Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Second Flight Attendant Group Supports AFA Strike Position
Saturday November 20, 2:00 am ET
Southwest's Union Opposes Effort to Turn Back the Clock
here

WASHINGTON, Nov. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Flight attendants at Southwest Airlines yesterday became the second union outside of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA in as many days to express its support for AFA's call for a nationwide strike in the event that any of its collective bargaining agreements are abrogated.

"Our unions have worked together on many important flight attendant issues, and we benefited greatly from the support of AFA during our recent contract negotiations," noted Thom McDaniel, president of Transport Workers Union Local 556 in Dallas. "We will not stand on the sidelines while airline executives misuse bankruptcy courts to cover up their own mistakes and turn back the clock on the progress that we have all achieved.

"Thank you for taking a stand in this fight for the future of all flight attendants," McDaniel said.

With airlines indicating their desire to manipulate the federal bankruptcy laws and tear up legally binding contracts with their employees, AFA earlier this week indicated that it will move forward with CHAOS(tm) job actions should that happen. CHAOS is AFA's trademarked tactic for surprise work stoppages that could affect any flight, any airport and any day, subject solely to the union's discretion.

On November 18, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents employees at American Airlines, the nation's largest carrier, also expressed its support for AFA's position.

More than 46,000 flight attendants join together to form AFA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000 member strong Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Visit us at http://www.afanet.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO

IMHO, everyone who will benefit by having more people on their aircraft will support this strike.

Why should they not support the self-destruction of a competitor?

Sounds like a scab to me. Don't worry though Aisle.....we'll stick around long enough to ensure that your wages are destroyed too!

aislehopper said:
IMHO, everyone who will benefit by having more people on their aircraft will support this strike.

Why should they not support the self-destruction of a competitor?
[post="202673"][/post]​

...If you have not "got it" by now-your hopeless.................

The SW FAs know it's only a matter of time before the hatchet swings their way.

U is dead already. Not even 3rd world wages can compensate for Lakefield management team's incompetenece.

The SW FAs know it's only a matter of time before the hatchet swings their way.

Actually, the hatchet is not swinging at WN FAs at all, but if they cook up a job action during this busy holiday period, it very well may.

Southwest's FAs just got a sweetheart of a contract. Some would argue it's too good. That's neither here nor there. Colleen caved in and the company gave it to them.

If McDaniel and his minions try a job action (and I doubt seriously he would, but people never cease to amaze me with the things they do) I would suggest that the average seniority of Southwest's FAs would be reduced significantly.....because an illegal job action at a carrier where there have been no contract concessions would open up the playing field to all sorts of terminations for cause.

I would ask the poster (who rendered the above quote) why, since Southwest Airlines Co just coughed up a pretty sweet deal for their FAs....he or she would blatantly opine that the hatchet has any intention of swinging towards the WN folks.

They've never been forced to give up concessions nor have they ever been subjected to layoffs or involuntary furlough. Why would anyone want to give that up?

I can appreciate Southwest's solidarity with other FAs at other carriers. i too think it is obscene what the USAirways folks especially are having to deal with. HOWEVER a job action which causes the carrier who treats employees properly to lose revenue would be a very bad thing, don't you think?

Fly said:
Sounds like a scab to me. Don't worry though Aisle.....we'll stick around long enough to ensure that your wages are destroyed too!
[post="202677"][/post]​

My my, aren't we quick to call names?

My wages have already taken a hit. However, what does or does not happen at UAL and U are not as material as our cost structure when compared to the LCC's.

What I am saying is many people are going to cheer you on knowing that they benefit from watching you flush your company.

The other union carriers cannot join you because it would be an illegal job action under the RLA and their members could be fired. The flight attendants at the non union carriers will not join you because we will get fired.

So, it will come down to just afaUAL and afaUSAirways engaging in a job action that will push their respective customers away.

The passengers will have to go somewhere, and it will be right to the carriers of the unions that are cheering you on. This job action will increase their job security at the expense of your own.

Unfortunately, you folks are getting played.

Everyone believes that SWA labor groups will eventually succumb to what is happening at the Legacy Carriers. I don't believe that for a minute!! SWA will still be the highest paid labor groups when all is settled and done. And when the hatchet is finished swinging over at the Legacy Carriers, most of the LCC'S will be paying better than them.

It was interesting wording that McDaniel used. He didn't say that the SWA flight attendants would actually CHAOS or strike per se. He just said they "support" the AFA and they ".....will not stand on the sidelines....." I read that as, yeah we empathize with you guys AND maybe we'll send a few flight attendants over on their days off to join you at your picket lines. It seems to me that it is EXTREMELY doubtful that the flight attendants over at SWA, who just got what is probably the best contract in the industry, are going to join any job action. Particularly if it turns out to be an illegal action as I doubt they want to risk the fines.

The topic title of this thread is misleading. Southwest Airlines is not supporting an AFA strike. The WN union is supporting a strike.

ualdriver said:
It was interesting wording that McDaniel used. He didn't say that the SWA flight attendants would actually CHAOS or strike per se. He just said they "support" the AFA and they ".....will not stand on the sidelines....." I read that as, yeah we empathize with you guys AND maybe we'll send a few flight attendants over on their days off to join you at your picket lines. It seems to me that it is EXTREMELY doubtful that the flight attendants over at SWA, who just got what is probably the best contract in the industry, are going to join any job action. Particularly if it turns out to be an illegal action as I doubt they want to risk the fines.
[post="202818"][/post]​

You're right and there isn't exactly a buzz of support, mustless conversation on the SWA boards. I'm sure their hearts are really hurting and sympathizing. <_<

ualdriver said:
[post="202818"][/post]​

well one thing is for sure , you sure as hell aren't going to risk your tired hide for anything or anyone.... cmon admit it :up:
besides why worry about us, we're just the help

cybercat said:
Seems like they can hardly wait for you to go out of business.
[post="204313"][/post]​

Indeed, so they can take over our service to HKG, with their flying trashcans and beverage service. I would love to see a SW crew trying to work a 15-hour trip to Asia. For sure, the first few months would make for some great laughs. Queen cart, huh :blink: ?

Latest posts