State says about 100 jobs at risk as Delta changes MSP cleaners

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://www.startribune.com/local/254416671.html

As many as 100 workers who clean the cabins of Delta Air Lines planes at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are “at risk” of losing their jobs because the airline is about to switch contractors, a state agency said Tuesday.

Delta, the airport’s dominant carrier, said it didn’t expect job losses as a result of the move.

The airline notified the state’s Department of Employment and Economic Development in February that its own subsidiary, DAL Global Services, or DGS, will no longer be in charge of tidying up the passenger space. That contract was awarded to Air Serv Corp. of Atlanta and takes effect next week.

The move affects 400 or so full-time workers, said Madeline Koch, a spokeswoman for the state agency. About 100 will remain with DGS but work elsewhere in the country, roughly 200 will move over to Air Serv in the Twin Cities and that “leaves about 100 who appear at risk of being laid off,” Koch said.

Reactions: 1 person
Off topic, but we always do that, I am in a cert class this week and our instructor told us that the DL ATL ramp tower operations is farmed out...Is that true?

the DCI carriers have long had representation in DL ramp towers.... as have major contractors. It is part of the team approach to the operation that doesn't include "us" vs "them."

lack of scope   or better yet  lack of a union with scope protection.

so once again dl is laying off men and women who have families to support   even if its dgs  its still human beings getting the shaft yet again with no recourse

and plz tell us what other companies, including your own US, have ever altered a contract.

To say that this is nothing more than the same thing that every other company does is beyond ridiculous.

contracts are bid and rebid all the time in business. Employees of contractors understand - or should - that they are not employees of the parent company nor are they guaranteed anything, esp. beyond the contract expiration date or if the contractor fails to meet the requirements set forth in the contract.

Take your frustration with your own employer back to said employer and deal with the issues that you have been unable to resolve thru the collective bargaining process that you agreed to.

Delta didn't rob you again. US Airways did.

I agree this is the normal course of business-contracts expire and companies take bids for new vendors. It's unfortunate for the employees involved but this is hardly unique to DL. Why don't we see threads like this when AA, UA, US, or even WN get new vendors?

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
You do realize Delta owns Delta Global Services (DGS) who currently does the work and now wont be, says a lot when the outsourcing company owns who performs the outsourcing, then outsources themselves.

700UW said:
You do realize Delta owns Delta Global Services (DGS) who currently does the work and now wont be, says a lot when the outsourcing company owns who performs the outsourcing, then outsources themselves.
And so is Piedmont, PSA, and American Eagle/Envoy, what's your point?

Josh

Good point 700, but sad to say almost laughable now that you put it that way.  I also find it odd that 100 employees are looking at lay-offs while Delta is making record profits.
Article states:  "Delta, the airports dominate carrier, didn't expect job losses as a result of the move.

Then the statement comes: "leaves 100 at risk of being laid off".

last time I checked, US did not lay off EN employees    now did they

secondly  DL is laying of DGS folks      so it was bad enough DL outsourced it  but it  as 700 says  sure as heck speaks volume about an outsource outfit laying off   pathetic  very sad indeed   at US at least there is recourse

swamt said:
Good point 700, but sad to say almost laughable now that you put it that way.  I also find it odd that 100 employees are looking at lay-offs while Delta is making record profits.
Article states:  "Delta, the airports dominate carrier, didn't expect job losses as a result of the move.

Then the statement comes: "leaves 100 at risk of being laid off".
Swamt, I think the context of that is no net job losses because these positions will be filled just with a different vendor. Its still unfortunate and disrupts the lives of many families but that is the airline industry for you.

Josh

737823 said:
Swamt, I think the context of that is no net job losses because these positions will be filled just with a different vendor. Its still unfortunate and disrupts the lives of many families but that is the airline industry for you.

Josh
Learn to read:

As many as 100 workers who clean the cabins of Delta Air Lines planes at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are “at risk” of losing their jobs because the airline is about to switch contractors, a state agency said Tuesday.

The move affects 400 or so full-time workers, said Madeline Koch, a spokeswoman for the state agency. About 100 will remain with DGS but work elsewhere in the country, roughly 200 will move over to Air Serv in the Twin Cities and that “leaves about 100 who appear at risk of being laid off,” Koch said.
And no one is guaranteed to be hired by AirServ.

Latest posts