EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02232009/gossi...fair_156567.htm

05.jpg

Later,
Eye

I also say "good for him", and no doubt he deserves and is entitled to any invitation he gets. The VF Oscar after-party has always been the most sought after invitation and even some of Hollwood's best don't always make it onto the guest list.

But....at what point does the perception be that he's milking the acolades? Superbowl. Innaugration. Talk show circuit and now Oscar party. I frankly don't know what else he could possibly be offered that would top any of those things.

I also say "good for him", and no doubt he deserves and is entitled to any invitation he gets. The VF Oscar after-party has always been the most sought after invitation and even some of Hollwood's best don't always make it onto the guest list.

But....at what point does the perception be that he's milking the acolades? Superbowl. Innaugration. Talk show circuit and now Oscar party. I frankly don't know what else he could possibly be offered that would top any of those things.

SNL

I think Skiles was there to but working back in the kitchen with the other three girls.

You know what good for him. Every now and again a story captures the hearts and minds of the American People.

You're absolutely right. Good for him.

I am glad that Sully and crew saved those lives that day. I like to think, however, that any of our crewmembers would have accomplished the exact same thing given that set of circumstance. The river was the only plausible option; every airline captain in the country would have ended up in the same place.

That being said, I wonder how the media would have reacted if a non-military academy grad, non-ex-fighter pilot, not dashingly handsome captain had accomplished the same thing?

What if it had been the late Captain Jim Brown, God rest his soul, in all his 300+ pound, shaggy haired, good-ole-boy splendor that had set his airliner down in the Hudson so professionally and successfully?

Somehow, I doubt our shallow mass media would have taken quite as much note.

Answer- a good paying job( where his worth counts) anywhere but here at Useless Air!

You're absolutely right. Good for him.

I am glad that Sully and crew saved those lives that day. I like to think, however, that any of our crewmembers would have accomplished the exact same thing given that set of circumstance. The river was the only plausible option; every airline captain in the country would have ended up in the same place.

That being said, I wonder how the media would have reacted if a non-military academy grad, non-ex-fighter pilot, not dashingly handsome captain had accomplished the same thing?

Not sure where your going with those statements, but if your suggesting that what Sulley and his crew did any pilot and crew could have done....your wrong sir. Should we expect that all crews would have landed the aircraft safely and all passengers evacuated safely. Yes, but the reality is all wouldn't be successful. "The river was the only plausible option; every airline captain...." Easy to say when the heat isn't on. Perhaps some other pilot would have believed he had enough lift left to make it back to the airport... Sulley and crew made it look easy. Don't think it was.

Not sure where your going with those statements, but if your suggesting that what Sulley and his crew did any pilot and crew could have done....your wrong sir. Should we expect that all crews would have landed the aircraft safely and all passengers evacuated safely. Yes, but the reality is all wouldn't be successful. "The river was the only plausible option; every airline captain...." Easy to say when the heat isn't on. Perhaps some other pilot would have believed he had enough lift left to make it back to the airport... Sulley and crew made it look easy. Don't think it was.

You couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I would bet Sully would be the first in line to disagree with your assertion. From the start, he always said that he was simply doing the job he was trained to do. Do you think somehow only Sully got that "special" training that only he could do?

And, if you're correct in your assertion, then anyone who boarded a commercial airliner as a passenger would have to be a lunatic or a fool.

"The river was the only plausible option; every airline captain...." Easy to say when the heat isn't on.

Is Sully the only airline captain that can think calmly when the heat is on? God help us all, then.

DUH! He did what he was trained to do...the same thing all airline pilots are trained to do.

Sully should accept any and all tributes and interviews.

Absolutely I would rather see this giant of a man appear on my screen instead of that goofy octomom Suleman.

Our kids are watching this stuff too.

You couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I would bet Sully would be the first in line to disagree with your assertion. From the start, he always said that he was simply doing the job he was trained to do. Do you think somehow only Sully got that "special" training that only he could do?

And, if you're correct in your assertion, then anyone who boarded a commercial airliner as a passenger would have to be a lunatic or a fool.

Is Sully the only airline captain that can think calmly when the heat is on? God help us all, then.

DUH! He did what he was trained to do...the same thing all airline pilots are trained to do.

Naturally he said he was just doing the job he was trained to do. I'll bet you the training he received in the Military on how to handle life threatening situations is superior to any equivalent civilian training. I've seen how both train. I'll take military training any day. Has every pilot been exposed to the type of training Sulley has had? I'll bet you again that many have not. Experience was another key. Is every pilot as experienced as Sulley? Simply receiving training is not the same as employing the training in a calm cool manner. This is where military training is superior than equivalent civilian training. In the military the training is repeated many times over, whereas civilian training is not repeated as often in comparision. Repetetion, practice, these factors improve the skills to handle the training scenarios. Experience also played a factor. In fact many factors where involved and Sulley only had control over a few of them, and the ones he did have control over he hit a home run when it counted.

Latest posts