Stuck In The Employee Lot!

Jonnyd

Advanced
Jul 12, 2004
Just got back from work. There was an oil spill (9,000 gallons to be exact) right down the road from the employee lot around 11pm, and they wouldn't let anyone in or out. We were told that the sparks from the ignition may cause fire, and it would be 8 hours before we could get our cars out. Flight crews, rampers, csr's, city cleaners, you name it, everyone was out there. I along with a lot of other people decided to hike it 40 minutes all the way back to the terminal. I was lucky to have someone come pick me up at 2 AM. I know a lot of people who will be spending the night in their cars. Should be interesting when the 5 and 6 o'clock starts come rolling in. Cargo City is your best bet.

MASS CHAOS.

Just talked to a friend there...

No cars could leave or get in as of 10pm-11pm. As of 5am, there is no TSA at the F Terminal at all, so there's already a huge line with no one there to let passengers in. There is one agent at the F Ticket counter who has been there since last night trying to check in the mass of people. I can't imagine what B/C must look like.

The road by the lot (Bartram?) has empty cars lining the street with employees shuttling people back and forth between the terminals.

The news said it's a ten hour clean-up so the lot won't be open until mid morning, at which point the buses will have to be gassed before they can run, cars will have to be moved from the side streets, and there lot itself will probably be chaos with all of the cars trying to get in and out.

Wow. There's going to be major delays because of this. Who wants to bet the media will find a way to pin this on US Airways? Maybe they'll say Airways employees tipped the truck over.

Yuck. This is on top of looooong delays yesterday because of a 45 minute T-storm.

I spent 4.5 hours sitting on the plane (an uncomfortable 737 to boot) to fly the 90 miles to BWI. I wanted to get off the plane and leave, but we wouldn't want to lose our place in a line of 50 planes. :rolleyes:

Why does ATC allow every single airplane to attempt to leave at exactly the same time after the ramp is shut down because of lightning? That's idiotic. Dispatch the planes one at a time like normal and let people sit in the terminal for hours rather than on the plane.

At the four hour mark, my flight almost broke into a riot! :angry:

PHL needs to be mothballed. :angry:

JS said:
Yuck. This is on top of looooong delays yesterday because of a 45 minute T-storm.

I spent 4.5 hours sitting on the plane (an uncomfortable 737 to boot) to fly the 90 miles to BWI. I wanted to get off the plane and leave, but we wouldn't want to lose our place in a line of 50 planes. :rolleyes:

Why does ATC allow every single airplane to attempt to leave at exactly the same time after the ramp is shut down because of lightning? That's idiotic. Dispatch the planes one at a time like normal and let people sit in the terminal for hours rather than on the plane.

At the four hour mark, my flight almost broke into a riot! :angry:

PHL needs to be mothballed. :angry:
[post="278490"][/post]​
After reading your post I would have never believed it had I not checked for myself, but US Airways does fly 737 and a 757 non-stop between PHL and BWI. Go figure. I was hoping you were Southwest.

FM2436 said:
After reading your post I would have never believed it had I not checked for myself, but US Airways does fly 737 and a 757 non-stop between PHL and BWI.  Go figure.  I was hoping you were Southwest.
[post="278512"][/post]​

Southwest does not fly between PHL and BWI.

Jonnyd said:
  Flight crews, rampers, csr's, city cleaners, you name it, everyone was out there.  I along with a lot of other people decided to hike it 40 minutes all the way back to the terminal.
[post="278433"][/post]​

Somebody should have "hiked it" to the nearest store to get some beer. I mean, if you're going to be stuck, might as well make it a party, right? :lol:

Latest posts