T5 @ JFK

viggen597

Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know, or have any information, about jetBlue and Terminal 5 at JFK? I know they have plans to build behind the main concourse building (B6 cant tear it down because its a historical landmark) but I know they want to tear down the fingers ... I also know the design company is Canadian but does anyone have any idea as to what theyre going to build, a timeline, and if they are going to do double jetbridges?

-dj-

The NY Times had a picture of the proposed design. It was a while ago, you could try to do a search on this web site or the NY Times.

From what I remember the orignal structure remains even part of the fingers remain. Then a horse shoe design/half moon is added to the fingers. So you have a terminal that is similar to the DFW concept. I don''t remember any date or time frame.

JetBlue is going to take over T5. EPA studies are going on now and the Port Authority & Jetblue are talking about the money. The design is to have the roadway go behind the Siren(sic) building that will be turned into a museum and/or resturant. The design does have plans for laser guided dual jet bridges. I think its 4-5 years away before completion.

----------------
On 5/14/2003 11:49:05 AM RowUnderDCA wrote:

Saarinen- Finnish architect
----------------​
He also designed the landside terminal at IAD.

----------------
On 5/14/2003 12:21:32 PM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

...and the main terminal at STL, which predates both his IAD and JFK works. A somewhat similar architectural theme runs through all three. Think "wings" and "flight".
Not to mention, of course, the Arch in said Missouri city...

Maybe research Saarinen ... and I know Vanity Fair just ran a small article on him and there was a picture (B&W) of T5 in the article ...

----------------
On 5/16/2003 11:05:22 AM runway4 wrote:

I have been dying to get a large, framed b&w photo of T5 and am having no luck (searched NY Time archives and IAA website). Any ideas out there?

----------------​

There's this organization known as "MAS" They've been submitting plans for the renovation of T5 that are trying to preserve it as a terminal, despite its small size. Anyway, Ive seen ads for them in the NY Subway too. So I think they are basically a 'arts preservation' society.... I think MAS stands for Municipal Arts Society. So that would by www.mas.org. They've got to have a website. Otherwise, try the Port Authority.... that would be www.PANYNJ.org

----------------
On 5/14/2003 12:21:32 PM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​
I.M. Pei designed the IAD terminal

According to the MWAA website (Metro Washington Airport Authority) it was in fact Saarinen, not Pei.

----------------
On 6/9/2003 5:54:42 PM luvn737s wrote:

----------------​
I.M. Pei designed the DCA terminal! Right city, wrong airport.

----------------
On 6/10/2003 6:07:11 PM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

I thought some anonymous architect in the W.P.A. designed the National terminal back in the late ''30s (DCA opened in ''41, replacing Hoover Field, located where the Pentagon now sits).
Guess you''re talking about the redo...

----------------
On 6/10/2003 6:07:11 PM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

You''re close...I.M. Pei designed the terminal for National Airlines at JFK, not National Airport in Washington. The building, now known as T6, was later TWA''s domestic terminal and--ironically, considering what started this whole discussion--is now the home of JetBlue. Pei also designed approximately 50 control towers around the country!

Cesar Pelli, not I.M. Pei, designed the new terminal at DCA.

----------------
On 6/11/2003 7:05:32 AM AAG2000 wrote:

Cesar Pelli, not I.M. Pei, designed the new terminal at DCA.
----------------​
You''re right, my bad! But I was close -- after all, both of their last names begin with a "P".