Some STL F/A''s to transfer back to original bases

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
From the American Airlines Flight service website...
(They just transferred these people to STL. Oh well, it''s only money.)

STL Involuntary Transfer Reinstatement to former Base (Article 16.D.3)

As a result of the continued conversion of former TWA LLC aircraft to the AA Operating Certificate, as well as the strategic announcements about making STL a smaller hub, we anticipate a need to move flight attendants from the TWA LLC operation to the AA operation effective August 1, 2003. There will be vacancies in DFW, LAX and MIA.

In July and August alone, 16 TWA LLC MD80s and 9 TWA 757s will be removed from the TWA LLC operation, most of which will be converted to AA operations. Rather than initiating the SLT base right now, it makes sense to transition some of the flying associated with these aircraft back to other AA bases. As a result, for the month of August, we have a need for up to 130 flight attendants based at STL to return to AA flying out of DFW, MIA and LAX. Under the provisions of Article 16.D.3 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, flight attendants involuntarily assigned to STL from a base where an overage existed have reinstatement rights to their former base. We are therefore extending reinstatement rights as follows:

DFW - up to 80 F/As
LAX - up to 40 F/As
MIA - up to 10 F/As

All flight attendants involuntarily assigned from these three bases must indicate whether or not they will exercise their reinstatement rights by 0800 CDT on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 using the link below. Reinstatements will be made in seniority order from those flight attendants involuntarily transferred to STL from DFW, LAX and MIA. Reinstatement is only to your former base. If you do not indicate your reinstatement preference, it will be considered a rejection of your reinstatement rights. If the reinstatement reaches your seniority, and you reject reinstatement, you will forfeit reinstatement rights to your former base. You will then only be able to transfer to another base under the provisions of Article 12 should future openings occur at the base and all flight attendants eligible for reinstatement have been processed.

Because August bids will have closed before reinstatements are processed, those flight attendants being reinstated to their former base will be awarded an Availability schedule at their new base for the month of August. Due to the amount of open time expected at these bases, Crew Schedule may pre-plot trips on AVBL days.

I saw this elsewhere. It would appear to have been copied from Jetwire:

----------------
As you have likely heard by now, STL will be transitioning from a major to a smaller AA hub, effective November 2003. Consequently, STL Maintenance, Ramp Service and Customer Service departments will require substantially fewer people to support the remaining schedule. Sadly, approximately 2000 people from these departments will be furloughed. In addition, the STL Reservations Office will close September 15, 2003 and all personnel will be furloughed or bump to other reservations offices.

Here is the latest information relating to the STL operation and the STL/SLT crew base.

STL
· Total Operations will drop from 418 daily departures to 202
· Mainline jet service will drop from 213 daily departures to 53 – 45 S80 and 8 757
· RJ Operations will drop from 93 daily departures to 75
· Prop Operations will drop from 112 daily departures to 74

This schedule realignment is a major part of American’s plan to return to profitability and will add hundreds of millions to the bottom line. Unfortunately, this will result in a major furlough of ramp service, maintenance, reservations and customer service personnel in STL. Flight Service will maintain a crew base in STL/SLT, however planned size is approximately 600 Flight Attendants, down from the present 920. Approximately 130 Flight Attendants will return to DFW, LAX and MIA on August 1.

----------------​
Is my math challenged? Currently there are 920 flight attendants in STL. Only 600 will remain come August first. 130 are returning to DFW, LAX and MIA. What happened to the other 190?

These transfers out of STL are effective 01Aug. I assume will we see more transfers out as they continue to pull down the schedule leading up November 1.

I think you are right Jim. The reporter confused the 130 returing to their former bases on 01Aug and I think that threw him off. There are so many different sources out there for information, I sometimes find myself reading conflicting info.

Flight Service will maintain a crew base in STL/SLT, however planned size is approximately 600 Flight Attendants, down from the present 920. Approximately 130 Flight Attendants will return to DFW, LAX and MIA on August 1.

Is my math challenged? Currently there are 920 flight attendants in STL.& Only 600 will remain come August first. 130 are returning to DFW, LAX and MIA.  What happened to the other 190?

The 600 target is "by the end of the year"--at least, that''s the latest thing I saw. Whichever reporter said 600 by 01Aug probably misunderstood.