Southwest Airlines Connects the Dots With More Nonstop Flights; Airline Adds Flights in Key Markets

I'm surprised and very pleased to see the two new nonstops from DTW to PHX. For many years now, the only nonstop destinations offered from DTW have been to MDW, BNA and STL.

I seem to recall that 3 or 4 years ago there was a concourse addition at DTW which gave Southwest an additional gate or two, but to the best of my knowledge this is the first new service offered out of DTW since then.

I'm a bit curious to see how Northwest Airlines will respond to this new city pair. I'm also wondering if, perhaps later in the year, we might see new nonstop service out of DTW to LAS, BWI, and/or HOU.

Speaking of HOU, does anyone know the status regarding the opening of Southwest's new 24 gate terminal there? It was originally scheduled for completion in October, 2002 and the last I heard it appeared the project was nearing completion and some, if not all, of the jetways were in place.

LoneStarMike
 
DTW-PHX is an interesting move because it connects two OAL's hub cities - Northwest at DTW and America West at PHX. The last DOT stats published indicated that Northwest and America West split about 93% of this market and Southwest got the remaining 7% without any non-stop service.
 
[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/20/2002 12:25:40 PM LoneStarMike wrote:


I'm surprised and very pleased to see the two new nonstops from DTW to PHX. For many years now, the only nonstop destinations offered from DTW have been to MDW, BNA and STL.

[/blockquote]

Interestingly, WN operated DTW-PHX nonstops between 1988 and 1990. At that time it was their longest nonstop route segment.
 
Back
Top