SWA starts flying from both airports in Houston and Chicago

I'm not sure why George Bush, but it makes sense at O'Hare. I would guess some airlines will be vacating gates to save money and WN may get those gates at a reduced fee...... for now

Reactions: swamt
re: Dallas.... the Compromise agreement requires WN to give up gates at DAL on a 1:1 basis if they start up service at DFW before 2025 when the Compromise is sunsetted.

Business traffic is what makes DAL so appealing, and I don't see it returning to previous levels, or at least not in the next 24 months.

If WN were to take the schedule at DAL down 30%, they could give up four or five gates and not skip a beat. That might make it worth picking up two at DFW to see what they can do.

re: Dallas.... the Compromise agreement requires WN to give up gates at DAL on a 1:1 basis if they start up service at DFW before 2025 when the Compromise is sunsetted.

Business traffic is what makes DAL so appealing, and I don't see it returning to previous levels, or at least not in the next 24 months.

If WN were to take the schedule at DAL down 30%, they could give up four or five gates and not skip a beat. That might make it worth picking up two at DFW to see what they can do.
I was being a little sarcastic about Dallas (DFW) You are correct about the 1:1 on the gates, but, I don't see SWA giving up any gates at LF. Especially with the Delta gate fight still in the works. SWA will happily wait until 2025 before giving up any gates at LF. I think you are also correct and I agree with a possible trial period to try and see what happens at DFW, but, never say never I always say...

Because they smell blood in the water...
Well, SWA did say they will pounce when the opportunity arrives. One of the many reasons they have packed away 15 Billion, as well as not taking any extra gov. loans with more strigent strings attached so they can do whatever they want to do freely.

DL an WN both have been taking market share from UA & AA. WN's also not shy about taking a swing- they've been doing that in MSP, DTW, SLC, and ATL.

These latest moves just seem like more outsized, direct plays since most everyone else is in retreat mode.

Very true. SWA has told us when this first hit that they will expand at every chance they get if/when the other airlines pull back. They never picked out any particular airline, just said any airline. Looks like UAL and AA are the key targeted areas at this time, but also remember they already expanded in JB backyard when they reduced and pulled flights out, and Alaska was another one, so there really is no one airline or a certain airline being targeted, it's just the fact of where the most profitable flights will be when the passengers start to return to the skies.
But to be expanding as much as SWA is, AND asking for concessions starting in 2021 just doesn't make sense to a lot of people, so of course all the unions are in agreement to not agree to concessions at this time...

Latest posts