Start A New Business

Riptide

Aug 27, 2003
I am thinking of putting an Aeronca Champ to work! I want to get into sightseeing, float endorsements, ski training, light charter (animal research contracts, small and close hunting trips) etc. Can anyone advise me on what it will take to do this? Who do I talk to about the charter licence? Do I have to upgrade insurance? The plane is registered privately - does that change? Any other advice would be helpful. What kind of costs am I looking at? Thanks.

The airplane would have to be registered commercially, under CAR 703 (air taxi). Your insurance would definitely have to change.

Here's the short, short, short version:
The fee to apply for a 703 license (a.k.a. air operator's certificate or AOC) I believe is $1500 and the process (especially since this is your first time doing it) will probably take at least 8-10 months, unless you hire a consultant who specializes in that type of thing. After paying the fee, a Transport inspector from your region will be assigned to your company, and through them you make your hundreds of revisions, changes, updates to your manuals until they are happy. In the AOC process you develop an operations manual, training program, and maintenance control manual- generic versions of each are available on Transport Canada's website for download. Then you have your base inspection and aircraft inspection. Then you get your AOC (like I said, 8-10 months later). AOC in hand you call up the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) to get your license to operate. And you're off! Its a long, frustrating process filled with tons and tons of red tape, but it can be done.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/commerce...tp8880/menu.htm

Also, to do any Government work, such as wildlife telemetry, fire patrols etc., you will have to register your tariffs with the Federal Government. Then you will need at least 1000 hours on type with 500pic with 50 hours on model to fly any federal personel. To fly telemetry, you will need at least 100 hours of telemetry experience.

Not impossible...

Thanks for all the info guys. One question though - what exactly is Chisel Charter??

Chisel Charter is operating without an Operating Certificate.

Usually done for cash with no paper trail.

If you are unfortunate enough to live in the Pacific Region you may find yourself a victim of our Maintenance and Manufacturing, Regional Managers rather unorthodox style of helping out the client. Then you will have done everything for nothing because you may never be approved.

In short, yes it can be done....but why not put the money into scratch and win tickets?

Chas W.

Or you can:

a. Go out and buy an OC from a defunct operator; or,
b. Partner with an existing operator as a satellite base, for a fee of course.

Good luck.
PM me if you want to continue the discussion

Operating Certificates to the best of my knowledge are not for sale.

However the company that owns the certificate can be bought, along with the OC.

The first thing you should do is see IF you can get insurance for you venture. Let us know what they say.

As Charles has pointed out, the maintenance side is a real bear. You will need to write a PRM exam, and then be accepted by your PMI (principle maintenance inspector).
You will need to write a Chief pilot exam, you will need to have a Company Aviation Safety Officer, etc. etc. Small things like creating a passenger safety briefing card become HUGE issues.
Once that is all done, you will find that you will work WAY harder for way LESS money than you could possibly imagine. My advice: you better have some other reason (ie pursuing a particular lifestyle) for doing this than getting hours, or getting rich.
As far as the Chisel Charter thing goes, be VERY careful. If the folks who HAVE put the time and effort in to do it on the up-and-up catch wind, you will likely find yourself up against charges, or up against a back wall getting beaten, or both. :shock:
If you do decide to pursue this, feel free to PM me any questions. Willing to help.