Southwest , AirTran Pilots and Carriers Reach Four-Party Agreement

SharoninSAT

Veteran
Oct 9, 2005
SAT/WN
Apr 14, 2011 at 3:45pm
Pact provides for implementation schedule...

Earlier today, the Unions representing Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways Pilots, as well as both Companies, signed a Four-Party Process Agreement that provides for the two pilot groups to begin their seniority integration discussions prior to legal closing of the AirTran acquisition. It also outlines provisions of an implementation schedule in the event an agreement is reached on an integrated seniority list (ISL). Southwest anticipates closing on its acquisition of AirTran Airways in second quarter of 2011.

"This is yet another important step in the overall process of bringing these two great carriers together,” said Mike Van de Ven, Southwest Airlines Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “I applaud both sides for signing this important agreement that lays the groundwork for bringing together these two hardworking Pilot groups."

The Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association (SWAPA) and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) can now begin the work of integrating seniority lists in accordance with the McCaskill-Bond Act. This new Four-Party Process Agreement also creates a timeline for SWAPA and ALPA to reach an ISL agreement. If an agreement is not reached during this timeframe, the matter will be sent to arbitration and a new implementation process will have to be negotiated.

Southwest, AirTran pilot unions agree on process for seniority discussions

If an agreement is not reached during this timeframe, the matter will be sent to arbitration and a new implementation process will have to be negotiated.

WTF? Anyone care to comment/explain?

WTF? Anyone care to comment/explain?

I think it basically says what the agreement says - if the two sides aren't able to reach agreement on how to integrate the seniority lists, it will ultimately go to final and binding arbitration.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
I know. I know. Let me answer, teacher. If the Airtran pilots don't like the arbitrator's decision, they can dump ALPA, start their own in-house union, and state that the "final and binding" arbitration only applies to the 8 pilots who were on the arbitration team. Furthermore, the arbitrator's decision is only binding on ALPA pilots, not the new union's members. That will show 'em.

I know. I know. Let me answer, teacher. If the Airtran pilots don't like the arbitrator's decision, they can dump ALPA, start their own in-house union, and state that the "final and binding" arbitration only applies to the 8 pilots who were on the arbitration team. Furthermore, the arbitrator's decision is only binding on ALPA pilots, not the new union's members. That will show 'em.

Sure, if they can get the Southwest pilots to vote SWAPA off the property, too.

Southwest and AirTran Pilots’ Unions Reach Agreement in Principle
EmployeeNews on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:42pm

Southwest is pleased to announce an agreement in principle between the Southwest Airlines Pilots’ Association (SWAPA), the union representing our Pilots, and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), the union representing the Pilots of AirTran. This agreement in principle, subject to the respective unions’ board approval and membership ratification, would integrate the two groups’ seniority lists.

“The unions and Company negotiating Teams have accomplished a task that is rare in this industry, developing an integrated seniority list and transition plan for our Pilots outside of arbitration," said Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Mike Van de Ven. “It's just another example of our People taking ownership in the integration of AirTran into Southwest Airlines, and that's our Culture.”

“We are proud of both groups’ initiative to take a remarkably difficult task and produce something fair and equitable for both sides,” added Vice President Flight Operations, Captain Chuck Magill. “Our Pilots have demonstrated exceptional Leadership through their dedication to this process and their commitment to the integration.”

Southwest will continue to work toward combining the operations of both carriers and to the success this opportunity offers Customers, Employees, and Shareholders. Reaching a negotiated agreement with the two Pilot groups avoids the arbitration process and gives both groups ownership of the combined list.

More information about the Agreement in Principle will be released once both Unions’ Board of Directors and general membership have had a chance to review the details.
We are all making progress toward one ultimate goal... :)