Strong tornado hits St. Louis airport

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
(CNN) -- A strong tornado damaged parts of an airport in St. Louis when it hit Friday, officials said.

The National Weather Service said authorities believe the tornado was on the ground for several miles and observed the twister from a tower at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport.

The tornado damaged a terminal and parts of the airport's Concourse C, which is used by American Airlines, AirTran and Cape Air, airport spokesman Jeff Lea said.

Some people were injured, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/22/missouri.severe.weather/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

The reported tornado twisted metal and blew out plate-glass windows in the airport's main terminal, CNN affiliate KSDK reported.

Four people were transported to nearby hospitals with injuries, Slay said.

Passengers were hit with flying glass and debris as winds ripped off part of the roof in the airport's C concourse, the station reported.

One witness described a chaotic scene outside the terminal as officials evacuated passengers from at least one aircraft.

"The plane was rocking back and forth," said Brett Knewitz of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who was on a plane that was about to take off from the airport when the storm hit.

Initially officials did not allow evacuated passengers into the airport, he said, because of concerns that the building's roof would collapse.Once he was allowed inside, Knewitz said he saw an injured gate agent.

"She was bleeding like crazy," he said.

Concourse C is used by American Airlines, AirTran and Cape Air, airport spokesman Jeff Lea said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/22/missouri.severe.weather/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

:( ------- My heart goes out to those, and their families, effected by this storm!------ What crosses my mind now is: How many Aircraft will be effected by this?------- And something else to consider is how would this effect AA if this would have been DFW, or ORD? :huh:

:( ------- My heart goes out to those, and their families, effected by this storm!------ What crosses my mind now is: How many Aircraft will be effected by this?------- And something else to consider is how would this effect AA if this would have been DFW, or ORD? :huh:
Four 80's and a 757 ots for weather damage.

Concourse C is also used by Frontier and American Eagle.

AA f/a lost her home. Her son's live across the street and they lost theirs too. Many of us feel very lucky to have been spared. The random pattern is something to behold. It is amazing that no one was killed. Property can be replaced. More stroms coming tonight.