TAESL RIF Facts

The Rookie

Nov 25, 2015
I cannot believe no one has given any details of the RIF in TAESL.  Don't want the US Air guys to find out how the TWU does a RIF. Let me give a brief overview.              
                                            Mechanics with 9/10/1990 seniority are now OSM's at DWH to stay in the DFW metroplex.
                                 Mechanics with 9/10/1990 seniority or less get to go TUL as an OSM or take a mechanic position on SFO, SAN, LAX, ORD, LGA, JFK, MIA.
                                 Mysteriously there is not one bumpable mechanic at DFW or DWH, although there are over 350 mechanics with less than 9/10/1990 at DFW and 160 at DWH.

That's how the TWU looks out for it's members.  Nobody is mentioning how it really is.  Even the TWU backers can't defend it.  The TWU haters are saying "at least they aren't coming to my station."

Reactions: 4 people
Aah, isn't it great. I'll be sending a post card from Tulsa here shortly. Hope to see my friends at DFW and DWH soon.

Reactions: 1 person
The reason you're not seeing any bumpable positions at DFW or DWH, is because the contract uses the juniority system. The juniority system is the same way everyone else bumped in the past, this is nothing new.

Reactions: 6 people
Why would the IAM want to know how its done?

They already know, they have read your CBA.

The IAM system is way better for the employee than the TWU way.

The IAM for maintenance doesnt do juniority, you can exercise your seniority where ever you want to go as long as you can hold it.

Reactions: 4 people
I seem to remember about 6 months ago a whole bunch of DFW openings that went way senior compared to my lowly seniority.  In fact a bunch of 567 boys bailed out of TASEL, along with dozens more to DFW of the less senior TASEL AMT's.  So less than six months ago pretty much anybody thats complaining today could of been at DFW.  I know, as I said I tried bidding DFW and didn't come close.  Just a couple of months ago, there were a bunch of DFW crew chief openings that I bid and interviewed for, but only a few TASEL AMT's put in for.  So why the complaining now about a RIF system that has been in place for long before I hired on, especially since they all had plenty of chances to bail out of the well known sinking ship.  

Where was the outrage when those junior to them, like me were getting shipped all around the system just a couple of years ago.  Now those who rode the TASEL overtime to the very end have overplayed there hand and they want to change the rules for them.  Where was Larry to demand a change to the RIF process a couple of years ago when the company said they were shutting down AFW during the BK contract talks.  

Reactions: 6 people
700UW said:
Why would the IAM want to know how its done?
They already know, they have read your CBA.
The IAM system is way better for the employee than the TWU way.

The IAM for maintenance doesnt do juniority, you can exercise your seniority where ever you want to go as long as you can hold it.
Can you bump any mechanic or just within the workgroup like we do.  We can't bump junior title 2 mechanics here because they are on there own seniority list. Also, how does the recall work at airways.  I hear that they don't have recall rights ahead of those on the transfer list

700UW said:
They don't have title 1,2 or 3 at US.

A mechanic is a mechanic.
You mean the A&P License has little or no meaning?

I guess that is why the non A&P's at AA eventually started to receive Skill Premiums?

No you have to have an A&P to work the line, and at least one license to work the hangar.

The way it works is you have line maintenance, you have base maintenance, you have GSE and Plant Mtc.

You have leads and basic, you have to bump within your classification first, so a lead is suppose to bump a lead, if he cant hold a lead job at his station, he can bump down to a mechanic, same goes for a mechanic who holds lower classification seniority like stores or utility, he can bump down only if he cant hold his regular classification.

So if you have an A&P you can bump into GSE or Plant, but if you are a GSE mechanic who doesnt hold an A&P you cant bump into an area that requires one.

An A&P gets license pay and skill pay.

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
No you have to have an A&P to work the line, and at least one license to work the hangar.

The way it works is you have line maintenance, you have base maintenance, you have GSE and Plant Mtc.

You have leads and basic, you have to bump within your classification first, so a lead is suppose to bump a lead, if he cant hold a lead job at his station, he can bump down to a mechanic, same goes for a mechanic who holds lower classification seniority like stores or utility, he can bump down only if he cant hold his regular classification.

So if you have an A&P you can bump into GSE or Plant, but if you are a GSE mechanic who doesnt hold an A&P you cant bump into an area that requires one.

While the License pay is obvious, could you explain skill pay from your point of view?

700UW said:
They don't have title 1,2 or 3 at US.
A mechanic is a mechanic.
Going by the CBA, the only mechanics are OSMs and title 2 facility and GSE mechanics. Aircraft side is classified as Aviation Maintenance Technician.

700UW said:

When you say "an A&P gets license and skill pay", explain.
When they bump into GSE they still receive A&P license pay along with skill pay?
Or
Only when working as AMTs , they receive both license and skill pay?

You get paid for each license, then there is also skill pay which was $1 an hour when I was still there, its additional to your license pay.

And if you are in GSE you dont get license pay, only skill.

And yes you have to be using  your licenses to be getting paid for them, you have to be a base, line, or shop mechanic to get license pay.

Reactions: 1 person
The Rookie said:
I cannot believe no one has given any details of the RIF in TAESL.  Don't want the US Air guys to find out how the TWU does a RIF. Let me give a brief overview.              
                                            Mechanics with 9/10/1990 seniority are now OSM's at DWH to stay in the DFW metroplex.
                                 Mechanics with 9/10/1990 seniority or less get to go TUL as an OSM or take a mechanic position on SFO, SAN, LAX, ORD, LGA, JFK, MIA.
                                 Mysteriously there is not one bumpable mechanic at DFW or DWH, although there are over 350 mechanics with less than 9/10/1990 at DFW and 160 at DWH.

That's how the TWU looks out for it's members.  Nobody is mentioning how it really is.  Even the TWU backers can't defend it.  The TWU haters are saying "at least they aren't coming to my station."
Too bad the AFW guys were scared the DFW guys were going to take their weekends with a one station agreement.

Reactions: 3 people
Does anybody know where the TAESL guys went to ?

Stations and numbers, how many took early out?