Southwest Van Driving Through Philly

OK....so get this. Like 20 minutes ago Im walking down South Street(a major PHL street) and I hear this loud music coming from this van. A van all painted in WN colours with speakers is promoting their new fares in the PHL market. What a great idea! South Street is a popualr place for the young/college bar crowd looking for cheap fares. Why oh why cant we do something like that? All in all, I thought that was such a clever idea!

Apparently they are also in Rittenhouse Square right now handing out peanuts announcing thier arrival.

Dont worry, we got a silver plane that says usairways.com on the side. :rolleyes:

stoopidute442 said:
Sometimes there are multiple USAirways trucks at the WAWA on midnight shift in PHL. LOL
The trucks in Wawa's lot are a decoy, we're across the street in Lou Turk's.

Remember....advertising does not work!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And another sales tactic they(SWA) are using is to break the normal purchasing habit pattern in PHL. They will attempt to get customers to use the SWA product at least once, thus, demonstrating that their product is as good, if not superior, to UAIR's at a lower cost. Then, through referrals and repeat customers, SWA will lure away more and more of UAIRs customer base. This really is all sales 101. Tried and true, works every time it is tried. IT DOES NOT TAKE A HARVARD MBA!!!!!!

If it's any consolation, I have seen some new U advertising recently. They're sponsoring TV coverage of the A-10 conference men's basketball tournament. I thought it was a surprisingly smart move. Probably lots of folks in Philly watching with the great season the St. Joseph's team has had. Of course, it's just U's luck that St. Joe's got spanked by Xavier in the tournament. Still, it was a good idea.

Also, rumor has it that U will launch more advertising this spring possibly as early as April. We'll see.

I was watching a flyers game on tv, and saw a bunch of US commercials. Of course the southwest logo was displayed prominently next to the score graphic on the screen for the whole game. :(

Heck, I see Southwest commericals in my hometown and they don't even fly into here. I never see a U commercial and all we have is Beechcraft 1900's going to Pit. Most people I know who are flying anywhere will drive to CHM 2hours away just to get a cheaper flight. The commuter out of here to Pit is very expensive.

Not to stray too much off topic, but this really stupifies me. Before 9/11 there would be 2 people working a flight (bags, check-in, ticketing, loading and unloading, security). Everything. Now they have at least 4-5 TSA's standing in security for everyflight with only a max. of 19 people to board!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic. It just PO's me everytime I see a SW commercial on my tv. I haven't seen a commercial for USAirway in years. :angry:

We advertise in PHL. Just go out to the airport and look at all those US Airways planes we have parading up and down the taxiways waiting for takeoff. If thats not advertising, I dont know what is??? :p

I have seen little things here and there though. Opened a AAA book the other day and saw an ad for US. Of course it was an Alaska and Western Canada book, which we dont go close to except for Seattle, but the thought was there.

Im pretty sure U doesn't Really need to Advertise a Market they Already have in Philly... OF course when they introduce new Markets or New Partners that seems to be when I see the most Ads.... When SouthWest Started Flying out of DET they did a TON of Marketing... Even had an Open House for Travel Agents and for just Showing up we recieved Free Round Trip Tickets... To which I NEVER Used !!!

I say Let them Advertise all they want...And I will continue to say... SO WHAT !!!

As for the Advertising at WAWA being a Decoy cause your all at Lou Turks.... HA HA HA HA HA TOO FUNNY !!!! Can't believe you'd be Wasting your time THERE !!! I've heard all the Rumors about that place !!!!

Colby said:
Im pretty sure U doesn't Really need to Advertise a Market they Already have in Philly...

I say Let them Advertise all they want...And I will continue to say... SO WHAT !!!
You're kidding, right?

U is about to face the beginning of the mother of all assaults on its most profitable hub, of course they have to advertise - and they had better do a good job of it.

The history is clear. If U doesn't step up and use every weapon at its disposal, it will be run out of Philly just like it was at BWI and in southern California.

Advertising & marketing, special promotions, improved service (yes, it's already quite good - but everyone will have to find a way to stand out for the customer), increased frequencies, new aircraft, etc. are all critical.

If U simply takes the attitude that it already owns Philly and doesn't have to win the customer all over again - then U will surely lose and, yes, that will likely be the end for U as we know it. U wins Philly or U dies - it's that simple.

Seems to me that it's a little more important to advertise in Philly and its other key hub markets than say - in a market that sees three Beech 1900s a day.

Flying Titan< I actually agree with you. Oh, and by the way there are more than just 3 1900's ;) I just know in the area in which I live, USAirways Express is it. I find it odd how I am always seeing Southwest commercials in an area they don't even market. Marketing is very important and I think it is time to get that Ball rolling. I think it should be something fun, energetic and tittilating to spark interest, because I am afraid if we don't we are going to look like sorry saps. JMOHO. :rolleyes:

Okay so you're Honestly telling me that Driving Up and Down South Street is Gonna Be the "DEATH OF USAIRWAYS"..... Yeah All the Teeny Boopers that hang out on South Street and go out Clubbing are really gonna make a Huge Difference !!! Now, if someone were to tell me they were going around the Circle in front of the Art Museum or up and Down Market Street... OR How About 12th Street..... For those that Actually LIVE IN PHILLY Know what I mean !!!

Sounds like the Employees of WN just were looking at a Nice day to take the Van Out and go "CRUISING"....

Hell, to listen to ALMOST all of you on here lately I'd Have to wonder why you even care !!! According to MOST of you the "SHIP IS SINKING" Anyway !!!!

Not my ship. I bought my business from the previous owner and began advertising and business is up over 50%. It works. If it did not, why would SWA be doing it? How about AMR? Like Kitty, I see SWA and AMR ads all of the time where I live on T.V. and neither flys here. If UAIR is going to do the same thing that they have always done, and do a poor job advertising, they are sunk. I guess that is why people still ask me if UAIR is still in business.

Colby, I'm afraid you're not getting it. WN is going after that crowd specifically because it's the low-hanging fruit. They can make a profit even if those are the only people on their planes. US can't.

So you start there because you don't want to run at a loss for very long in a new market if you don't have to. Once the market is established, then you do Market and 12th...and not with a loud van, either.

Have you ever looked at what happened in the early 90s in the BUR-OAK market? US had ~65% of that market before WN stepped in. It only took WN 18 months to go to 99% of a market that they nearly tripled in size. US exited that market after about 6 months. It is but one example, but there are many. WN knows how to win this battle against US, and if US doesn't change its tactics, WN won't even breathe hard while destroying US's PHL market.