD. He was in town this weekend visiting, and says that the main thrust of their own investigation focuses on the theory that a cart hit the A/C.

One thing you might want to consider....and I'm no mechanic...but it seems that the damage is right along a repair patch....could be some kind of faulty repair ???

One thing you might want to consider....and I'm no mechanic...but it seems that the damage is right along a repair patch....could be some kind of faulty repair ???

I doubt that. That repair was probably there due to another incident of the same kind. I have personally put repair doublers in that area due to bag cart damage.

You don't think one of them Scabs!! LOL!!! Did a bad Scab PACH Do ya!
That patch has been on there for awhile by the looks of it...I love the excuse of the ramper at Alaska stating he didn't think he hit the plane that hard....it's ironic that these 12 in gashes keep popping up on different airliners...is that standard size when you ram a cart? Also...I was wondering how long the ntsb would take to come up with a preliminary cause for the nwa gash...it will now take two years to reach a final conclusion...