Spirit To Pvd?

weatherman

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
It has been posted on other boards that Spirit will announce new service to PVD this week. They will offer N/S service to DTW, FLL, and RSW. Anyone have any information on this? I don't really see where Spirit will fit in PVD, it is pretty much full. Do they subcontract out stations to other airlines? I don't think any gates are currently available. I think the service will to great. Hope to see Spirit in PVD! We really do need daily N/S to FLL. Wonder how SW will react.

In Las Vegas, Spirit is handled by DL. DL agents really don't seem to care a whole lot about Spirit, and it shows. I like Spirit for their low prices and will look past the DL agents handling them. So to answer your question, DL or another airline will probably do the work for Spirit.

Looks like DL will be a perfect fit for Spirit in PVD. DL has given up on Florida N/S, so they will not go head to head. Also DL has 3 gates at the airport, which is overkill. Still haven't seen a press release however.

If that is true, that is good news. I believe US is currently offering a FLL-PVD Nonstop, but it's a once weekly. I would think there would be a bigger market for that route. I'm surprised WN doesn't already have it covered though.

But there is very little room (if any) at PVD for NK to fit. The three gates DL operates are it's CVG and ATL connections, and the other I believe is for ComAir. So I doubt they'd be willing to give any of them up.

DL only offers 7 flights a day from PVD. 5 - ATL, 2 - CVG. Comair offers 1 - CVG. 3 gates really is overkill. They do have 3 flights RON, but they could push one back like every other airline does at PVD.

Interesting note, Spirit is advertising on projo.com today. This is the online site for the Providence Journal, the largest newspaper in the state. This is the first time I have seen Spirit ads there. They don't mention PVD service, but why else would they be advertising there? They currently do not serve any cities in New England. If they are not coming, it seems like a waste of an ad. Hope we will hear something soon.

After browsing the website, I was unable to find the ad. Where did you see it? I find it very interesting since the closest city they serve is LGA!

The ad is on the right of the main page. After I posted this morning, I could not seem to find it. But it is back now. I looked to see if you could find an index of advertisers on projo, but I couldn't find it. Something is up!

The new service is indeed a fact. It will be announced tomorrow. Four daily flights to Ft. Myers, Detroit, and Fort Lauderdale. Spirit even goofed up when they released a PR today with regards to the O'Hare slot situation. Copied directly from the end of the PR:

About Spirit Airlines

Founded in 1990, Fort Lauderdale-based Spirit Airlines is the largest privately held airline in the U.S., bringing low fares and friendly service to 17 cities, including: Atlantic City, N.J.; Cancun, Mexico; Chicago/O'Hare; Denver (until 9/7/04), Detroit; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Myrtle Beach, S.C; New York/LaGuardia; Providence; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Washington, D.C./Reagan National; and the Florida cities of Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando and Tampa, with seasonal service to West Palm Beach. Spirit was recently granted authority to fly to 11 Caribbean destinations.

PR:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...556&newsLang=en

I love how the PR was corrected now to try to hide the goof. We will all know much more in the next 24 hours! The whole airport is talking about it and some airline employees have even seen the schedules in thier computers already!

Looks like the flights are in other airline res systems already:
These were shown to me by someone with access to sabre:

PVD-FLL:
0650-1000
1505-1815

FLL-PVD:
1125-1405
1725-2210

PVD-RSW
0905-1215

RSW-PVD
1300-1555

PVD-DTW
1640-1835

DTW-PVD
0640-0825

All daily MD80's...

Another low-fare carrier ready to land at Green

Spirit Airlines' entrance into Rhode Island comes as passenger traffic continues to increase at the Warwick airport.

Spirit Airlines, a low-fare air carrier based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., plans to announce today that it will begin service at T.F. Green Airport in October with introductory roundtrip fares as low as $88.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...819.2dde81.html

Looks like same plane (one stop) service to Santo Domingo (SDQ) starts in November now too! SDQ happens to be a very large market from the PVD area. I'm also kinda shocked that USAirways didn't include PVD in the daily FLL offerings for next Feb. Even with the NK new service, I figured US would have reacted...