Star Alliance Livery

mwereplanes

Senior
Jan 21, 2004
Copied this from the Hub:

As part of its contract in joining Star Alliance, US Airways agreed to paint nine mainline aircraft in Star Alliance colors, featuring an all-white fuselage with the trademark Star Alliance name in bold black lettering and black tail with five triangles positioned in a star formation.

Nina Jonsson, director of Fleet Management, said US Airways “expanded the liveried aircraft beyond nine mainline aircraft to include four regional jets, acknowledging their key role in the future of our company and in the Star Alliance family.â€￾ A close-up picture of the white fuselage featuring the US Airways Express name prominently displayed below the Star Alliance trademark will be available on theHub.

A CRJ-200 aircraft will be delivered with the new paint scheme in early September, and Embraer will deliver two EMB-170s in Star livery by the end of the month. Mainline aircraft are scheduled for painting in the fall, and we expect to have A319s, B757s, and B767s in Star colors by the end of November.

Now look at those fleets again. No 737's and no 330's.

Why do you suppose that is?

mr

mwereplanes said:
Copied this from the Hub:

Moderator note: Deleted entire previous post quote- you may use the fast reply or add reply if you don't want to quote the entire post
[post="174551"][/post]​

Always thought the 737's were history. It could be the A330's can't be off the schedule because of heavy maintenance on the 767 Fleet.

Maybe some of our IAM friends can enlighten us.

I suspect that mainline aircraft will be painted in the livery as they come due for paint. The 737's are pretty obvious - the 190/195 will replace them if we're around long enough. As for the 319/320/321, the 319 could be "shorthand" for the entire family, or does anyone remember if the 319's were the first little buses on the property, and hence the first to come due for the paint cycle.

Same could apply to the 330's. Or for conspiracy buffs, there's the talk of returning the 330's to the leasors in the coming BK.

Jim

I wouldn't be surprised if the 330 isn't getting paint simply to entertain the possibility that they may get returned. Why waste the money if they're not sure they're even going to stay in fleet.

Also, I do believe US did take delivery on the A320 prior to the A319.

I saw CRJ-700 A/C 708PS today in Charlotte, it is the first plane in the star alliance livery, looks nice.

The 767s are in dire need of repainting, and the first A330 will be brought into Charlotte Base Maintenance in November 2004 for its first five year S-Check. The company is bringing it in early to ensure all the A330s will be available for the busy season starting in February.

The widebodies are usually scheduled in the slow months of October thru Feburary for heavy maintenance visits.

Jim, according to the FAA database the A330s are owned not leased.

You are correct about the 330's being owned, not leased - at least that's what it says in the 2003 annual report as well.

As for my comment that "there's the talk of returning the 330's to the leasors in the coming BK", I was refering to something one of your favorite posters has said in the past.

Jim

ps - do you know what the normal interval between repaints is, or is it on an "as needed" basis?

It use to be every five years or on as need basis. But they have not repainted any A320 Family Aircraft yet. The 767s and 737s are looking in dire need of repainting.

Yes I know who you were referring to, sometimes it gets so munndane out here.

I've noticed some of the 75's are looking a little shoddy, too.

FWIW (and probably nothing), I've started writing up the appearance if I happen to fly one of the worse 737's. I know you guys can't do anything about it - it's out of your hands - but I've just decided to draw the line on letting it go.

Jim

It seems the company does not care about the appearance or cleanliness of our airplanes anymore.

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to care and making the effort to write up a/c appearance. I'm not so sure management realizes how much our customers notice the outside paint and make comments to the flight attendants about it. Best I can do is tell the Captain and ask the customer to fill out a comment card.

I hope all Captains will follow your lead.

Dea

Dea,

I'm not sure I'd call it a magnaminous gesture on my part. Some of these planes are getting so bad that I'm embarrassed to fly them.

Jim

Latest posts