Study at Embry-Riddle?

nms

Jun 6, 2008
Hello!
I'm new here, hope this is the right place for my question.

I'm from Germany and have just finished my first studies in transportmanagament. As I'm very interested in the aviation business I would like to do my master degree related to this topic.

I have read some things about the Embry-Riddle University. They offer some master degrees which sounds good to me. (Air Transportation, Airline/Airport Management, Freight, ...)

Now my questions. How is the reputation of embry in the usa? Is it "easier" to get a job with a master degree from embry-riddle? Do the managers of airlines, airports, ... know this studies?

I hope somebody can answer some of my questions...

Take care and best wishes from Germany,
George

Hi, I graduated from Embry-Riddle. It has a very good reputation in the US. The ease on getting a job with a degree from erau is relative to the economy and you.

If you plan to stay in aviation, ERAU is, hands down, well worth the money. You will get the education you need but more importantly, you will make life time contacts that will be valuable in the future. You can also co-op through the university because they are well plugged in to Av-business.

It is unlike most universities in that the students have more focus on their goals. They know what they want before they arrive.

That said, this is a terrible time to get into aviation. A degree from ERAU is also a little diluted if you have to work outside aviation.

Do you plan to do your graduate work in the US or through ERAU's international campus?

Hi
Thx for your answers. So far, that sounds good. As I'm living in Germany I can't study in the US. And because of my job (have to travel every week) I can't study at one fixed campus. So I have to do it via online-campus/distance learning....

One more question. How is the workload per week? How many hours to I have to study to do one course?

Thx,
George

Hi
Thx for your answers. So far, that sounds good. As I'm living in Germany I can't study in the US. And because of my job (have to travel every week) I can't study at one fixed campus. So I have to do it via online-campus/distance learning....

One more question. How is the workload per week? How many hours to I have to study to do one course?

Thx,
George

Try Purdue University.

Great program. Not as nice in Indiana as Daytona Beach though. :unsure:

Thanks for your link. Do I understand it right, that this an on-site program and not a distance-learning one?

http://www.erau.edu/ec

Embry-Riddle has the Worldwide Program, where you can take classes at extended campuses (there are 130 of them, at least one that I know of in Germany), and classes online, both undergraduate, and graduate courses. They are also offering an MBA in Aviation as a degree.

I'm currently doing the extended campus. Classes are, normally, once a week, at night, on location. You can also take an online course at your convenience (you'll also save a trip in your car, considering the price of petrol these days).

I highly recommend it.

There are also several extended campuses across Europe, but most of them are on military facilities, and unless you have credentials to enter a military base, those campuses are off-limits. Even so, the online courses are available wherever you get Internet access.

Here's the information for ERAU's online programs.

http://www.erau.edu/ec/dleo/index.html

Hi!
Thanks for your answer. Yes, there is a new campus in Berlin which is not a military-campus. I could attend some courses there. But there is still the problem that I never know where I will work the next week. This mean I can’t be sure that I can go to Berlin. And because of this, I can only attend the online-courses…

A very important question is: how is your workload? How much to you have to prepare before and after the courses (how many hours per week)? Are the online courses hard or easy to go?

Thanks,
George

Hi!
Thanks for your answer. Yes, there is a new campus in Berlin which is not a military-campus. I could attend some courses there. But there is still the problem that I never know where I will work the next week. This mean I can’t be sure that I can go to Berlin. And because of this, I can only attend the online-courses…

A very important question is: how is your workload? How much to you have to prepare before and after the courses (how many hours per week)? Are the online courses hard or easy to go?

Thanks,
George

I have not taken any online classes yet (though with the price of petrol, I may start doing that soon). But, from what I heard from fellow students who have done both, it is a little tougher (being more focused on your class, which can easily be forgotten in the processes of the day). The studying is on your own time at your convenience. Difficulty differs from class to class. There are some courses that can be cumbersome if done online (like Aviation Law and Legislation, for example). Others are quite easy.

My work schedule only allows me to take one class at a time (which slows the process significantly). And, the more that I consider it, I may be taking online courses in the near future to allow me to finish my degree at a good time.

If there is anyone else here in the message boards who has taken classes online, please inform us.

Thanks!

I Graduated from ERAU in 2000 and worked there as a flight instructor for a couple years. I built ~1600hours total time, but was asked to resign, I was told that I would be fired if i did not resign.

That was shortly after I had asked for the Sabbath Day off of work because I had started reading the bible and noticed that we are supposed to rest on that day. I think that may have had something to do with it.

Currently I am working at Domino's Pizza delivering pizza on a bicycle. I know that does not make sense, but it is what I am doing. I thought I should let you know my personal experience since you are considering the university. I am maybe a little different than others because I am a Christian. So, if you are a Christian too, then I can tell you that the School is a lot of Fun to Attend, but definately not worth it for me as a Christian as it turns out.

tt1600: It will be very hard for you to find a pilot job that gives you every Sunday off. You will need to make sacrifices in the beginning of your career. Since people fly seven days a week, pilots are needed seven days a week. Depending on the company you are flying with it might be years before you have enough seniority to take Sundays off.

NMS, to answer you question I have heard nothing but good thing about Embry Riddle. Many of my fellow co-workers are Embry Riddle graduates and are excellent employees. Good luck in your continuing education.