System musings

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
Was checking my flights to SAN next month and saw that they''re pretty full. Then did a couple other searches, and it looks like US is scoring pretty well on its expansion routes. FLL-BDA appears packed for the next couple weeks. Europe (SNN/DUB) appears the same. Is this trend seen elsewhere?

Sales guy,

Being a former Air Cargo Agent when we were still PI, I worked in TPA where the LGW flight originated, I will tell you the Cargo we carry to Europe pays for the flight and the passengers are profit.

Same old story-
I doubt the FLTS ARE ALL free tkts...

We heard THAT story years ago--

Time for a new one....

I do counter/gates and THOSE ARE NOT freebies!

--------"Same old story-

Time for a new one....-----"

.....Which begs a question I rarely hear asked ( and even more rarely hear answered ) regarding "free" tickets:

Wouldn''t the marketing dept and accountants have crunched the numbers in an actuarial ( is that a word? ) sense first before offering such a program? I mean, wouldn''t each "free" frequent flyer ticket represent many more paid for...so that, on balance, you have more going into the kitty than going out? I might not be Adam Smith, but I''ve never heard of a "buy none, get one free" program.

I would welcome any knowledgeable explanation as to the nitty gritty of FF programs to show me where I might be mixed up.

----------------
On 7/21/2003 11:28:42 AM LavMan wrote:

Sales guy,

Being a former Air Cargo Agent when we were still PI, I worked in TPA where the LGW flight originated, I will tell you the Cargo we carry to Europe pays for the flight and the passengers are profit.

----------------​

Were that the case, then CCY is lying about PIT-LGW (since the pax loads would be "gravy").

----------------
On 7/21/2003 1:25:56 PM High Iron wrote:

--------"Same old story-

Time for a new one....-----"

.....Which begs a question I rarely hear asked ( and even more rarely hear answered ) regarding "free" tickets:

Wouldn''t the marketing dept and accountants have crunched the numbers in an actuarial ( is that a word? ) sense first before offering such a program? I mean, wouldn''t each "free" frequent flyer ticket represent many more paid for...so that, on balance, you have more going into the kitty than going out? I might not be Adam Smith, but I''ve never heard of a "buy none, get one free" program.

I would welcome any knowledgeable explanation as to the nitty gritty of FF programs to show me where I might be mixed up.

----------------​

Dividend Miles is the most profitable part of US Airways. They have indeed done the math and the free ticket carrot is very effective. Complaining that people use them and trying to paint routes where they are used heavily as "money losing" is disingenuous to say the least.