St Louis hub endangered

Status
Not open for further replies.

LambertMan

Sep 7, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I just watched the ch. 4 St Louis news. The future of the St. Louis hub sounds well, NOT GOOD, that''s putting it nicely i think. The mayor''s office has been talking with AA constantly on how to keep a hub, but as of now, the cheif of staff said its not really feasible. He said that each time he talks with them there is less and less optimism on AA''s future at St. Louis. Typically officials build things up to be better than they are, and if this is the case, things must really be bad. I''ve lost all optimism, and I think it will be dismantled or severely downsized, just leaving ORD, DFW, and MIA. They said that they have had other airlines contact them about setting up a focus city/hub in STL, but they have been put on hold until they figure out what to do with AA. Any ideas on the airlines they claim have contacted them? FL/B6/F9/US/NW/HP/NK/CX/AS????? With our luck its prolly great plains or something

Good luck to all TWA flight attendants in the future, if only things could be different.....

----------------
On 7/1/2003 10:31:16 PM AA763 wrote:

I just watched the ch. 4 St Louis news. The future of the St. Louis hub sounds well, NOT GOOD, that''s putting it nicely i think. The mayor''s office has been talking with AA constantly on how to keep a hub, but as of now, the cheif of staff said its not really feasible. He said that each time he talks with them there is less and less optimism on AA''s future at St. Louis. Typically officials build things up to be better than they are, and if this is the case, things must really be bad. I''ve lost all optimism, and I think it will be dismantled or severely downsized, just leaving ORD, DFW, and MIA. They said that they have had other airlines contact them about setting up a focus city/hub in STL, but they have been put on hold until they figure out what to do with AA. Any ideas on the airlines they claim have contacted them? FL/B6/F9/US/NW/HP/NK/CX/AS????? With our luck its prolly great plains or something

Good luck to all TWA flight attendants in the future, if only things could be different.....

----------------​

You need to ADD "MCI" to that list as well !!

I hope that no one thinks that, between DFW,TUL and MCI(one will be closed), that MCI will "make the cut" !!

I''ve NEVER been more ASHAMED, in my life, than to say that I''m a "native" AAer.

We,ve all, from time to time, hated Frank Lorenzo. But IMHO, (with all the LIES, and DECEPTION, from the so called Unions, AND the Company), WE ARE WORSE THAN LORENZO COULD HAVE EVER HOPED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least with "F L", he made it crystal clear from the beginning, where he was coming from !!!!!!!!

NH/BB''s

Interesting article in yesterday's FT about STL.

[url="http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1054966588780"]http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?p...d=1054966588780[/URL]

I wouldn't get too excited about another carrier coming in and setting up any kind of sizeable operation in STL.

From the article:

" The hub is seen as the most vulnerable - even Southwest, the low cost carrier, has struggled to make money there."

Mainline service will more than likely be further pared down, and RJ service will increase.

I don''t know what they were thinking when they thought STL would be a good hub. Didn''t they pull out of BNA in the early 90''s because they wanted to focus on the two other midwest hubs. If it wasn''t working in BNA what makes one think it could work in STL. You might get a couple corporate accounts, but that is about it.

----------------
On 7/2/2003 9:16:13 AM capeman wrote:

I don''t know what they were thinking when they thought STL would be a good hub. Didn''t they pull out of BNA in the early 90''s because they wanted to focus on the two other midwest hubs. If it wasn''t working in BNA what makes one think it could work in STL. You might get a couple corporate accounts, but that is about it.

----------------​
It was a different time. ORD was bursting at the seams and STL was thought to be a good reliver hub that could take some of the lower yeilding traffic. Little did we know that after 9/11 ALL traffic would be "low yeilding"!

At the time of the buy out, it was estamated that Uncle Carl was pulling aprox. $200 MIl.@ year, off our bottom line, from his Karabo operation. If it wasn''t for that fact alone, TWA would have had a positive cash flow!

----------------
On 7/2/2003 10:29:41 AM Hopeful wrote:

One profitable station maketh an airline not!

AA is about to undo the biggest blunder in commercial aviation history!

Now that AA got the court''s go ahead to cut 3100 more flight attendants, they can now do the full version of reduction in size!

----------------​
You are sick! Really sick! That''s way A.A.will never be known as a "Great" Airline! It has absolutly no regard for it''s employees, or people in general! By the way! The court didn''t cut 3100 more flight attendants! A.A. did!!!!

My,my,my!!!! All this negative talk about STL! You mean to tell me TWA could make money there, but "BIG ol" American can''t??? Have you ever though it might be something A.A.''s doing, or not doing, that''s the problem? No! can''t be!!!!!

One profitable station maketh an airline not!

AA is about to undo the biggest blunder in commercial aviation history!

Now that AA got the court's go ahead to cut 3100 more flight attendants, they can now do the full version of reduction in size!

As a customer that has flown thru (& to) STL several times this year I would agree a downsizing would be a shame. However, I''d rather have service to many of the smaller/mid cities on ERJ and CR7''s than none at all.( I''d rather be on an AA RJ than SW)

I would guess that a downsizing of some sort would also mean that either more flight to ORD & DFW for more cnxn''s or larger aircraft on those routes to handle the traffic.

I did notice on AA.com while looking at some flights that 767 service to LAX has been restored..so one route has pick up some widebody service.

As far as another airline coming in to STL for a hub..only 2 even come to mind..JB and Air tran..where else would they deploy all the new aircraft on order.

I do believe the original concept for STL as an AA hub (reliever for ORD/DFW) was a sound one. Todays marketplace (on a lot of goods and services) changes very rapidly, making once sound decisions look really dumb just a year or 2 later(in a lot of businesses).

Our nation was shocked by 9/11, and I believe the changes caused by that terrible event have not yet all unfolded. Our society has been scarred just as our grand parts were by the Great depression..changes outlooks for life.

Have a safe 4th of July!

----------------
On 7/2/2003 12:20:05 PM MiAAmi wrote:

I''m not worried about AA being known as a great airline, more worried about being considered a profitable airline.

----------------​

...Lest we be considered a dead airline.

Have a happy and safe 4th.

----------------
On 7/2/2003 10:37:07 AM MCI transplant wrote:

At the time of the buy out, it was estamated that Uncle Carl was pulling aprox. $200 MIl.@ year, off our bottom line, from his Karabo operation. If it wasn''t for that fact alone, TWA would have had a positive cash flow!

----------------​

Even if your claim was true, can you really argue that TWA would have had positive cash flow post-9/11?

----------------
On 7/2/2003 1:51:50 PM MCI transplant wrote:

American could of been both!!!!

----------------​

Please share with us what you know that no one else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.