station cuts for january

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
The schedule isn''t in stone yet but as of today there are further flight reductions set for very early next year [january I was told].
I am not going to predict the amount of layoffs but it certainly doesn''t look good.

Does anyone know if the new January schedule is loaded in timetables yet?

The following is based on a source I have that I believe is credible. I have no inside knowledge so please take this for what it is worth. Therefore I share it based on those terms.

1. The flight schedule for January is not loaded yet.
2. PIT to go to 10 gates. I know that sounds odd but I'm just repeating what I was told.

3. PHL to go to 18 gates.

4. Company to ask for around $2 more in pay from its ground workers. Will sell it as give more or we close up.

5. Company to renegotiate with ALPA about fleet size and more productivity gains.

Hang in there because here we go again. IMO it sounds like the TWA management master model plan. Create fear to persuade employees then sell out. Who knows? I hope this stuff doesn't materialize so I am open to any opinion on this. I would love for someone to have more specific info and disprove this...then I would sleep better. Please tell me this isn't so!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/17/2002 12:34:32 PM sabre wrote:

The following is based on a source I have that I believe is credible. I have no inside knowledge so please take this for what it is worth. Therefore I share it based on those terms.

1. The flight schedule for January is not loaded yet.
2. PIT to go to 10 gates. I know that sounds odd but I'm just repeating what I was told.

3. PHL to go to 18 gates.

4. Company to ask for around $2 more in pay from its ground workers. Will sell it as give more or we close up.

5. Company to renegotiate with ALPA about fleet size and more productivity gains.

Hang in there because here we go again. IMO it sounds like the TWA management master model plan. Create fear to persuade employees then sell out. Who knows? I hope this stuff doesn't materialize so I am open to any opinion on this. I would love for someone to have more specific info and disprove this...then I would sleep better. Please tell me this isn't so!!
----------------
[/blockquote]
Sorry...I'm out of the loop on furlough.....how many gates does US op in PIT, PHL......$2 more wacked off hourly rates for CS/FS after negotiating contract terms? Isn't that why they call them contracts?

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]Isn't that why they call them contracts?
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P] [/P]
[P]From recent experience, I guess you have to once have had a CCY address for your contract to be valid and binding. Seems those are the ones that dont have any gray areas.[/P]

[P]You all are gloom and doom rumor mongers. You all are speculating, and the Jan flights are all ready loaded effective Jan 3. The company has committed to keep the fleet at 279 thru the end of the year and you all are speculating on what happens if our Unelected President attacks Iraq.[/P]
[P]Because two airline anal-yst said US and HP could be forced to liquidate in the event W attacks Iraq.[/P]

There is reason to believe Joesy's comments are inaccurate.

US Airways currently operates 28 gates with seven gates on Concourse A used for terminators/over flow. Concourse A and some station facilities are being prepared for the introduction of MidAtlantic Airways in the Spring of 2003 and there will be a pilot contract in place no later than December 28. This contract will establish the protocol for employee training and airline startup.

In PHL the company has 33 gates and its new international councourse capable of 19 gates and 12 widebody aircraft is nearing completion.

For the pilot group, ALPA agreed in the restructuring agreement to discuss replacing the current bid system with a preferential bid system, modify the reserve system, eliminate individual trip sign-in and automate the Availability Improvement System, relax scheduling restrictions, modify rescheduling pay to rescheduled or actual, for segments that operate, create on premise reserves, combine B767D & B767I, use medical/disabled pilots to conduct simulator training, establish training lines to reduce bought trips, permit pilot to move early to new bid to avoid inactive with pay status, and permit use of TDY of up to contractual limits or extend training hold until next training class if a pilot is unable to report for initial training event and would become inactive with pay.

However, the productivity issue is old news and previously agreed upon.

With this week's industry earnings news the industry is in turmoil and if war breaks out in the Middle East losses could increase. US Airways management and its unions are evaluating how to react to the financial crisis and I anticipate there will be additional news announced in the not so distant future.

Chip

Lakeguy says we are all doom and gloom and that we have an unelected President [bush].

OK Lakeguy if it makes you feel better, Bush was put in because of a conspiracy against Gore, won really won.
Also, US AIRWAYS is doing fine.

To Chip Munn:
thanks for the info. Makes sense.

If PIT goes from a former high of 50+ mainline gates to 10, it's no suprise that the likes of Airtran and the like are looking PIT's way again.

FWIW, my source inside the Allegheny County Airport Authority is saying 20 mainline gates + 2/3 international ©. I'd envision the current setup in A being duplicated in B (eg, the interior or B26-35 gates) remaining mainline, with the far-end gates being converted to RJ/express.

Or, perhaps all of A going express along with the far end ( >B35) going RJ/express.

In either case, US might run the risk of actually losing it's political clout here in unionville--no more real planes to anywhere, no more mainline jobs, etc. The politicos around here are down to touting non stop service to so many places as a reason to help US out. Whoops....

[P]Clue, did George Bush win the popular vote? The answer is NO, judges appointed by his father and Reagan gave him the election.[/P]
[P]And if I had a dollar for every rumor, you rumor mongers spread or start, I would retire.[/P]

Not to get off topic, but Lakeguy, have you ever read the Constitution of the United States? If you had, you would realize the President is not elected by popular vote, but through the electoral college. Also, all recounts the press has done in Florida since the election, shows that no matter how you cut it, Bush got more votes in Florida, giving him the required count in the electoral college. This civics lesson is now over, please get back on topic.

Sabre I know who is president and who the electoral college vote, but if the Supreme Court did not stop the recount in FL, Gore would have won that state, giving him enough electoral votes.

Lakeguy. We are with you. Keep telling yourself the following...Gore won. Gore won.