Southwest censors then apologizes. Again.

magsau

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
The hits just keep on coming :eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southwest Airlines makes passenger change shirt

01:39 PM CDT on Friday, October 5, 2007

Associated Press

Also Online
Blog: See the shirt that caused the latest flap
Southwest apologizes for fashion fracas
Woman says Southwest made her cover up

TAMPA, Fla. — It's happened again.
Dallas-based Southwest Airlines says it plans to apologize to a Florida passenger after a Southwest employee told him to change out of a sexually suggestive T-shirt—or risk getting thrown off the plane.
The incident happened Sunday in Columbus, Ohio. Joe Winiecki of Largo, Fla. said he was sitting in the last row of a Columbus-to-Tampa flight when a Southwest employee told him he had to ditch his T-shirt, turn it inside out, or leave.
The shirt, which was purchased in the Virgin Islands, uses sexual double entendre to promote a fictional fishing tackle shop.
Winiecki said he argued that the airline was infringing his free speech right, but he changed rather than risk getting bumped from the flight and missing a day of work.
Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said the airline's employee made a mistake.
The incident comes after Southwest created a public uproar by telling a woman on a flight in July that her outfit was too revealing for her to fly.

The hits just keep on coming :eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southwest Airlines makes passenger change shirt
01:39 PM CDT on Friday, October 5, 2007
Associated Press

Also Online
Blog: See the shirt that caused the latest flap
Southwest apologizes for fashion fracas
Woman says Southwest made her cover up
TAMPA, Fla. — It's happened again.
Dallas-based Southwest Airlines says it plans to apologize to a Florida passenger after a Southwest employee told him to change out of a sexually suggestive T-shirt—or risk getting thrown off the plane.
The incident happened Sunday in Columbus, Ohio. Joe Winiecki of Largo, Fla. said he was sitting in the last row of a Columbus-to-Tampa flight when a Southwest employee told him he had to ditch his T-shirt, turn it inside out, or leave.
The shirt, which was purchased in the Virgin Islands, uses sexual double entendre to promote a fictional fishing tackle shop.
Winiecki said he argued that the airline was infringing his free speech right, but he changed rather than risk getting bumped from the flight and missing a day of work.
Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said the airline's employee made a mistake.
The incident comes after Southwest created a public uproar by telling a woman on a flight in July that her outfit was too revealing for her to fly.
You're slipping mags...this was already posted. Thanks for playing though. I think I'll put on my "F*ck You" T-shirt and book a UAL flight...confident in knowing that I won't be asked to do anything.

You're slipping mags...this was already posted. Thanks for playing though. I think I'll put on my "F*ck You" T-shirt and book a UAL flight...confident in knowing that I won't be asked to do anything.

Slipping? There are so many too keep up with.

Did that guys T-Shirt really say that? With this commotion over attire, maybe SWA is not happy with the clientèle they are attracting. Perhaps they should just kick off those they that meet the "properly" attired limits as it appears that there are less of them than the unfit.

Did that guys T-Shirt really say that? With this commotion over attire, maybe SWA is not happy with the clientèle they are attracting. Perhaps they should just kick off those they that meet the "properly" attired limits as it appears that there are less of them than the unfit.
didn't say it said that mags....but would you be so kind as to point to UAL's dress code for flights? See ya on a future flight with my shirt as I 'express my first amendment rights'. I'll be flying with the "models" who managed to divert that Tokyo flight to Anchorage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mags',
(To be completely honest with you,) Southwest is constantly reminding the public that they give their employees a lot of leeway(Empowerment) in making decisions.

If a pax gets overly "empowered" by an employee..and they DON'T report it, then as far as WN is concerned........."No problem"

If a pax get overly "empowered", and they DO "raise a Stink", then WN apologizes, blames the employee(which in reality I think, is just a "wink and a nod"), and Everyone goes on their merry way.

sky high states: the SHIRT said, MASTER BAITER.

LINK AND PICTURE: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/05/Business..._dings_So.shtml

<gasp>
Would you want to explain what a "master baiter" is to your kid? Where would you draw the line as to what you would request a passenger change...especially if another passenger brought it to your attention as being offensive to them? Would you just tell the offended passenger to "deal with it"? Very curious as I haven't seen a dress code for US either.

For crying out loud, the same phrase was used on Saturday Night Live starring Rudy Guliani -- network TV can be risque but, by order of the FCC, never obscene.

Remember that whole line of "Big Johnson" shirts that was popular in the 90s? This seems similar. I think it would either go right over kid's heads or they would get it and snicker in Beavis/Butt-head fashion and find it hilarious.

Remember that whole line of "Big Johnson" shirts that was popular in the 90s? This seems similar. I think it would either go right over kid's heads or they would get it and snicker in Beavis/Butt-head fashion and find it hilarious.

Supposedly, Beaver Colorado has an adult beverage store named "Beaver Liquor". They make more money on the T-shirts than on the booze. And I''m sure we've all heard of the "Liquor up front, poker in the rear" T-shirts. :lol: I'm starting to think SWA should have held it's ground on the first case. Now we get to see all the crazies with a t-shirt or halter top try to get their 15 minutes of fame by getting kicked off SWA.

But Saturday Night Live is not the same Saturday morning cartoons.

Late night TV is more risque and they know children are more than likely not watching, plus you can control what your children watch on TV it's this thing called being a parent. Now if you let your children watch things like Comedy Central then that's your choice and then you coose to to also discuss why with your children why Sarah Silverman just licked her dogs hiney to your seven year old It's one of the joys of living in a free society which also includes the rights of a company to decline to provide a service to you if you don't meet their dress code real or implied.

Would you want to explain what a "master baiter" is to your kid? Where would you draw the line as to what you would request a passenger change...especially if another passenger brought it to your attention as being offensive to them? Would you just tell the offended passenger to "deal with it"? Very curious as I haven't seen a dress code for US either.

Well with the angler implications someone with a bit of sanity would be able to explain to his child that the man in question was a "professional" at baiting hooks for his job as a fisherman. I remember when I was a kid seeing a guy with a T-shirt with a Rhino on it and the caption said "i'm horny". I took it to mean that was the rhino's name. Wasn't until several years later that I realized what the shirt was IMPLYING. An implication is just that. It is only as perverse as the perverse person reading into what is implied. So I would not worry about all the little children. How about explaining why the pilots were naked on the SWA flight to the little ones?

You mentioned the FU phrase on a shirt. There is no implication to that shirt. It contains a foul word and does not need an interpretation. If you showed up with "Pogue mahon me arse" then one would need to know a little gaelic to get the idea. It is vulgar but only for those that know what it says.

SWA is need of some direction at the mgmnt level on this issue. Also perhaps some training would be of assistance to the employees on how to deal with situations such as this. As of now the current policy is apparently not getting the job done.

mags....where is the UAL dress code again? And how would you explain to the good catholic kid why he's going to hell for baiting a hook?

From what I read in the papers the Catholic kids have more worries than a T-Shirt. Also, who says baiting hooks sends you to hell?

In your urge to divert this from SWA to UAL, I don't see the same kind of press for us. Perhaps we either allow more vulgar attire than SWA or our clients are not of the type to wear what would be offensive on SWA. I know which one I think it is and I bet WE don't agree. :lol: