teamster organizer or salseman....?

Chuck Schalk

Veteran
Nov 17, 2006
Organizers from the Teamsters have been saying that they have members as observers in negotiations to the AA mechanics to get them to sign cards. See the email below from a current Denver AMT lead.

The teamsters also say they can force American airlines to open the contract! Again another sales pitch unfounded.

If the teamsters are telling half truths now what will our future bring?

Another TWU?

If the IBT is telling the AA Mechanics that they allow member observers they are LYING, LYING, LYING. When I was on the negotiation committee and we met with the company for the very first time to set the ground rules for negotiations the company asked if there woud be member observers, the IBT said no and they do not believe in having observers, we are the IBT not AMFA. They refuse to have observers and time and time again they would reiterate that there is no way in HELL that they would allow that to ever happen. Having observers is very a stupid thing to do. It only means if you have observers they could not make THEIR BACKDOOR DEALS AND SCREW OVER THE MEMBERSHIP. After all it is about the bt not the MEMBERS. THEY ARE A COMPANY UNION.

AA MECHANICS DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THE UAL MECHANICS MADE.
GOOD LUCK

Ramon Gonzalez DENMM AMT Lead

P.S. If they do have observers they are ibt plants and they read a script that is given to them.

Reactions: 2 people
Chuck,

The only thing that will be "observed" in a reamster negotiation is the screwing of their members. My contacts at DWH say that the DFW business agent has his guys that work for DHL working split shifts. Yeah, you work 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with no overtime. What a screwing...

Reactions: 1 person
Chuck,

The only thing that will be "observed" in a reamster negotiation is the screwing of their members. My contacts at DWH say that the DFW business agent has his guys that work for DHL working split shifts. Yeah, you work 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with no overtime. What a screwing...

Isn't DHL a freight operation? Do they work shifts like that to cover inbound/outbound flights? Do they work shifts like that on weekend when the planes are parked?

Isn't DHL a freight operation? Do they work shifts like that to cover inbound/outbound flights? Do they work shifts like that on weekend when the planes are parked?

Does it matter? What type of union agrees to split shifts? Two commutes, double the expense, less free time, and to do it all for straight time rates?

Look at this "mighty teamster" DHL language
Full-time split shifts shall be on a voluntary basis, and if not taken, shall be

offered to the next employee on the seniority list.

Wait there's more
Delay

. In the event the DHL aircraft is delayed more than two (2) hours from its

currently scheduled arrival, the Company will have the right to back up start times and/or send

employees home without a guarantee. The Company will make reasonable efforts to contact the

employee one and one-half (1½) hours prior to their start time.

Look at this "mighty teamster" DHL language

Wait there's more

Wow, the first part didnt sound that bad but the second part, thats unreal. You have set aside your time for the job but then you may or may not get paid for that time through no fault of your own. You could show up for work at their assigned time, then be sent home without pay because the plane didnt arrive? Why have a contract? May as well stand on the corner with all the illegal aliens waiting for a contractor to pull up.

The teamsters also say they can force American airlines to open the contract! Again another sales pitch unfounded.

I may be off here, but is it not common knowledge that a CBA can't just be reopened with a simple change in representation?

Obviously, it seems like the IBT is banking on that ignorance, but I guess I always assumed most people at least a had rudimentary understanding of how these types of things worked.

Chuck,

IMO, split shifts are the worst possible scenario for anyone. Given the "usual" schedule of a freighter in late at night/out early in the morning (or vice versa), you'd think just working a full 8 or 10 on 3rd would make more sense? Hell, even PT sounds more appealing-and, no, I'm not advocating for that, either...

I may be off here, but is it not common knowledge that a CBA can't just be reopened with a simple change in representation?

Obviously, it seems like the IBT is banking on that ignorance, but I guess I always assumed most people at least a had rudimentary understanding of how these types of things worked.

The only way I know of for workers to get out of this contract and force the company into Section 6 would be to go non-union for a year, then the entire thing is null and void, then get a union and start from scratch. I think the IBT is misleading the people, not a good way to start off a long term relationship. Those are the tactics people use when they want to do something to the other then walk away. In other words believe what sounds too good to be true if you want to get screwed.

you just make things up as you go. who says you go a year non union and then the contract is null and void. your off your rocker old man. like one comedian said "it isn't a lie if you believe it". and i think you believe all the lies at spew out of your mouth.

you just make things up as you go. who says you go a year non union and then the contract is null and void. your off your rocker old man. like one comedian said "it isn't a lie if you believe it". and i think you believe all the lies at spew out of your mouth.

LINK(s) PROVIDED:

http://www.nmb.gov/representation/representation-manual.pdf

18.0 BARS TO REPRESENTATION APPLICATIONS

The NMB's representation bar procedures are set forth in the NMB Rules §1206.4 (29 CFR §1206.4).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/29/1206.4

§ 1206.4
Time limits on applications.
Except in unusual or extraordinary circumstances, the National Mediation Board will not accept an application for investigation of a representation dispute among employees of a carrier:
(a) For a period of two (2) years from the date of a certification covering the same craft or class of employees on the same carrier, and
(B) For a period of one (1) year from the date on which:
(1) The Board dismissed a docketed application after having conducted an election among the same craft or class of employees on the same carrier and less than a majority of valid ballots cast were for representation; or
(2) The Board dismissed a docketed application covering the same craft or class of employees on the same carrier because no dispute existed as defined in § 1206.2 of these rules; or
(3) The Board dismissed a docketed application after the applicant withdrew an application covering the same craft or class of employees on the same carrier after the application was docketed by the Board.
[44 FR 10602, Feb. 22, 1979, as amended at 75 FR 26088, May 11, 2010]

time limits on applications. no where does it say after 1 year of non union shop is the contract null and void. if this is what you are trying to explain. sorry

I asked labor lawyer.

time limits on applications. no where does it say after 1 year of non union shop is the contract null and void. if this is what you are trying to explain. sorry

The contract is null and void when the union is decertified, but you have to wait a year to get another union.

If your lack of knowledge in basic labor law, and the teamsters constitution is an example of the representation that we should expect under the teamsters, I'll pass.