wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Southwest to consider relocating to Phoenix

07:53 PM CST on Friday, February 24, 2006
WFAA-TV

DMN archive
Phoenix asked to make the pitch and Southwest agreed Dallas-located Southwest Airlines Co. has agreed to hear a proposal from Phoenix on the possibility of relocating its headquarters there, airline officials have confirmed.

Sources told WFAA's Dan Ronan that Phoenix asked for the chance to make a proposal and that the airline agreed.

The discussion could raise the stakes in Southwest's effort to repeal Wright amendment restrictions on long-haul flights from Dallas Love Field.

A full report on the pitch will appear in the Dallas Morning News on Saturday and on Channel 8's 10 p.m. news

The local news in PHX said the city was asked to make a bid.
Either way there is zero chance LUV leaves Texas, Dallas maybe Texas no.
Even if they left Texas it makes no sense to move to PHX. If they feel they need to leave Texas to form a more national appeal the would re-locate in MDW or BWI or PPHl even LAS before PHX. Makes no sense at all, this is a pure leverage play IMHO.

Random thoughts...

1/ We're still in a sweeps rating period. They'd put Mother Theresa on in a bikini if they thought it would attract viewers. During sweep, every molehill is a mountain...

2/ The WFAA guy that did the story is the same that breathlessly reported a BIG story on a really serious security threat out at DFW--the gate in the fence around the Maverick (TTT) VOR had been left UNLOCKED! Gasp! Oh, the horror! No, he's not an idiot reporter that doesn't know his arse from a VOR, he's a commercial multi-engine rated pilot who should know better.

I'll believe a move when I see it. If I really wanted to ensure that it was going to happen, I'd re-finance my house, and the relo annoucement would hit a week after I closed... ;)

I read on aol business news that SWA may be considering moving its headqrters from DAL to PHX due to the FAILURE of Congrss to repeal the Wright Amendment. May be someone can put a link or part of article on here or somethin

I read on aol business news that SWA may be considering moving its headqrters from DAL to PHX due to the FAILURE of Congrss to repeal the Wright Amendment. May be someone can put a link or part of article on here or somethin

Go to www.dallasnews.com (free registration); they have plenty of articles...

I got it from a good source that they are not about to leave DFW. It is in all likley hood just polictical maneuvering. By the way I have a question: About how many A&P Mechanics does Southwest in Phoenix?And how many flight are there per day? Thanks Carl

I got it from a good source that they are not about to leave DFW. It is in all likley hood just polictical maneuvering. By the way I have a question: About how many A&P Mechanics does Southwest in Phoenix?And how many flight are there per day? Thanks Carl

Be kinda tough to leave DFW when they're not there to begin with.

Now Baltimore, MD is in the running. I personally don't understand the reasoning behind the Wright Amendment. The things Congress will or won't get involved in isn't consistent. They don't say a word about how many Wal-Marts' get built. Some people have claimed noise is a factor. Anyone that decides to buy a home near an airport is not going to escape hearing a plane take off. My question is this. Phoenix. Think about it for a moment. Isn't that the state that trained the replacement workers at NWA? How comfortable would the SWA mechs feel there? I don't even like the thought of it. I don't like the smell of it. I certainly hope it is all PR.

Now Baltimore, MD is in the running. I personally don't understand the reasoning behind the Wright Amendment. The things Congress will or won't get involved in isn't consistent. They don't say a word about how many Wal-Marts' get built. Some people have claimed noise is a factor. Anyone that decides to buy a home near an airport is not going to escape hearing a plane take off. My question is this. Phoenix. Think about it for a moment. Isn't that the state that trained the replacement workers at NWA? How comfortable would the SWA mechs feel there? I don't even like the thought of it. I don't like the smell of it. I certainly hope it is all PR.

Soon we are going to have 220 flights and 22 gates. We are a little bigger than DAL now without the further expansion. It's fun to speculate but there are too many deep roots set in Dallas to move.

"I think Mr. Kelleher told the governor that if the airline moves, Baltimore would be his No. 1 choice," he said.
In response to questions after his speech Tuesday at the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) annual industry forecast, Mr. Kelleher said there is no chance that Southwest will move to Phoenix.

http://washingtontimes.com/business/200603...03537-6641r.htm

My question is this. Phoenix. Think about it for a moment. Isn't that the state that trained the replacement workers at NWA? How comfortable would the SWA mechs feel there? I don't even like the thought of it. I don't like the smell of it. I certainly hope it is all PR.

It is probably all PR, but the NWA scabs could just as easily have been trained in Texas as here in Arizona!
Anyway, they were all here in Tucson, not up the road in our rival city. they were bused up to Marana (Pinal Co. Air Park) every day last summer to train on the parked NWA planes there.
One 'just desserts' story is that the downtown hotels that agreed to lodge the 'replacements' wound up being out a lot of $$ when NWA filed Chapter 11 and therefore didn't pay the bills they had run up at said hotels. One of the hotels, then a Radisson (has since been sold), even cancelled a large astronomy conference in order to acommodate the strikebreakers. See what greed will get ya!

One 'just desserts' story is that the downtown hotels that agreed to lodge the 'replacements' wound up being out a lot of $$ when NWA filed Chapter 11 and therefore didn't pay the bills they had run up at said hotels. One of the hotels, then a Radisson (has since been sold), even cancelled a large astronomy conference in order to acommodate the strikebreakers. See what greed will get ya!
Here's a feel good article about this:

http://www.azstarnet.com/business/114245.php

Now Baltimore, MD is in the running. I personally don't understand the reasoning behind the Wright Amendment. The things Congress will or won't get involved in isn't consistent.
First off the Wright Amendment is what made DFW airport possible. There were 2 or 3 commercial airports in the DFW metroplex. All of the cities in the metroplex agreed to basically eliminate commercial air travel at their individual airports and all go together and build one giant regional airport--that was the thing that was in vogue at the time.

Where DFW was built was in the boonies at the time. Everyone knew that given a choice of driving all the way to DFW or to Love Field or to (I forget the name of Ft. Worth's airport--Meacham?) they would pick the shorter route; so, all airlines at the time had to agree to move to the new airport when it opened. Also, Dallas had a lot more air service than Ft. Worth; so, Ft. Worth people were being forced to drive all the way to Love Field to go anywhere already. It was assumed that Love and the others would cut back to freight and private a/c general aviation type airports.

Also, the Federal government made it clear that they were not going to get involved in financing a mega-airport which would have to compete with smaller airports also supported with tax dollars. Thus, the Wright Amendment.

They don't say a word about how many Wal-Marts' get
built. Some people have claimed noise is a factor. Anyone that decides to buy a home near an airport is not going to escape hearing a plane take off.
First off, Wal-Mart does not ask the Federal government to pony up millions of dollars to build their buildings or to provide traffic control in the parking lot for years afterward. Airports want Federal money for construction; then, they want the FAA to provide ATC, and the DOT to build and maintain access roads to the terminal, and underwrite bonds when they want to remodel or add on.

A great many of the homes around Love Field were built well before Love Field was built. And, it's one thing to buy a home next to a small general aviation airport. It's another thing for that airport to turn into an ORD or an LAX. (Yes, I know that's an exaggeration in this particular case, but I'm just illustrating a point.) If everyone around Love Field had bought within the past 10 years--after the first modifications to the WA, I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

Jim -- you and I are simply never going to see eye to eye on the Wright Amendment, but I truly enjoy watching the tactics "pro-Wrighters" use to try and justify keeping this way-outdated law intact.

Chink, chink, chink ... :up:

It is probably all PR, but the NWA scabs could just as easily have been trained in Texas as here in Arizona!
Anyway, they were all here in Tucson, not up the road in our rival city. they were bused up to Marana (Pinal Co. Air Park) every day last summer to train on the parked NWA planes there.

Thank you "bubbleboy" ("the answer is 'moops'") for posting the AZ Daily Star story that I was summarizing from memory. Please forgive the minor errors in said summarization: It was an aeronautical engineering conference that had their rooms taken away, not astronomers, and one of the three hotels (Smuggler's Inn--nice place, BTW) is out here on the east side, NOT downtown. Not that either changes the gist of it...