Southwest cuts walk-up fares 25%

I hate to admit it, but when I heard this announcement, and then saw the commercials, I couldn't help but think that this was WN driving another nail in the major carriers coffins. I had my chance though, I could have been working for WN a long time now. Back then they had less than 10 departures from MCI. You win some,....

Well, I'm not so sure that this new move by WN will do any more damage to the majors than they have already done. WN's walk-up fares were already the cheapest or nearly so even before this move... so, all of the business passengers that were willing to tolerate WN's service model (no preassigned seats etc.) had probably already converted over.

Those of the biz passengers / employers that don't want to subject their travelers to non-preassigned-seating will not be persuaded to switch over to WN on account of price. The extra time that one has to spend getting to the airport early in order to avoid an undesirable seat represents, for many companies and businesspeople, lost billable time and/or lost productivity that the lower fare does not compensate for. Choice of seat can also affect the traveler's ability to work productively during the flight... companies that want their business travelers to work while in transit won't select airlines that don't offer preassigned seating.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 5:10:45 PM
How exactly does this work? All the airline seats looked the same to me on Delta, American, United et.al. How does preassigned seating help someone work while in transit?
----------------

Hmm, not familiar with FC, BC, or econ Plus (or MRTC)? Do you realize that an A320 seat is up to an inch wider than a 737 seat? If you get assigned seating, you can get that first isle seat in coach that will ensure you are able to quickly get off the jet at arrival.

Choice of seat can also affect the traveler's ability to work productively during the flight... companies that want their business travelers to work while in transit won't select airlines that don't offer preassigned seating.

How exactly does this work? All the airline seats looked the same to me on Delta, American, United et.al. How does preassigned seating help someone work while in transit?

----------------
On 8/29/2002 5:59:21 PM

Hell busdriver - if you get in the first boarding group you can have seat 1A on SWA.
----------------

Which means you have to be to the Airport first, at considerable cost if you bill by the hour. Who knows, maybe SWA could start giving First Group waivers to the most frequent of frequent flyers.

Busdriver, according to Time magazine, if flying out of Denver on United, one had better be at the airport AND checked in one hour prior to the flight, lest econ plus be flying with one more empty seat. Then their hourly rate goes WAY up as they pass by the gate they were originally scheduled from and down to the waiting area for the next flight out. Could get costly.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 7:27:48 PM

Busdriver, according to Time magazine, if flying out of Denver on United, one had better be at the airport AND checked in one hour prior to the flight, lest econ plus be flying with one more empty seat. Then their hourly rate goes WAY up as they pass by the gate they were originally scheduled from and down to the waiting area for the next flight out. Could get costly.
----------------

Actually KC, If SWA's website is to be believed, one should show up at least an hour early from most cities served. The hour is for checked bags, something "road warriers" seldom do. UAL cuts off check ins at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure.

http://www.iflyswa.com/travel_center/trave...ry.html#airport

Incidently, how long would one need to wait at DEN to catch a flight on SWA? That wait would be REALLY expensive. SWA is a great airline for business travelers...if they own a "what-a-burger" [;)]

[/quote]

Actually KC, If SWA's website is to be believed, one should show up at least an hour early from most cities served. The hour is for checked bags, something "road warriers" seldom do. UAL cuts off check ins at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure.

http://www.iflyswa.com/travel_center/trave...ry.html#airport

Incidently, how long would one need to wait at DEN to catch a flight on SWA? That wait would be REALLY expensive. SWA is a great airline for business travelers...if they own a "what-a-burger" [;)]
----------------
[/quote]

Bus- If you would of read a little more you would have noticed LUV as most other airlines also have the "10 minute rule"[:knockout:]

Hey busdrvr, I admire you guys at UAL. You work for the worlds largest airline, (oops, forgot), the most financially secure, (oops, forgot), the largest on the west coast, (oops, forgot). Come to think of it I don't admire you guys, I kinda feel sorry for ya! Good luck with 'da Judge in the very near future pal, [;)]

Busdriver - you know, even econ plus is still an airplane seat, Of course, I (and my "company") are pretty cost concious travellers, so chances are good that I won't be in one of those "special" seats. And how long before departure do y'all start boarding? Delta starts 30 minutes prior. Nothing like sitting in an airplane seat for an extra 30 minutes with an APU that can't keep up with the heat outside to make for the start of an enjoyable trip. I only repeated information that I found in the July 15 issue of Time magazine.

As far as the disparaging remarks about Jetdoc's time spent on here... I believe I see a UAL mechanic name "gatemech" posting a lot more frequently. Sure hope his getting his full 8 hours of rest before turning the wrench over at UAL.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 4:38:56 AM

Hey busdrvr, I admire you guys at UAL. You work for the worlds largest airline, (oops, forgot), the most financially secure, (oops, forgot), the largest on the west coast, (oops, forgot). Come to think of it I don't admire you guys, I kinda feel sorry for ya! Good luck with 'da Judge in the very near future pal, [;)]
----------------

Ok, That's fair. I respond, curteously, to the misconceptions about UAL, and it's checkin policy and point out the similarity to yours. Some folks may actually like a seat choice. What I get back is your classless remark...pal. So here goes. Yes, we're more likely to "see the judge" in the future. Of course if recent history is any indication, you're much more likely to have parts falling off your jets (maybe less time on the forum and more time tightening those screws eh doc?) you're much more likely to run off the end of the runway (now that's safe..What's that THREE in the last couple years?) And I won't even mention the SWA JET that strayed on to the active runway and nearly took out the UAL jet on TO roll (taxiing a little to fast to read the signs?) Yep, you're cheaper...Pal, but I'll take our "expensive" Know how to tighten the screws mechanics ANYDAY.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 4:29:51 AM

Bus- If you would of read a little more you would have noticed LUV as most other airlines also have the "10 minute rule"[:knockout:]
----------------

So you mean that you have the same policy as UAL for the checkin cutoff? so you mean, despite UALs press "coverage", it's policies aren't that far off other airlines? Maybe your sarcasm should be directed to KC, as you are making my point. RTP. I never said you DIDN'T have a ten minute cutoff. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised it's not lower

Busdrvr, why you continue to insist on embarrassing yourself and the UAL pilot group I do not know.

Go away, you little baby.