Spring Has Sprung a New Schedule (Hello, MSP!)

swflyer

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Chicago
www.southwest.com
SWA Announces Fares and Flights to/from MSP
Southwest has announced our low fares and flight schedule from Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) beginning on March 8, 2009. Today during a media conference at the landmark Mall of America, Executive Vice President Corporate Services Ron Ricks announced that we will begin MSP service with eight daily nonstop flights to MDW.

"Southwest Airlines is famous for increasing traffic and decreasing fares when we enter a market, and it already appears that the Southwest Effect is alive and well in Minneapolis-St. Paul, said Ron. The people of Minnesota have been asking for Southwest Airlines service for many years, and we cant wait to introduce them to our legendary Customer Service, as well as our low fares, ontime flights, and no hidden fees.

In addition to the eight daily nonstops to MDW, we will offer direct or connecting service to more than 30 destinations, including: LAS, DEN, LAX, HOU, and BWI, just to name a few. We will operate from Gate 7 in the Humphrey Terminal and will have about 35 full-time Employees.

To celebrate our entry into the MSP market, we are offering a $69 one-way advance-purchase fare between MDW and MSP. These 21-day advance purchase fares are available for purchase today at southwest.com for travel beginning on March 8, 2009, through the end of the current schedule.

SWA Adds New Flights to Schedule
Southwest has opened our spring flight schedule that includes new flights available for purchase through May 8, 2009. By eliminating 39 existing roundtrip flights from our current flight schedule, we were able to add 70 new roundtrip flights in cities such as MSP, MDW, and BWI.

We are constantly looking at our schedule to see where we can cut unproductive flights in order to add new flights in markets with high Customer demand, said Vice President Marketing, Sales, & Distribution Kevin Krone. Southwest is the only airline out there not surprising Customers with hidden fees. As a result, travelers are filling up our planes, giving us the chance to offer more flights.

Beginning March 8, 2009, several markets will be gaining nonstop service, including:
Eight new nonstops between MDW and MSP
One new nonstop between BHM and PHX
One additional nonstop between LAS and MCO (for a total of two)
One additional nonstop between BWI and DEN (for a total of four)
One additional nonstop between BWI and FLL (for a total of five)
One additional nonstop between MDW and OMA (for a total of six)
One additional nonstop between MDW and PIT (for a total of six)
The majority of the flight reductions are changes to frequencies, not eliminations. However, the city pairs that will be eliminated are: ABQ-AMA, ABQ-TPA, ELP-LBB, and MCI-TUL. Many cities like MDW, LAS, and BWI are seeing previously cut flights return to their schedule as demand picks up for spring travel.

For the inside scoop on our schedule changes, visit http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/ding-mar...t-paul-now-sale to view a blog post from Lead Planner Bill Owen.

P.S. We'll still serve ABQ-TPA, just not non-stop

One new nonstop between BHM and PHX

Interesting use of the word "new." Maybe we will see "new" service again from ABQ-TPA next fall?

Looks like they are cutting another PHL-PIT flight - they will be down to 5 (from a high of 7) although the total flights at PHL will be up 1 as they add flights to FL.

Interesting use of the word "new." Maybe we will see "new" service again from ABQ-TPA next fall?

Looks like they are cutting another PHL-PIT flight - they will be down to 5 (from a high of 7) although the total flights at PHL will be up 1 as they add flights to FL.

Suspect they are finding carrying PIT-PHL non-revs and dealing with US FA seniorty gate tantrums not profitable

Southwest is the only airline out there not surprising Customers with hidden fees. As a result, travelers are filling up our planes, giving us the chance to offer more flights.

Congrats on the new market.

Since WN is so good at marketing and customer perception, I thought about something that happened the other day at work and wasnt sure about where to post it, but this press release offers the perfect opportunity. Lady walks up to check in- ticket purchased today $158.50 out the door purchased online. Checks two bags. That will be $40.00 please. As the gentleman who brought her hands me his Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Card and mumbles to her "I told you they'd charge for bags, thats why I fly Southwest". Thank you. Have a nice day. I went to check the IFLYSWA website to see just why they werent flying WN today. Total on US with 2 bags checked and booked online was $198.50. Southwest fare purchased today online (if they would have had a flight late in the day) would have been $314.00, BUT you get two bags for free. Gotta give WN credit, that they know how to get the public to feel the luv. BTW, they would have had to travel about a week out to get the cheap fare that would have beat the one they got on US same day.

I haven't been paying much attention to seat pricing lately, but I find it amazing that a ticket could be purchased for same-day travel on a network carrier for less than $1585.00, let alone $158.50! :blink:

I find it amazing that a ticket could be purchased for same-day travel on a network carrier for less than $1585.00, let alone $158.50!

Only because WN competes on the route. Take PHL-BOS where there's no WN competition for US and the same day price is ~$500 one-way while as little as ~$160 PHL-PVD where WN competes.

The better question - why is US selling same day tickets for less than WN when US has costs ~50% higher?

Jim

You'd actually be surprise at some of the walkup fares out there now and those of us on the front line that have been here a while are bewildered as well. Also remember, that the airlines arent just competing with WN. In the particular market mentioned it was TPA-LIT which WN does compete against us, but they only had 2 flights, both of which left in the am. The customer was on a 7pm flight, which should not be priced the same as those competing with WN in the am. On the other hand, if AA or DL is also competing against WN and doesnt price their pm flights without WN competition the same as the other airlines, it might actually have been them that we were competing against and not WN.
Some other mind numbing walkups I've had recently included this past weekends $137 TPABOS. I guess that is a WN PVD/MHT competition or it could be a B6/DL competitive priced flight. The girl buying it couldnt believe it " was so expensive". :wacko: I remember many years ago that walkup to BOS would have easily been in the $400-500 range.
Very often I look at the sample pricing quotes and just wonder exactly what they are doing. I understand competition, yet think that the $59 TPADTW I saw this past weekend is just ridiculous no matter who you are competing against.