Sully's Today Show Appearance Canceled

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28688215/

"...Sullenberger had been scheduled to give his first public interview on Monday morning to NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer, but the appearance was canceled Sunday at the request of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association.

Stephen Bradford, president of the association, said he asked Sullenberger not to engage in any media activities because the pilots association has "interested party" status with the NTSB, which allows it to participate in the investigation. ..."

Sully is going to the inaugural.

Later,
Eye

P.S. Here we go Steelers, Here we go! Pittsburgh is going to the Super Bowl.... :up:

Stephen Bradford, president of the association, said he asked Sullenberger not to engage in any media activities because the pilots association has "interested party" status with the NTSB, which allows it to participate in the investigation. ..."

This is the excuse usapa gives? What does this even mean, other than usapa's attempt to display its self-aggrandizing ego?

Sully's appearance in any media would be huge!! Bradford is making a big, big mistake with this one.

Sheesh........

Another completely idiotic move at the Behest of their ambulance chasing mascot...Seham.

This is the excuse usapa gives? What does this even mean, other than usapa's attempt to display its self-aggrandizing ego?

Sully's appearance in any media would be huge!! Bradford is making a big, big mistake with this one.

Sheesh........

The USAPA update explained it. Sounds like Captain Sully understands this too.

Bus Driver

Edited by moderator:
Lets keep ALL personal comments out of this.

NLC,

Sounds like Captain Sully understands this too.

Bus Driver

Why? was he threatened with a hysterically fabricated lawsuit?

That is your "unions" specialty you know.

I love how Capt. Sully is wearing hs 20 year ALPA PIN in photos.

That's probably what bunched up Bradfords pink silky panties.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28688215/

"...Sullenberger had been scheduled to give his first public interview on Monday morning to NBC "Today" show host Matt Lauer, but the appearance was canceled Sunday at the request of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association."

I don't know that this is such a bad thing. Geesh, the incident "just" happened. Sully, if I may be so informal, needs time, as does his crew. Matt and Today are looking for ratings, the crew needs time, decompression and then when the NTSB interviews, US interviews and the USAPA interviews are over, let him gon on Today, Tomorrow, Lou Dobbs, then hit Oprah when she's back from DC. Sulley made sure during the flight that the training kicked in, the "t's" and "i's" were crossed and dotted and a spectacular water landing occured. Make sure that investagational interviews occur and then hit the "hero" tour, if he so choose's.

Well obviously Sully had agreed to this - then USAPA stepped in and said no. I personally would love to hear the story and I think that every American is wanting to not only hear the story but connect with this heroic person. If he felt uncomfortable then he would have not been booked as a guest. This is a fantastic story that everyone wants to be connected to. I am in disbelief that USAPA shut this down. Bad move. "Interested party" with the NTSB? Give me a break - the details have already been given by them - put the face and emotions to the public that are hailing him the hero that he is.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist over this, please keep in mind that usually when there is an accident all comments to the media have to go through Corporate Communications unless otherwise cleared.

I was surprised the company would allow it much less the union.

The crew needs to rest. They just got home and Sulley's still on the road. Poor guy.

If it were me, I'd want to crawl in bed and sleep for a week.

January 18, 2009

COMMUNICATIONS: A word about on-going communications concerning Flight 1549. To understand the role and limitations of USAPA communicating information on Flight 1549, we need to have a basic knowledge of how the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) works. The NTSB is solely an investigative agency, free from any other government agency thereby isolating it from as many outside influences as possible with the goal of preventing future accidents.

The NTSB has no regulatory power, they instead issue recommendations. Communications to the public therefore is a powerful tool that assists the NTSB in getting their recommendations accepted by the lawmakers, controlling government agencies or private corporations. They guard this tool wisely and veraciously, as their recommendations are always in the interest of safety.

USAPA was granted “interested partyâ€￾ to the investigation and, as we reported to you, USAPA pilots are on five of the nine working groups. All interested parties must conform to the NTSB communications protocols or risk being removed from the investigation.

The basic restriction occurs when discussing any specifics to the accident - it must only come from information provided by the NTSB – no speculation permitted.

Pilots Union is going to look bad

This is most likely why I don't do unions because I'd tell Bradford to "Kiss my Assets in Macy's Window"
Bob,

Would you please (re) comment after reading comment (#10) by westpuslot?

I would think USAPA is truly representing their pilots by preserving their chance to be "at the table" during the investigation. I believe Sully, working in accident investigation, understands this. I am quite certain, being the quiet and reticent dude he is that he did not "approve" the public show.

The pilot's union will only look bad if they cannot explain the whys and wherefores to the public.

and, NLC. Please tell us you do not fly an aircraft. I like your enthusiasm but please, let experience temper it into wisdom.

Sounds like it's pretty much explained there. USAPA, is adhearing to the NTSB wishes, and the union gets to be invitied on the investigation teams. As part of the investigation is the crew itself I'm sure they've been asked to not talk to the media. Sure it would be great to see the crew on the talk show circuit and hear what happened, but in the bigger picture what purpose would it serve? I've heard people talk as though doug would suddenly gain respect for us, and kneel down to change the terms of our contracts to make us better paid etc. (please, whose dreaming here) Or that the public will finally respect pilots and there would be a public outcry at what we are paid. (again, who's dreaming here)

Besides, with the Inauguration tomorrow, the media and public interest will be taken over by the new presidency, and anything happening today will be quickly forgotten. Meanwhile if the talking to the public is timed with the NTSB final report or something, it may stay in people's minds longer, but then again, it may not.

Either way it sounds like the Union is abiding by wishes transmitted by the NTSB. Now of course if the union were to send the crew on a media tour, and then was blackballed by the NTSB, there's be detractors saying, OMG I can't believe USAPA let that happen, now our accident investigation capability is forever doomed, our union is doomed, blah blah blah

As much as I would have liked the see his interview, I can understand it be cancelled. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to the NTSB and the company to do a public interview during an ongoing investigation. I'm sure he will be able to speak openly about the fight at a later date.

As much as I would have liked the see his interview, I can understand it be cancelled. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to the NTSB and the company to do a public interview during an ongoing investigation. I'm sure he will be able to speak openly about the fight at a later date.

This morning Matt said the Sully interview was delayed a day or two because the NTSB needed needed to conclude their interviews first. I would assume tomorrow will be full of the inauguration so hopefully Wednesday he will be on the Today show.