SWAPA Side Letter Eight

studlyone

Mar 3, 2011
Total BS! Totally violates our CBA!

• Guarantees all aircraft, orders, options and deliveries come to Southwest Airlines and pilots on the current SWAPA Master Pilot Seniority List.

• Timing and coverage of the SWAPA CBA – when AirTran pilots receive our contractual benefits

• Manner in which any integrated seniority list will be utilized

• Provides a clear and concise definition of Complete Operational Merger which will be the foundation for when items such as the SWAPA CBA can be extended to AirTran pilots

• It reaffirms that separate operations will not exceed twenty-four months without mutual agreement between Southwest Airlines and SWAPA

• The agreement provides SWAPA the opportunity to open Section 6 negotiations six months prior to the September 1, 2012 amendable date specified in the CBA

• Provides Block Hour protections

• Protects our domicile RON aircraft levels

• Provides additional furlough protection above and beyond that specified in our CBA for up to one year after complete operational merger

• Guarantees the inclusion of SWAPA in the Southwest transitional planning process and allows for expedited arbitration for any disputes resultant to the application of this agreement

Anyone have the full language?

TO FUNNY! Does this mean that Airtran Pilots are not happy about how the merger is going at this point?

Be patient, first there was the offer, the FL stockholders just approved. AS soon as the DOJ makes their decision. THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL. Do we really think SWA will write a check to FL.

It is starting to look like SWA will write the check May 2nd.

What is a little unclear what that really means for the employees. Gary made some comments that contradict what ALPA is telling us. Fingers crossed.

What is a little unclear what that really means for the employees.

Probably nothing immediately. From a union perspective, the two sides could start the exchange/verification of seniority lists. In the next few months you'll start to see combining of facilities where appropriate, airplanes possibly being painted, etc. Probably in 4 to 6 months you'll see procedures standardized in preparation of getting both carriers on a single certificate. But the money changing hands doesn't automatically mean that things start changing the next day.

Jim

@QA4jet-A,

The difference is that the phrase I quoted implies uncertainty in the implementation.

That isn't what I'm hearing from my union. Hard to just shrug off the difference when the guy talking is the new boss (hopefully not the same as the old boss!) Honestly, I don't know exactly what it means, but it is a far cry from the assurances of "bullet proof" guarantees offered by our MEC vice chair.

Still crossing my fingers.

@QA4jet-A,

The difference is that the phrase I quoted implies uncertainty in the implementation.

That isn't what I'm hearing from my union. Hard to just shrug off the difference when the guy talking is the new boss (hopefully not the same as the old boss!) Honestly, I don't know exactly what it means, but it is a far cry from the assurances of "bullet proof" guarantees offered by our MEC vice chair.

Still crossing my fingers.

I find that level of naivete refreshing in someone your age. (Just joking.) When in the last ten years of the airline industry have you seen or heard of union-promised, "bullet-proof guarantees" being real or even "bullet-proof for all smaller caliber weapons?" When negotiations opened 3 years ago, my union at AA (APFA) assured us that not only would we get back everything we gave in concessions in 2003, but recoupment for inflation, and real raises on top of that. Well, the company's (and the NMB's) response to that is just to stall. And, under the RLA, there's nothing we can do about it. The NMB seems to have taken on the role of protector of the airline's financial position. They could very well do the same for WN. In fact, probably would as there is now "precedent" for such actions.

Are you willing for your union to dig in its heels, and you end up with a US Airways pilots kind of situation 5 years down the road? You know...where you are making a lot less and working a lot harder than your WN counterparts, and because of the way the RLA is written, you are working under your current contract still? Think about it.

Keep in mind that when you hear Gary Kelly talking about seniority integrations, that it's within the context of ALL employee groups and not just pilots. Integrating the pilot groups is a slightly different animal than integrating the ground ops workers.

Our ground departments are structured a lot different so I expect the biggest challenge will be determining what jobs the AirTran people will slide into on the Southwest side. We don't do that "cross utilized agent" thing, and it's complicated on two levels. The first level is that we separate the upstairs and downstairs jobs. Rampers only do ramp and operations only do operations. The second complexity is that customer service is not only a different job from the other two but a whole separate department with their own union. So the AirTran people who work in that "all in one" department are going to have to at some point declare or bid themselves into these classifications. There would probably have to be 2 bids that first decide IAM or TWU (CS or Ground Ops), then an additional bid from there to filter them into specific jobs. I expect that bid to be a fairly big deal for the AirTran folks because it will determine their JOB from that day forward. Crossing over departments after the fact results in forfeiture of seniority and pay, so you stay pretty locked into your department at Southwest.

Latest posts