Specific route cuts/base closures/furloughs

fltguymk

Advanced
Aug 27, 2007
Hello all. I was under the impression that AA was to announce all the specific routes that will be cut on the 17th of June. So far, I have seen nothing. Besides all of the cuts to San Juan, does anyone have any other info on base closures, furloughs, etc. I am based in BOS-I and just wondering what our fate will be.... Thanks

We will know sometime in July to comply with the WARN act to be effective in September or October.

IIRC, the original press release mentioned 6-8 weeks to determine the extent of the cuts. That would put the deadline right at 01JUL if they take the full 8 weeks. Interesting irony, it was 02JUL03 that I was furloughed last time. At least, this time I get to commute on the jumpseat all through the heavy Summer travel season. Oh joy! :lol:

We should know the schedule changes on 28JUN08.

While anything can happen, the plan is to cut very few, if any, stations.

I agree. I know there are a number of "nAAtives" (of which, I am one before anyone gets your panties in a wad) who would love to see STL closed/abandoned to "prove" what a bad investment the TWA purchase was. However, there is a LOT of traffic into/out of STL despite what Mr. "Ghost-town" thought he observed.

Maybe there isn't that much mid-day traffic, but if he were to be in the terminal 0600-1100 or after 1500, he would see that, you can't stir the passengers with a baseball bat. Granted, it may not be what it once was, but then neither is DFW either. The f/a bidsheet at DFW used to have 700 lines of flying every month--strictly on the domestic side. Trust me, it ain't that much anymore.

I keep saying I want this alleged recession to get started so I can get a seat on the way to work or home and not have to ride the jumpseat. I can commute on either AA or WN from Dallas. There ain't no space available most days on WN these days (7-8 flights/day each direction) or on AA (10 flights/day each direction) except for the jumpseats. I jumpseated yesterday on the way up here, and there were 7 f/as behind me trying to get a jumpseat.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "the reports of STL's demise are greatly exaggerated."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good point Mark(station closings/NOT closing)

(IMHO) Here's why.

Over 5 years ago, AA pulled TWU rampers OUT of NON contract protected stations(meaning STATION protected).

If you look at BDL(my LAST stop)as an example, after the Qtr. 4 reductions, you(should/will) see that all ORD/STL/RDU trips being on "Micro jets"

This leaves SJU x1...............MIA x 1, ...........and(at the most) DFW x 3/4.

That alone falls "under" (company)TWU staffing Obligations, save for the LONE..Station Protected clause that went into effect on 2/11/1983, meaning that any FT/FSC who was in BDL on that date,and STILL IS, cannot be removed, unless AA pulls all mainline flights out.

There are only 2 men with that protection,....seniority #1...and seniority #5.
# 5..is "saving the bacon" of sen. # 2-3-4, because they are senior to #5 !

From what I'm told, (perhaps by yourself) is......... BDL/SJU (757) is a real good $$$ money maker, (the MIA x1...I'm not sure about), and as for BDL/DFW,.........BDL is home to the ERO.
I doubt that the GM of ERO wants to be riding an RJ, :rant: back and forth to the Mother Ship.

I heard we'd find out the third week of June. I'll take your word for the 28th because you are usually right.

Until we know for sure I am done with the speculation/guesses/alleged insider knowledge of what-who-where the cuts will be. I just wish they'd get a move on and make the official announcement because the suspense is KILLING me.

Over 5 years ago, AA pulled TWU rampers OUT of NON contract protected stations(meaning STATION protected).

Any idea which cities are still protected? I know I've asked before, but can't remember....

There are only 2 men with that protection,....seniority #1...and seniority #5.
# 5..is "saving the bacon" of sen. # 2-3-4, because they are senior to #5 !

What kind of seniority does it take to be #5 in BDL? Roughly how many FT FSCs are there?

Any idea which cities are still protected? I know I've asked before, but can't remember....

What kind of seniority does it take to be #5 in BDL? Roughly how many FT FSCs are there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev,

I don't have a recent contract book handy, but it the "usual places/suspects"

For example, on the east coast its...BOS/BDL/NYC(JFK-LGA-EWR--one station agreement), PHL/BWI/DCA-IAD(one station agreement)
(not sure about FL.)

DTW/ORD/MSP/STL

LAX/SFO/SEA(not sure about SAN)..OKC/TUL

(A TON in Texas)as expected.

The # 5 man in BDL has 1970"something" occ. sen./////..in fact 1-5 all have 197? occ. sen.
Since they MUST stay open(unless they change the contract language, OR AA pulls ALL mainline trips out), then they keep a few more FT guys around.
Last FTer if I remember was 1987.

If a FTer with 1988-early 2000 gets cut, they all go PT, and all are able to get 40+ hrs a week, via swaps/extentions.
Medical/flying "bennies" are the same as FT.