Southwest Airlines plane lands at wrong Missouri airport

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
This seems to be happening more than I can ever remember! What is going on?

(CNN) -- Welcome to Branson, Missouri. Well, maybe not.

A Southwest Airlines flight from Chicago's Midway Airport was scheduled to land at Branson Airport in southwest Missouri on Sunday night. Instead, the Boeing 737-700 touched down at Taney County airport -- about seven miles away, and with a runway significantly shorter.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/travel/southwest-plane-wrong-airport/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

these things do happen but one of MO's senators seems a little harsh...

U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Missouri, wants a federal investigation of the wrong-airport landing. Blunt is the ranking member of the Commerce Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security. The subcommittee has jurisdiction over the safety, security and infrastructure of the country’s freight and passenger transportation networks.

“I’ve landed at this airport and it’s tough to navigate in small planes – let alone in an aircraft this size. People have every right to assume that they will arrive at their correct destination. As a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, I will insist that federal regulators do a thorough investigation to find out exactly what happened in Southwest Missouri," Blunt said in a news release.

----

WorldTraveler said:
these things do happen but one of MO's senators seems a little harsh...

If someone had been killed would you say the same thing?

Should we wait until then?

Do Southwest 737s have Inertial Navigation Systems like every other airline?  

of course not... but airlines and government officials routinely investigate these kinds of incidents. I expect there should be an investigation.... but these things have happened before.

nonetheless, the media is reporting that the pilots have been removed from duty by WN pending an investigations, a move that most airlines do in incidents like this.

I'm also not sure that the reasons for the incident have anything to do with whether there were injuries or damage. The reason why there were no injuries or damage appears to be because the pilots realized they weren't where they were supposed to be and "slammed on the brakes" to keep the plane from going off the end of the runway; further, from the 737 from the beginning was designed for short-field performance and that got tested mightily in this incident.

WorldTraveler said:
of course not... but airlines and government officials routinely investigate these kinds of incidents. I expect there should be an investigation.... but these things have happened before.

Airlines landing at the wrong airports happened most frequently in the 60's and 70's, especially at MIA and FLL. 

That's why Delta got the acronym  Don't  Ever Land There Again.

That shouldn't happen now that the airplanes have Global Satellite and Inertia navigation systems.  

Reactions: 1 person
traderjake said:
Airlines landing at the wrong airports happened most frequently in the 60's and 70's, especially at MIA and FLL. 

That's why Delta got the acronym  Don't  Ever Land There Again.

That shouldn't happen now that the airplanes have Global Satellite and Inertia navigation systems.
You really need to stick to conspiracy thoeries.

i remember reading yrs ago that a dl 727 landed at mcdill airbase instead of tpa i think it was     yrs ago a us express plane landed at the wrong airport instead in pa   think it was a dash 8  not sure

traderjake said:

INS? No, but IRS, yes (and gps). None of the planes your airline flies has INS either, they all have IRS.

blue collar said:
INS? No, but IRS, yes (and gps). None of the planes your airline flies has INS either, they all have IRS.

You're right, they're Inertial Reference Systems which use ring laser gyros vs Inertial Navigation Systems which use mechanical accellerometer/gyros.