Spirit to Start LAX-PHL daily non-stop - eff 4/14/16

The old mentality would be for AA to increase frequency to hourly nonstops and match the upstart's fares, and attempt to drive them out of business. I don't think that's going to work against Spirit, but AA does have nearly $10 billion in cash, so it's not like AA would run out of money quickly if it tried some old-school competitive response.

Reactions: 2 people
I think that it's about go time to squash Spirit. Apparently they think that they can walk into any off AA's markets without any repercussions.

Reactions: 1 person
wings396 said:
I think that it's about go time to squash Spirit. Apparently they think that they can walk into any off AA's markets without any repercussions.
Easiest way to do that? Hire their pilots!

Reactions: 3 people
Hiring their pilots would indeed be a good way to hurt a bottom feeder...

I don't think AA has much to lose from them. Their legroom is atrocious, and everyone I know who has flown them pretty much says "never again"

Reactions: 5 people
eolesen said:

I don't think AA has much to lose from them. Their legroom is atrocious, and everyone I know who has flown them pretty much says "never again"

eolesen said:

Youre right they are bus people for the most part but Parker does seem concerned.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
... everyone I know who has flown them pretty much says "never again"

Leisure travelers love to utter that "never again" not-quite-so under their breath as they leave the flight for the benefit of any crew member who may be in earshot.  At that very moment, they probably mean it, too.

But those complainers "know deep down in places they don't talk about at parties" that next time they fly, they will go online and search for the cheapest fare.  If Spirit is a nickel cheaper than everybody else, Spirit is how they will travel.

They know it and so does every airline manager on the planet.

Reactions: 8 people
The late founder and CEO of the Winston-Salem-based Piedmont Airlines had the perfect solution to the low-fare intruders.  When PeoplExpress started their very first route (EWR-ORF) it was in direct competition with PIA.  Tom David bought several B727-200s (the first of that model for that airline) which PSA was retiring and ran at least one flight on that route for every flight PeoplExpress operated.  He matched fares and gave full cabin and baggage service for the very same $19 that PeoplExpress was charging.  And he never relented on that route until PeoplExpress was gone from it.

It was a loss-leader for Piedmont, but PeoplExpress never had the market share that Piedmont enjoyed because they offered no services except a cramped seat.  In the aftermath of PeoplExpress' demise, their top managers said that was the only route they served that never showed any profit.

PS - I was a Norfolk-based 727 FE and FO during that period.  I watched it happen.

Reactions: 2 people