Stock trading halted?

Chicago Tribune allegedly reposted an old UAL BK story in error...

[UPDATED]

CHICAGO, Sept. 8, 2008 – United Airlines today said reports that the company filed for bankruptcy are completely untrue and were caused by the irresponsible posting of a 6-year-old Chicago Tribune article by the Florida Sun Sentinel newspaper website with the date changed. The story was related to United's 2002 bankruptcy filing, and United has demanded a retraction from the Sun Sentinel and is launching an investigation. United exited bankruptcy in February 2006.

NASDAQ won't roll back the clock on trades made based on the bad information. So some will have lost their shirts on a panic move (i.e. not verifying it before selling), and others will have made a killing by buying under $1.00....

Chicago Tribune allegedly reposted an old UAL BK story in error...
It was actually the Florida Sun Sentinel newspaper website that reposted an old Tribune article (2002) about United's past bankruptcy. The strange thing is that the Florida Sun Sentinel changed all the dates to current before reposting the article. Sounds like it could have been intentional... perhaps someone at the Florida Sun is getting a kick back from short-sellers that were already prepared for the rumor mongering.

My heart missed a beat when I read the title of this topic.

I´ve just received an e-mail from the Company stating that United has demanded a retraction from the Sun Sentinel and is launching an investigation. United exited bankruptcy in February 2006.

As I mentioned in my updated post above... NASDAQ won't be rolling back the clock on any of the trades, and I suspect the bulk of those were machine-triggered.

I'd imagine SEC also gets into the investigation to see if there's connection to the Sun-Sentinel and anyone who made a killing on the stock when it fell...

It was actually the Florida Sun Sentinel newspaper website that reposted an old Tribune article (2002) about United's past bankruptcy. The strange thing is that the Florida Sun Sentinel changed all the dates to current before reposting the article. Sounds like it could have been intentional... perhaps someone at the Florida Sun is getting a kick back from short-sellers that were already prepared for the rumor mongering.

Someone at the Sun Sentinel needs to be given an empty cardboard box, and 10 minutes to pack their S($# in it. Then show them the door and hopefully no other newpaper will ever hire them.

767Jetz where are you to make me feel better?

767Jetz where are you to make me feel better?
I heard the news when I was in the simulator today. Sorry to be out of touch for so long. ;)

As we all know by now, this was a serious blunder by the news paper and obviously not true. One thing for certain is that someone is going to be in deep sh... um... trouble over this one. Investigations by UAL, the SEC and others are already under way.

I heard the news when I was in the simulator today. Sorry to be out of touch for so long. ;)

As we all know by now, this was a serious blunder by the news paper and obviously not true. One thing for certain is that someone is going to be in deep sh... um... trouble over this one. Investigations by UAL, the SEC and others are already under way.

You got that tidbit while in the simulator? Ouch.

Are there any decent rumors out at TK?

Just wondering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until I saw the dates on the artical, I thought well about time.

I mean who would be surprised???

Come on.....were just waiting for thr other shoe to drop.....or are you ______?.......

Must have been the same person who cut, pasted and responded to a 2005 posting I made. I pointed out that he was responding to a very old post. I recommend everyone pay close attention to the dates of the postings and replies.

Must have been the same person who cut, pasted and responded to a 2005 posting I made. I pointed out that he was responding to a very old post. I recommend everyone pay close attention to the dates of the postings and replies.

Who would that be? ... :p

In 'reality' the UAUA drop to $ 00.01 is largely due to the irrational exuberance of individuals and institutions (like the PBGC) that did not put in stops, then walk away looking for the f%C&(N% 'red light/green light' buy and sell orders without performing 'due diligence' on the source.

The reaction of the ‘bag holders’ of UAUA shares speaks ‘volumes’ as to the class of investors UAUA has (which is pretty low).

Sorry (or… not :blink: ) that I did not retort to your post of #68

I choose to let it ‘fester’ hoping for bigger fish, but all I hooked was U! :stupid:

B) xUT

This article from MSNBC details what went wrong on Monday - turns out that it was a google search by a staffer at ISA who read an article on the Sun Sentinal archive and thought it was current news. Then ISA posted it on a Bloomberg site. Read all about it at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26608735/

Says the lone trade at one cent was later reversed but that all other trades stand.

somebody f'd up . and they should held accountable.

Most news sources now blame a research staffer at ISA who googled for UAL and bankruptcy and didn't notice that it was a 6 year old article. Additional blame belongs on the Bloomberg editors who didn't verify the story prior to posting it on their site.