Southwest Airlines Announces More Flights For Phl

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
And the assault continues ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040325/dath007_1.html

Southwest Airlines Announces More Flights for Philadelphia; Aggressive Expansion Planned This Summer
Thursday March 25, 1:00 pm ET

PHILADELPHIA, March 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) today announced a major expansion of its soon-to-begin service to and from Philadelphia International Airport.
ADVERTISEMENT

Today, during his address before the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia, Southwest Chairman Herb Kelleher made the exciting news announcement that 14 more daily nonstop departures will be added to Southwest's schedule, effective July 6. This will bring to 28 the number of daily nonstop departures Southwest will operate from Philadelphia by mid- summer.

"The response to Southwest's initial announcement of flights has been overwhelming," Kelleher said. "Philly Customers said, 'We Want More,' and we're happy to deliver."

Effective July 6, 2004, Southwest will begin 14 additional daily nonstop flights to the following cities: Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood (one daily), Houston Hobby (one daily), Los Angeles International Airport (one daily), Manchester, N.H. (four daily), New Orleans (one daily), Raleigh/Durham (four daily), Tampa Bay (adding one nonstop for a total of two daily); and West Palm Beach (one daily).

As previously announced, Southwest Airlines will begin its Philadelphia service May 9, 2004, with a total of 14 daily nonstop flights to the following cities: Chicago Midway (three daily), Las Vegas (one daily), Orlando (three daily), Phoenix (one daily), Providence (five daily), and Tampa Bay (one daily).

For artwork depicting Southwest's destinations (including the expansion) from Philadelphia, see http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/0...hl_nonstop.html .

Known not only for its convenient flight selections, Southwest Airlines also offers the industry's most consistently low fares. Its biggest discounts come with its advance purchase tickets. For example, Philly fliers can take off to Raleigh/Durham for only $29 one-way with Southwest's 14-day advance purchase fare. The advance purchase airfare to LAX is only $99 one-way. (For a complete list of fares, see http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/0..._phl_fares.html .

To purchase these great low fares, go to: http://www.southwest.com/jp/luvhome.shtml?...c=PR_PHL_032504 .

Even Southwest Airlines' highest fares are among the lowest in the industry. Southwest was the first airline to cap its fares at $299 one-way- that means that NO fare anywhere in the country is ever more than $299 one- way. For example, the airline's introductory walk-up fares start at a mere $49 one-way to Manchester, N.H., and they top out at only $299 one-way for cross-country flights to LAX. No advance purchase or overnight stay is required on these walk-up fares.

"Southwest democratized the skies when it took flight in 1971. We bring affordable air travel to millions more people than could previously afford to fly," Kelleher said. "It is that freedom we provide to go, see, and do of which we are especially proud. There is no substitute for being there. Southwest has played a role in bringing people together for the really important events in their personal and business lives."

Southwest Airlines is well known for its low fare leadership. In 1993 the U.S. Department of Transportation published a study in which it coined the term "Southwest Effect" for the phenomena that occurs when Southwest enters a market. Historically, Southwest's entry into a market causes fares to drop significantly and for the total number of people traveling to skyrocket.

All fares are subject to a federal segment tax of $3.10 per takeoff and landing. Fares also do not include airport-assessed passenger facility charges (PFC) of up to $9 one-way and a U.S. government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $5 one-way per person.

With respect to all Southwest Airlines discount fares, seats are limited and may not be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods. Discount tickets are nonrefundable but (except for tickets purchased through our Group Tickets program) may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Southwest Airlines. Southwest's one-way fares can be combined with other fares. When combining fares, the most restrictive fare's rules apply. Fares are valid on published, scheduled service only. Any change in itinerary could result in an increase in fare but Southwest does not charge an additional fee for Customers to make changes. Fares are subject to change until ticketed and are not necessarily common rated in Houston, the Bay Area, or the LA Basin.

The airline with the most affordable airfares also makes travel a whole lot easier. Southwest Airlines' web site, www.southwest.com , not only offers some of the industry's lowest airfares online but also helps with making other travel accommodations, such as hotel and rental cars. Customers with an electronic "Ticketless" reservation may also print a Boarding Pass, on the day of travel, from the airline's web site.

With the addition of its Philadelphia service, Southwest will operate 2,800 daily flights to 59 cities in 31 states. Southwest Airlines employs more than 34,000 people nationwide.

www.southwest.com

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES PHILADELPHIA FARE CHART

Southwest Airlines from Number of Walk-up 14-Day Advance
Philadelphia to: Daily Fare Purchase Fare
Flights (One-Way) (One-Way)**

Nonstops beginning July 6

Manchester, N.H. (Boston Area) 4 $49 $29
Raleigh/Durham 4 $49 $29
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood 1 $129* $79
West Palm Beach 1 $129* $79
Tampa Bay 1 added $129* $79
nonstop
(two total
daily)
New Orleans 1 $237 $99
Houston Hobby 1 $265 $99
Los Angeles International
Airport 1 $299 $99

Southwest Airlines from Number of Walk-up 14-Day Advance
Philadelphia to: Daily Fare Purchase Fare
Flights (One-Way) (One-Way)**

Previously Announced Nonstops
beginning May 9

Providence (Boston Area) 5 $49 $29
Chicago Midway 3 $99 $79
Orlando 3 $129* $79
Tampa Bay 1 $129* $79
Las Vegas 1 $299 $99
Phoenix 1 $299 $99

* Applies to non-stop flights only.

** Tickets at the 14-day advance purchase fare must be purchased at
least 14 days before departure and within one day of making
reservations. All fares are subject to a federal segment tax of
$3.10 per takeoff and landing. Fares also do not include airport-
assessed passenger facility charges (PFC) of up to $9 one-way and a
U.S. government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $5 one-
way per person. On all Southwest Airlines discount fares, seats are
limited and may not be available on some flights that operate during
very busy travel times and holiday periods such as Memorial Day and
July 4 weekends. Tickets are nonrefundable but (except for tickets
purchased through our Group Tickets program) may be applied toward
the purchase of future travel on Southwest Airlines. Southwest's
one-way fares can be combined with other fares. When combining
fares, the most restrictive fare's rules apply. Fares are valid on
published, scheduled service only. Any change in itinerary could
result in an increase in fare but Southwest does not charge an
additional fee for Customers to make changes. Fares are subject to
change until ticketed and are not necessarily common rated in
Houston, the Bay Area, or the LA Basin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Southwest Airlines

This, more then anything, should be a huge wake up call. WN places 28 flights into PHL in 60 days. It is not going to stop there. $99.00 each way to LAX! $29.00 each way to RDU! With our cost structure the way it is now, there is no way we can compete at this fare, regardless of the differences in service or network. Do you think that a customer traveling from PHL-MHT or RDU will car that we go to the Caribbean or Europe when it means the difference between paying 200.00 each way versus 29.00?

:(

LUV managment must have hacked into "Daves" webcast and after listening to his speech realized that he truly has no plan or clue on how to run an airline other than employee concessions.

They realized Phl is their's for the taking........to put it in "Daves" terms....something like "Rocky" vs PeeWee Herman!!!!!

No hacking needed ... the webcast was available to anyone who wanted to listen. Most corporate webcasts are behind a firewall, so I'm somewhat surprised US was so open about this one.

Yeah, I know it's only one flight to LAX (initially). But I wonder how long before US gives up transcon and starts to codeshare with United on all flights to the West Coast? I see WN flying PHL-OAK/SEA/SAN in the (near) future. $299 walk-up to LA? Ouch. If US matches, I just can't see how there will be ANY profit in the near future.... And if US doesn't match, and WN demand is overwhelming, they will just add more and more flights....

biztraveller29 said:
Yeah, I know it's only one flight to LAX (initially). But I wonder how long before US gives up transcon and starts to codeshare with United on all flights to the West Coast? I see WN flying PHL-OAK/SEA/SAN in the (near) future. $299 walk-up to LA? Ouch. If US matches, I just can't see how there will be ANY profit in the near future.... And if US doesn't match, and WN demand is overwhelming, they will just add more and more flights....
And doesn't this reinforce the fact that we need to do something to compete. Our walk up fare from PHL-LAX used to be 2400.00 roundtrip. Now the max we will get is 600.00! This will be a major drain on revenue. Now imagine the same type of revenue drain being played out in markets like PHL-PBI, FLL, MCO, TPA, IAH, RDU, MHT, PVD, MDW/ORD, LAS, PHX, LAX. And that doesn't take into account connecting possibilities!

U surely has a battle on their hands in the PHL -> PVD, MHT, RDU markets. U should add flights and discount all flights. However in markets where SW is only adding a single flight PHL -> LAX, HOU, MSY, FLL, PBI, U should only match the fare for flights at similar times. Make your large selection of flights work in your favor. Obviously major changes must take place at U to remain competetive, but I think this will help in the short term.

I agree, it is a great short term fix, but how do you handle this long term. WN isn't going to stop and 28 flights a day......it will just get worse, unless we find a way to compete with them head to head.

WN smells blood....they will have an incredible number of flights in PHL before the end of the year. They must have really been impressed with Dave's speech yesterday. Just like the West Coast and BWI.

Agreed. So how do WE respond to that threat? Do we just impliment the cost savings associated with operational changes and hope it will be enough, or do go for the whole ball of wax and change everything, top to bottom. We dont' have time to TRY this or that first. As much as I don't like what is coming, I think it is inevitable. Everything we tried in BWI didnt' work. Things like MetroJet, Business select and project high ground didn't work. Every time we have been faced with the challenge of competing against WN, we have failed miserably.

MarkMyWords said:
So how do WE respond to that threat? Do we just impliment the cost savings associated with operational changes and hope it will be enough, or do go for the whole ball of wax and change everything, top to bottom. We dont' have time to TRY this or that first.
I still want to know WHEN they plan on changing the things they CAN change now and start the savings ASAP. I dont want to hear "we're working on the skd", "we're working on this". DO IT! I know there have got to be nightmare problems involved with trying to get things implemented, but whats taken them up to now to NOT put some things in effect? Are we going to wait until EVERYTHING is dotted and crossed before they decide to start anything new?
I know we're probably going to end up giving again no matter what everyone claims on here, but I want to see changes NOW, not AFTER the fact! :angry:

Tad -

I agree with you 100%. What ever they can do now, should have been done eons ago. Why it hasn't been done, I have no idea.

Things like the rolling of PHL are being worked on slowly wuth each schedule change. The additional point to point flying is being done - most noteably with the Sat schedules. Technology advancements are in work - such as the increased capabilites of the kiosks and the introduction of the gate readers, as well as the redesign of the website. Things like simplifying the fares, I think the will happen first in markets where we compete so we are not giving away to store to quickly. Personnel and Management changes are taking place - view the COB postings thta came out yesterday for PHL. They are replacing the entire management team there (or making those in their positions reapply and requalify for the job).

Granted, things move at a snails pace around here....but there is some progress being made. I would have prefered to have seen ALL of the to do list items implimented prior to any talk of additional concessions, but there may be some things that do have to be negotiated first.

Any employees that are in PHL that can jump ship, should do so in a hurry. Run over to SWA and apply ASAP. Get hired with a solid company where you will get pay raises instead of annual pay cuts and sob stories.

Yes SW will be here..SOON..but..you have to realize they not only strive on low costs..they are known for quick turns..and I beleive they will have a problem in Philly. When their passengers start getting upset because they have to sit and wait for a broke a/c...or a pile up of a/c's that are trying to get in and out of their gates and everything that goes on in PHL..they will be sweating...just because they are SW does not mean they will take off before anyone else..they have to wait like all the rest. Correct me if I am wrong..Didnt SW pull out of Denver because they could not get their turns quick enough?? I see a huge problem for them in PHL..no more perfect 20 min turns..oh well..It is called "The Philly Factor"...Have fun!!!! :p